Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

split bus , handbrake cables
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
frilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

hey guys . are there different types of handbrake cables for split buses? thanks in advance . neil
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wolfburg West:

211609701F EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE, 1964-1967 Bus, German, fits left and right, each, 3465mm/136.4 inches 211609701F
211609701E EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE, 1960 (1960 Bus, starting at chassis # 614456) -1963 Bus, made by Wolfsburg West, fits left and right, each, 3460mm/132.3 inches 211609701E
211609701C EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE, 1959 (1959 Bus, startingat chassis # 501707) -1960 (1960 Bus throughchassis # 614455) Bus, made by Wolfsburg West, fits left and right, each, 3330mm/131.1 inches 211609701C
211609701B EMERGENCY BRAKE CABLE, 1955 (1955 Bus, starting at chassis # 20-117903) -1959 (1959 Bus through chassis # 501706) Bus, made by Wolfsburg West, fits left and right, each, 3168mm/124.7 inches 211609701B
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolksFire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. thought i just answered that exact question with that exact WW info in chat earlier. de ja vu Shocked
63 Single Cab
67 SO42 Westfalia
73 Thing
76 Kombi
82 Westfalia Deluxe
82 Quantum Coupe
85 Quantum Sedan
85 Quantum Syncro Wagon
96 Golf GL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

Based on my chassis number, 631xxx, I ordered the 60-63 cables for my bus.
They bottom out as if the cables and the springs are too long.
I know the cables are 1.2 inches longer, and that my bus should take the earlier cables, despite what the chassis number is, but is there a difference in the backing plate or cable mounting hardware?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
Based on my chassis number, 631xxx, I ordered the 60-63 cables for my bus.
They bottom out as if the cables and the springs are too long.
I know the cables are 1.2 inches longer, and that my bus should take the earlier cables, despite what the chassis number is, but is there a difference in the backing plate or cable mounting hardware?

Which transaxle setup did you go with (don’t recall reading in your build thread): small or big nut rgbs? Does your e-brake adjustment happen above or below the front floor? I can’t recall the cutoff in ‘60.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

Small nut reduction boxes and adjustment above the floor.
It is like the springs are too long and won't let the cable pull tight enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

I just got the longer cables, figured out how much too long, cut them where they are suspended below the seat pedestal, and joined the sections with four sets of cable clamps, two per overlapping cable. I've never managed to have the right combination of front lever, rear e-brake parts, and cable to all match up.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Dann Tellez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

I've lowered my bus and I replaced the transaxle for a modern bug trans, which of the options of WW would be used in my case?, How can I determine the correct length of the cable to use?
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me the stock spring length on a 60-63 E-brake cable?

Thanks in advance.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

Dann Tellez wrote:
I've lowered my bus and I replaced the transaxle for a modern bug trans, which of the options of WW would be used in my case?, How can I determine the correct length of the cable to use?

Would help greatly to know the year of the bus.... Then would try that appropriate matching year cable and see if it will fit with the rear brakes you have.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

Dann Tellez wrote:

Also might try the link thru this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558906&highlight=emergency+brake
Dann Tellez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Dann Tellez wrote:

Would help greatly to know the year of the bus.... Then would try that appropriate matching year cable and see if it will fit with the rear brakes you have.

Thanks, I´m gonna use it on a ´65 bus... Is it possible to make an adjustment on the cable in case it gets too short or too long? I have no enough experience on brakes..... Confused
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: split bus , handbrake cables Reply with quote

Well j.pickens posted above about how he shortened his.

For another way to shorten:

From a "Search" for "Brake Cable":

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222339&highlight=brake+cable

More info to convert the cables:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128115&highlight=wire+rope

To lengthen one could see if the above mentioned shops can add in the length required.

Think the big problem you are going to face is if the rear ends of the parking brake cable bowden tubes will fit into beetle brake backing plates.

Additionally beetle brakes are a lot less powerful than bus stock brakes from late 1955 on. You might want to upgrade to rear disc setup instead.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: