Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia interiors - older and newer differences?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Westfalia interiors - older and newer differences? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm looking for a kitchen/cabinet set for an 86 and up Vanagon. I actually like the brown/tan but I'm not choosy. However, I think I read somewhere that '84 (and maybe '85) interiors were of inferior quality to the '86 and up. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I will relegate my search to '86 and up if the quality is better.

By the way, I'm not interested in the quality of the fridge since I would expect to need to replace it no matter what the year.

Thanks in advance.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've a few 80-81-82-86-91 westy here and as far as i can tell the quality is all the same
it may help us help you if you updated your location in your profile
i've a few sets here in upstate ny that get in the way time to time
anyways the stock fridge can..key can be quite nice and reliable
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the color changing, I don't know of too many differences over the years. They sure look to me to be the same materials to make them. Probably the most obvious change is that the tall narrow cabinet door on later models was shortened so it can be opened without moving the table out of the way first. There are also setups that use an in-tank water pump vs. a pump mounted under the sink, although I don't think you would ever notice a difference between the two while using them.
Having owned vans with both styles of cabinets, I really can't say one was better than the other.
As for the fridge (and I know this is about to open a debate), I've personally found that when they are well maintained, they work great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the inferior quality of the brown themed earlier Vanagons is only for the plastic parts like those on the dash.

My '86 cabinets & trim are fine & I also prefer the warmer colors (in a gray cloudy environment).
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early westys the curtain are hung differently. I do not know of the time that this happened. Also the pop top and table hardware was cad plated and later it was painted.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interiors - older and newer differences? Reply with quote

Westy1999 wrote:
...I think I read somewhere that '84 (and maybe '85) interiors were of inferior quality to the '86 and up...

By the way, I'm not interested in the quality of the fridge since I would expect to need to replace it no matter what the year...

You may be recalling the claims by a well-known vendor who maintain that the round-headlight models were inferior. There are plenty who dispute that but I don't think even GoWesty would suggest the kitchens are of lesser quality.

I wouldn't write off the fridge on any year -- the original in my 84 still chills fine.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interiors - older and newer differences? Reply with quote

My guess is that the "quality" of the interior mentioned was mostly with respect to the fabric and padding used on the seats/bed of full Westys. The 85+ has better fabric and padding, as does the 84 Wolfsburg Westy. The cabinets and hardware are the same quality across the years.

Mark

Ahwahnee wrote:
Westy1999 wrote:
...I think I read somewhere that '84 (and maybe '85) interiors were of inferior quality to the '86 and up...

By the way, I'm not interested in the quality of the fridge since I would expect to need to replace it no matter what the year...

You may be recalling the claims by a well-known vendor who maintain that the round-headlight models were inferior. There are plenty who dispute that but I don't think even GoWesty would suggest the kitchens are of lesser quality.

I wouldn't write off the fridge on any year -- the original in my 84 still chills fine.
Westy1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great info. Thesamba folks really make it easy (almost) navigating through this complex terrain. Thanks so much.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - let's all tell the mods to make this a sticky & add it to the FAQ

also, there are A and B series fridges and then some later version with better controls too
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia interiors - older and newer differences? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Westy1999 wrote:

The later (1986 up) vans certainly were better from the power point of view, more sophisticated injection and such. The round headlights do seem to be superior over the special vanagon only square ones. the water cooled are superior to air cooled from power and noise perspective,(except for diesel) also nicer heater in the water cooled.

all the vanagon's can be very nice, but there are differences.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: