Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Ive always wired the hot lead from the alternator directly to the battery.
for some reason, the 2015 me bough the wiring harness with external regulator...

actually, the reason is pretty simple, i had (and pretty much still do) have zero knowledge on electricity (houses or cars).
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Lets put it this way. The points ground the coil when they close. That black wire comes from the ignition switch powers the ignition system. Stock 1963 VW fan shrouds have a clip for the cables thru that right side.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So last weekend i went ahead and tried to start the bus and figure out what's wrong with what i did so far, despite 5 kids running around the house, and a wife on night shift...

I was hoping for the best, but expecting the worst, so i was a bit surprised when i turned the key, and both light on the speedo lighted up.

Here's the issue i faced ;
- When i turned the key, engine turned, but nothing more. Fuel goes at least to the filter under the bus (engine was made by Powerhaus, and they put the end of rubber hose under the engine, which is fine by me).
- High beam work. Low beam just turn off the lights. (or maybe its opposite, i'm not 100% sure, but it look bright enough to be high beam). Parking light works.
- Flasher do not work. At all. I do not hear any "tic tic" and there's no light on the speedo saying my flasher are on.

For the engine, is there any 1-man-way to figure out if there's power going to the spark plug? I think the "usual" way is to unplug one, and try to turn the engine with it touching the case, but i'd like to find a way that do not require the wife...

High beam / low beam. Could it be that my push button on the floor isnt bolted on? I mean, is there a bolt (or screw, whatever) that serve as ground as well as attach point? Or is it because i mixed some wires?

Flasher. My switch on the steering is a bit... grimmy (?) when i try to push it to one side or the other. There's some drags. Should i try to take it apart and clean it, or is there something else i should check first?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Put one of those five kids into service when you need them to turn on and off the ignition key...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Put the key to the on position, rotate engine by hand with the test light connect to check as if it were running. Because it is... just with one human power instead of 50HP.

Although, I suppose this doesn't tell you for sure that you are getting power when cranking... ... go get one of those 5 kids.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Flashers, do your wipers and horn work? They are on the same fuse as the flashers. Far right fuse. Sometimes the fuse block looses connection even with a good fuse.

Headlights is likely wires mixed up at dimmer switch. White wires swapped would give high only.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

To get the engine to run you need Air, Fuel, Spark, and Compression. The loss of any of those will cause failure.

1. Both the coil and the turn signal switch, if wired as stock, should get voltage from the ignition switch when turned to run and start positions. Need to check that voltage is getting to where you need it. Disconnect the small wire going from the coil to the distributor when leaving the ignition turned on with engine not running for much more than a minute. Failure to do this can result in burnt points if they are in the closed position, resulting in spark failure afterward,

2. Just because there is fuel down that low does not mean that fuel is getting up to the carb. Pull off the air cleaner and use a flash light with small mirror to see if the accelerator pump spray fuel. Full fuel tank in buses, not trucks, will keep thecarb supplied with fuel due to gravity, if fuel pump is not blocking the flow.

3. Do a WWW search for "Remote Starter Switch". Harbor Freight has such for about $10.00.

4. Headlights, again need to check that voltage is getting to where it should be getting. A test light or better yet a multi-meter is a must have tool for such. Recheck that the wiring is correct with the wiring diagram from beginning to end. Could even be someone switched wires at the headlight bulb plugs.

5. Take the turn signal switch out of the housing and spray out the switching contacts area with contact cleaner with silicon, and oil up the pivots. Just try to not let the CC get all over the interior of the bus, it will cause problems with any painting later.

6. Get a stock generator pulley and fasteners. Dump that chrome Chinese junk that will cause you problems down the road.
faster-laster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

For the engine, is there any 1-man-way to figure out if there's power going to the spark plug? I think the "usual" way is to unplug one, and try to turn the engine with it touching the case, but i'd like to find a way that do not require the wife...

Use a combination ground wire and your cell phone camera. Pull the plug and wrap exposed wire on the threads to ground the plug to an appropriate ground on the engine. I usually just slip the other end of the wire under a sheet tin screw that goes into the head or case. Next position your cellphone so it can see if there is spark and set it to record video. Should work, but does take some setup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

So today i have a few hours to work on the bus.

I started with fuel in the carburetor. and it works....

so its not an electrical problem (or at least, electricity goes to the sparks...).

So its probably at the very least, a fuel problem. I wasnt ready for this and i'm not quite sure where to start.

Would a vented-vs-unvented cap cause the problem? I doubt it (wasnt much pressure when i opened the cap to add more fuel this morning)

EDIT : look like i have a few hours to ponder... battery's dead....
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:

Would a vented-vs-unvented cap cause the problem? I doubt it (wasnt much pressure when i opened the cap to add more fuel this morning)

A non-vented cap on your split bus can cause all kinds of problems including messing up your fuel pump.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Enkiel wrote:

A non-vented cap on your split bus can cause all kinds of problems including messing up your fuel pump.

I tried without cap, still no luck...

I have dual carb and a T takes gas to both carb without anything else between fuel tank and carb. What is pumping the gas?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
oakman wrote:
Enkiel wrote:

I tried without cap, still no luck...

I have dual carb and a T takes gas to both carb without anything else between fuel tank and carb. What is pumping the gas?

are you not using the stock fuel pump? can't tell in your picture?
if you don't then you really need a fuel pump

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

that's what i'm realizing...

But the problem i have right now is that the "T" is behind the engine, so i'm wondering where to put the fuel pump, and how to plug it...

A side picture from powerhaus on their test facility

EDIT : You can count on Powerhaus to answer, even stupid question on a saturday night. He recommended this one :

http://store.concept1.ca/Fuel-Pump-Electric-Low-PSI-CAPCRTP60504/

Do i need something more? Or can i plug it somewhere that it'll turn on when ignition is on and that's it? I'm still trying to understand how electrics work on a car, so i'm not 100% sure where i should connect it to so its turned on when needed.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Wait... let me get this right. You forgot a fuel pump? Embarassed

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Yup.

on my defense, its the first time i have anything above 1600cc that "requires" an external fuel pump. Sooo, yeah. not a big defense.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
Yup.

on my defense, its the first time i have anything above 1600cc that "requires" an external fuel pump. Sooo, yeah. not a big defense.

lol well at least its an easy fix. you just need either a stock pump that's putting out the proper pressure (because you're still carb'd you're able to do this). Or an electronic fuel pump set to low psig, or a fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator (this one it is preferably to have a return fuel line)

Mount it anywhere you would like. People say under the bus is safest because it is away from the engine. There are plenty of places to make up a makeshift mount and put a pump under there.

Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Enkiel wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
Yup.

lol well at least its an easy fix. you just need either a stock pump that's putting out the proper pressure (because you're still carb'd you're able to do this). Or an electronic fuel pump set to low psig, or a fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator (this one it is preferably to have a return fuel line)

Mount it anywhere you would like. People say under the bus is safest because it is away from the engine. There are plenty of places to make up a makeshift mount and put a pump under there.

I talked to Powerhaus' and they recommended me this one :

It's ordered and should be at my door friday. Now i just need to figure out the wiring, and i can't find what i'm looking for.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

Nice little electric pump, I could have use that on another Euro project a few years ago. I didn't know they had a style like that whereby it just fits inline. Looking forward to updates Enkiel, you've come a long way.

Enkiel wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
Enkiel wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
Yup.

I talked to Powerhaus' and they recommended me this one :

It's ordered and should be at my door friday. Now i just need to figure out the wiring, and i can't find what i'm looking for.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

allright, so i been searching a bit, realizing that its not as easy as it looks to hook up a fuel pump, and i came across this post on the engine forum ;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700296&highlight=fuel+pump

The Relay looks easy enough to understand (except the 31b, which i'm not sure where its supposed to connect), but my question now, is where is best to place that relay?

My first though was next to the other relay in the kick panel, but is it a good idea? Under the bus is obviously not the best. Inside the engine compartment?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Casso the flipseat (August 1963) - not a restoration Reply with quote

My church key won't open my engine lid anymore... I think something broke inside...

How am I supposed to open it now, anyone know?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 20

Jump to: