Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Living with a thing for 3 years
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Living with a thing for 3 years Reply with quote

Getting the thing reaty for the trip to Kubel Treffen 2013 and i got to thinking 3 years ago i was getting the thing reading for Kubel Treffen 2010. Brother Ron was painting the doors on thursday I had just put the engine in. I had just retired from the vw dealership in jan. I wanted a thing brother gave me a thing that was a donner car for 2 other things not much left no engine just a pile of rust and i had 6 month to the show i told the wife i would make this a car for little money between the parts in my garage and the parts in Rons garage all the help from brother i built the car for 800.00 out of pocket money and i made the show. In the last 3 years i have been on this web site i have met and talked to a lot of thing owners everybody on this site is great I hope i have helped a few people with there things. I have also been with brother Ron and we have built a few things for other people. My thing has been good to me in 3 years i have driven it 14,723 miles i drive it everyday and still enjoy it . i have updated it to some new parts in the 3 years. This month it got a new steering box, disk brakes, new tires, new tts top i thought it was time.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
before

after

Mine and Brother Ron and Grandkids thing
what it look like today after 3 years and 14723 miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are such a great Thing family resource/inspiration/advise center. Thanks for hanging around with us. K-mann
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GodJockey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kubelmann wrote:
You guys are such a great Thing family resource/inspiration/advise center. Thanks for hanging around with us. K-mann

I concour.

I really hope when I finish my Thing I get to use it as much as you do... and not worry it's honna break down heh
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!! the rockers were that bad and it looks that great now! Awesome. ??

Im glad you are on this site Dennis, you are always very knowledgable and quick to help.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, brother and I enjoy helping and yes the thing was junk and it was built using pieces of junk from other junk things that is why I build it for small money . So if anyone thinks that their things is not rebuildible think again with a lot of help from family and friends anything is possible.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and your brother are a true inspiration to all of us Thing fanatics. I have driven my Thing 11,000 miles in the past 5 years and it has been a total blast. My car needs a bunch of work to look as good as yours, but you truly have given me hope. Thanks for your great information, and spirit Dennis!
JayC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had 1/10th the skill both you of have. Your help to me as well as almost everyone on this group has been invaluable!

I'm getting closer with mine and it was a lot more than $800 out of pocket Very Happy
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more years with the Thing a lot of car shows still driving it everyday it now how has 25107 miles still having fun Ron and I are still building Things we have gone to many shows We have a great website that a lot of Thing owners use and I hope Thing owners enjoy http://kubeltreffen181.com I have drove on the Monster Mile . The Thing is still going great . It still looks good enough that a professional photographer wanted to take a picture at the last show. This car has been the most fun of any car that I have owned it is a great car for shows or daily driving I drive it year round.

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis-
Use this photo instead Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still in front.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't please everybody Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: