Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

The brake, from what i can tell, can only go that way, otherwise the handbrake hole would be on the wrong side. That way, the brake bleeder is at the bottom of the brake backing plate too.

Not if each backing plate was switched over to the other axle. Having the brake bleeder at top would also work.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Did you tighten the axel nut?

It will leak between the spacer and the axel until the axel nut is tight. Tightening the axel nut squeezes the O-ring between the bearing or washer and spacer.
i though about it too, which is why before trying anything, i tried to put everything back together and see. I didnt tighten it all the way, but as much as i could with my hand and a medium size ratchet. Still was leaking.

To me it kinda didnt make sense that it leaks that much when the drum is out, would be a bitch to work with no?

Eric&Barb wrote:
Enkiel wrote:

The brake, from what i can tell, can only go that way, otherwise the handbrake hole would be on the wrong side. That way, the brake bleeder is at the bottom of the brake backing plate too.

Not if each backing plate was switched over to the other axle. Having the brake bleeder at top would also work.

If i switch them from left to right, i end up with a handbrake tube that face the rear of the bus, no?

EDIT : i think i understand... switching side, and turning them 180 degree.... Make sense. Man, i'm slow sometimes...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Exactly.

Here is a RR brake system on a type 3:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is LR:

From type 3 workshop manual:

Think the funnel shape around bearing cover acts as an gear oil drain?

You can see the bearing cover shape in the third image has the other drain inside it. The bearing cover you are using looks like the drain area has been ground off.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
From type 3 workshop manual:

Think the funnel shape around bearing cover acts as an gear oil drain?

You can see the bearing cover shape in the third image has the other drain inside it. The bearing cover you are using looks like the drain area has been ground off.

there is a hole on the backing plate for drain, but i dont think there's one on the plate.

Guess i'll get onto swapping the brake left to right.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

there is a hole on the backing plate for drain, but i dont think there's one on the plate.

Guess i'll get onto swapping the brake left to right.

If the second plate you mean is the bearing cover. Looks like that part of the casting was ground off. Need another set of bearing covers.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

So long time letting the bus sit...

i'm trying to locate the part above the engine, after letting one go in canada that i shouldnt (feeling bad about it).

I'm now looking at bay part to replace it. Which years would be correct? Not sure what/where to look to find that information.

Just a reminder, the uglies ;

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
So long time letting the bus sit...

i'm trying to locate the part above the engine, after letting one go in canada that i shouldnt (feeling bad about it).

I'm now looking at bay part to replace it. Which years would be correct? Not sure what/where to look to find that information.

Suggest you keep tackling other stuff for now. That panel or enough pieces to fix what you have will show up. At worst you could screw down a chunk of plywood over that area to get it drivable for the time being. Especially if you replace the flattish edge of the panel with plain donor metal.

Do know a restoration shop in E. Oregon that should have that panel, or at least most of it, but the shipping to Canada would be prohibitive. Unless you know of someone from up your way passing thru or set up a relay of VW bus owners to get it over the border.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

So, now that the summer crazy time-lets-play-soccer-5-night-a-week is almost over, i have time to work on putting the bus back into working condition.

My goal is now to get the engine in. Let me say this ; i did this before, with a single carb engine, and it was pretty simple... altho i did it with my dad.

Dad no longer being here, i'm a bit puzzled.... how do you get the engine in with double carb? I can hardly slide it from behind, as there's very little room where the valve cover or the carb do not hit the apron bracket.

From under? The hole is smaller than the width of the carbs....

I tried for a good 20 minutes before realizing until i have an idea how to do it, i better ask and avoid scratching anything.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

so installing the engine was more of a challenge than i remembered... too me a good 2 hours to get it in and tight it up (still have 1 bolt to tighten).

Now is time to connect everything. So far, the whole wiring loom was pretty clear, and i didnt really have to question anything, but now, i'm sure of nothing!

The wiring diagram shows 3 cable : a blue and green, a black and a red and black. Blue and green going to the oil sensor, the black going to the coil, and the red and black going to the generator (or alternator? I'm never sure which is what).

Did i make a mistake? Feels like i got something wrong, but i'm not 100% sure....

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

The wiring diagram shows 3 cable : a blue and green, a black and a red and black. Blue and green going to the oil sensor, the black going to the coil, and the red and black going to the generator (or alternator? I'm never sure which is what).
Did i make a mistake? Feels like i got something wrong, but i'm not 100% sure....

Do you have the large red/black wire from the altenator stud to the battery cable at starter? Should have three red wires at starter. Two red at battery cable and one on the blade terminal.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

You need to get the cables thru the proper holes in the body they go thru. Also get the grommets for each of those holes in the body so each hole edge does not cut thru the wiring insulation and cause a nasty wiring fire!

Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Enkiel wrote:

Do you have the large red/black wire from the altenator stud to the battery cable at starter? Should have three red wires at starter. Two red at battery cable and one on the blade terminal.
I have a large red wire with an O ring on one side and a big female clip on the other. i figured that's the one that goes from the alternator...

I'll check what cable i have left from the bunch and report back.

Quote:
You need to get the cables thru the proper holes in the body they go thru. Also get the grommets for each of those holes in the body so each hole edge does not cut thru the wiring insulation and cause a nasty wiring fire!
I didnt install the grommets yet, but i did get them with the wiring harness... i guess i picked the wrong hole when i got the cable through?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

Quote:
I didnt install the grommets yet, but i did get them with the wiring harness... i guess i picked the wrong hole when i got the cable through?

Main wiring harness and battery cable do not use same hole.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Ok, i did some digging.... first, i might have ordered the wrong harness...

http://store.concept1.ca/Complete-Harness-T2-63-64-WW-211971013G-WW/

I went with this thinking it was what i needed, but reading the description ;

Quote:
Fits these years with voltage regulator located remotely.

oopsies...

I probably should have went with this one ;

http://store.concept1.ca/Complete-Harness-T2-1965-WW-211971013H-WW/

Anyway, now that i know my mistake, how do i fix this?

My last big red cable, which is identified as :
Battery to voltage regulator B+ (Only needed if missing from battery cable)

And my last cable to connect from the main harness ;

#61 Voltage REgulator
Oil Pressure Switch
Ignition Coil #15
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

I am going to assume the alternator has a built-in regulator and one blade connector and one stud connection...

The voltage regulator wire will go to the blade connection on alternator.

The battery to voltage regulator wire will go from alternator stud to battery cable at starter. I see it has a blade connector that will need to be switched to a ring terminal to connect to the alternator stud.

Edit: found this

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

The battery to voltage regulator wire will go from alternator stud to battery cable at starter. I see it has a blade connector that will need to be switched to a ring terminal to connect to the alternator stud.

If one has a junk sealed beam headlight bulb, you can unsolder one of the brass tabs and use it to adapt the alternator to accept the spade terminal.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

I'm still trying to find the component to redo my alternator-to-battery cable. Asked an electrician friend of mine, but ended up empty handed, as they didnt have the correct Gauge, or the correct plastic to cover the cable.

I'm gonna try Napa after work. Not much hope there, but i figured they might have something or at least an idea where i could find what i'm missing. For some reason, nobody sells that cable it seems.

I'm still trying to figure out a good way to "hide" the cable, or at least keep them out of harm ways. Figured the best place would be behind the doghouse, but the lack of clip kinda bugs me...

Another question ; I'm still trying to make sure how to connect the coil (with the warning on it from the builder, i'm scared to connect it incorrectly and bust the thing). The cable #15, he goes on the + ? (that's what i figured out from the different thread on here) Should there be anything to connect to the - of the coil? The wiring diagram shows nothing other than what goes to the distributor, but i have an extra connector on mine.... Confused
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

Another question ; I'm still trying to make sure how to connect the coil (with the warning on it from the builder, i'm scared to connect it incorrectly and bust the thing). The cable #15, he goes on the + ? (that's what i figured out from the different thread on here) Should there be anything to connect to the - of the coil? The wiring diagram shows nothing other than what goes to the distributor, but i have an extra connector on mine.... Confused

#15 is more than one, in other words it is the place for more than one wire.

#1 is the connection for the one small wire to the distributor, without that one wire it will not work. At least that is how I remember these connections.

Only other thing you can connect to the #1 connection is a tach so it can sense the points opening and closing. All you need to get to cover the cable is black heat shrink.

Would not try to hide the regulator to battery cable up in front of the shroud. Better to have it on the rear if shroud so as to be able to keep an eye on it for wear and tear.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Ive always wired the hot lead from the alternator directly to the battery.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
#15 is more than one, in other words it is the place for more than one wire.
Oh yeah, there's one leaving the terminal to the distributor. I meant the cable that is supposed to go to "ignition coil #15" on this image

Eric&Barb wrote:
#1 is the connection for the one small wire to the distributor, without that one wire it will not work. At least that is how I remember these connections.
Those wire came with the engine (Powerhaus). There's two cable coming from the + and - of the coil going to the distributor.

Eric&Barb wrote:
Only other thing you can connect to the #1 connection is a tach so it can sense the points opening and closing. All you need to get to cover the cable is black heat shrink.
Tach goes there? that's good to know. Might be intererested to install that eventually.

Eric&Barb wrote:
Would not try to hide the regulator to battery cable up in front of the shroud. Better to have it on the rear if shroud so as to be able to keep an eye on it for wear and tear.
On original bus, there was no clip anywhere to hold these cable into places? I kinda hate seeing them moving around.

Oh and last night i finally managed to find someone to make me a cable for my alternator to battery.... took me 7 (seven!!!!) different stores before i could find one with even just the right cable. That took definately much longer than anticipated... but the good news, they did a good job, and was only 2$ ! (cost me probably 10x that just driving around to find someone to make it)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: