Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

16" 08 CLK Rims on my Tintop?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: 16" 08 CLK Rims on my Tintop? Reply with quote

Hi -- found a nice, reasonable priced set of 08 CLK rims -- will these fit without too much modification? What will I need to mount these? Will these destroy any power that I have? She's light, Auto and 1.9 --

Many thanks -- they are 16" and look awesome!
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the offset
ET##
mercedes use 12mm studs, so they will need redrilling
if they are ET37 then yes they will fit, once you have had them redilled, i've fitted mercedes wheels on 8 of my customers vans, different styles, some 15" some 16"
i redrill to 17.5mm, then i run a 60° taper counter bore 7mm deeper than the stock ball seat, doing this i have the same amount of thread through the wheel as a stock carat wheels, some out there are happy with less thread,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

then i use this type of lug nuts, with a 1/2" lead

conversion studs on the front, so i have lug nuts all around, i buy my wheel hardware from T3 technique

you could drill the wheels with the tires on, i wouldn't

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomenclature alert. CLK is an entire class of vehicles produced by MB, and there are perhaps dozens of wheels featured on the cars falling under that classification. The "CLK" rims usually defined by that term around here are the forged Fuchs lightweight 16" rims with an ET37, like these:

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure about most of those questions and points!

Here is the listing -- it's from an 08 if that helps.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/5161133808.html

Listing is in Canadian Dollars. I'm not in Vancouver but will be there on Saturday and thought I could pick these up, if they will not require too much work, difficulty or issues. I of course don't want to get stuck with wheels that are useless or not financially feasible either.

Any advice about these and what it will take to mount them or questions to ask the author would be greatly appreaciated and helpful.

I also don't want my 1.9 to be too much of a dog on them either. She's a pretty light tintop and really, performs well enough for us, even in the hillt country we live in.

Thanks!
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

message the seller, the offset should be cast, or stamped into the back of the wheel
it will read, ET##, if it's ET37, then you will just need to get them redrilled.
if they are ET51, you will need spacers on the front.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe those rims were found on both C-Class and CLK-Class vehicles. They're cast aluminum, and probably ET37

[EDIT] I just read that they're staggered, so I suspect they might be from an SLK. If so, the fronts will be ET37 and the rears ET30. I have staggered SLK rims on my van, though mine are five spokes. T3 will be able to get you sorted out with spacers and lug bolts/nuts

y u rune klassik?
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the info and help -- I'll go have a look and hope that they look good on my van!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-read the ad, and it does state that they're from a CLK.

The SLK rims I have are probably the same dimension as those, so one thing to be aware of, is the clearance between the rear tire and slider door. On mine, it's a razor thin margin

y u rune klassik?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those rims and tires are actually smaller than stock tire diameter so you won't notice a loss of power.

Any stock Mercedes rim will have the size and offset marked on them. Best to closely examine all 4 and make sure you know what you are getting.

Tires in those sizes tend to be pretty weak compared to what Vanagons should run.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: