Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW cheating on diesel emissions.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

The topic has been going quite a while. Leaving me wondering "Who else?"...

This has some similarities...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp...6374ba8fbb

On with a different company, to the "Off Topic" forum?
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

I got my date to turn our TDI sportwagon in...now just have to decide what to replace it with.
Seems odd that the dealerships haven't offered any deals on new cars to those turning in there affected vehicles .
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

VW Storing VW TDI's in Pontiac, MI

Link

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

We turned ours in today..took 15mins
Guy said its heading to a storage spot in Normal,IL
Owned it for a week short of 3 yrs, put on 56k miles ,never in the shop for anything
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:
I got my date to turn our TDI sportwagon in...now just have to decide what to replace it with.
Seems odd that the dealerships haven't offered any deals on new cars to those turning in there affected vehicles .

That's odd, that the dealerships in your area didn't want their money back.
The dealerships in my area including Hyundai,Toyota,Nissan,etc. were sending letters in the mail, with big discounts for former TDI owners.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

There is a way for VW to move forward from this mess, and gain customers back. Build a rear engine with AWD opt., New Beetle! The powertain is already available from subaru. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

02/76 Beetle sedan

Last edited by APPLEGREENVW on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:
Owned it for a week short of 3 yrs, put on 56k miles ,never in the shop for anything

You should have held on to it, until they provided the stuff in your sig that you are wanting =)

oh well...
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

The upper levels of management that signed off on this will never be punished. You know what and who will be sacrificed, it's always the same.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Jalopnik article headline from Feb. 1: "Volkswagen 'Hoarders' Say They're Making Huge Profits Off The Diesel Buyback"
http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-hoarders-say-theyre-making-huge-profits-off-1791341120
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

I wonder how many GM diesel owners are going to start whining about being lied to like VW encountered.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp...its-trucks
I doubt that the federal government is going to punish Government Motors the same as they did with VW even though the nitric oxide & NOx levels were much greater on the trucks with far more vehicles affected.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

d-rick wrote:

Mitusbishi shuttered their plant in Normal last year. A startup electric car company bought the plant. The storage lot is filled with acres and acres of VW. I will try to head out there and snap a picture.
Casey
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Here is an article with a picture from local paper about the VW storage lot in Normal, Illinois.
http://www.pantagraph.com/blogs/flick/flick-vws-a-...ign=LEEDCC

Casey
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I wonder how many GM diesel owners are going to start whining about being lied to like VW encountered.
I doubt that the federal government is going to punish Government Motors the same as they did with VW even though the nitric oxide & NOx levels were much greater on the trucks with far more vehicles affected.

I notice GM has a few 4cyl, diesel Duramax engines coming out this year, in the small pick up & small SUV's models. What did GM do to pass diesel emissions that VW can't do Question

Looks like it's OK to cheat,if you're part of the big 3.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

APPLEGREENVW wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

I notice GM has a few 4cyl, diesel Duramax engines coming out this year, in the small pick up & small SUV's models. What did GM do to pass diesel emissions that VW can't do Question

Stop it. GM spent the money on a urea injection system, which VW did not.
Everybody "studies for the test", tweaking the programming to make sure they can pass the EPA test. What VW did is on a massively different level, figuring out when it was being tested, and running an entirely separate engine program. Many vehicles end up producing more emissions under real world conditions than in the test, but at least they are running the same program in both cases.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Stop it. GM spent the money on a urea injection system, which VW did not.
Everybody "studies for the test", tweaking the programming to make sure they can pass the EPA test. What VW did is on a massively different level, figuring out when it was being tested, and running an entirely separate engine program. Many vehicles end up producing more emissions under real world conditions than in the test, but at least they are running the same program in both cases.

I've seen nothing that would indicate GM cheated, not that GM doesn't have it's own problems.
I watched Netfix Dirty Money about the VW Scandal.
Very interesting, and some what scary the level of corruption, and the presentation had a very good grasp of VW/German culture.
They laid out why it happened, Growth Goals in the US, and world for VW.
Who did it, VW Management in Germany.
They also laid out a pretty good trail that other manufactures in Europe were cheating in Europe, and that's why European Countries fail to meet their own Air Quality standards.

Link

The sad reality is that if the EPA & CARB had not had simply stated for 2016 we will not certify any VW-Audi Product for sale in the US until this issue is resolved.
VW would have never admitted anything.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Looks like the Daimler group might be guilty too...
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-daimler-emissio...SKCN1G20B2

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Off they go...

Spotted this load of TDIs heading east from the Colorado storage lot (Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway) to parts unknown this past Thursday.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

I just found this thread and started reading at the beginning but it's all the same BS I have heard over and over since the beginning of this fiscal.

My questions to all you VW diesel haters is:

-Is this the first time in history that a car company has lied or cheated?

Give me a break!!

-Did you or any of your family or friends DIE as a result of VWs actions?

Look back in history and review all the times other companies' cars actually KILLED people and weigh the resulting fines/buy backs/compensation involved against what you and the US government are expecting of VW. Way off balance in comparison... No? Failing seat belts, exploding gas tanks, gas tanks falling off on the road, engine mounts braking causing the throttle to go wide open, air bags going off randomly, frames buckling under load... etc, etc.

-How is destroying tens of thousands of very fuel efficient cars and replacing them with fuel guzzling trucks and SUVs reducing overall emissions? You shouldn't even have to think about that one! Rolling Eyes

-For those that took the buy back - you just lost big time suckers! You will never get another car that is as cost effective as the one you just turned back in and now you are digging into your finances to buy something you would not have needed to buy for a good many years ahead. Embarassed

We have owned 4 VW deisels now and they are without a doubt the very best cars we have ever owned bar none.

-For all you guys looking for a bargian used VW deisel, Ha! I am too and the prices are getting higher every day. What does that tell you? It tells me that there are a lot of people out there that have not been "snowed" by this media/government saving the enviroment load of tripe!

By the way - Ford, GM and Chrysler have been selling small fuel efficient (yes they emmit the same stuff VWs do!) diesels to the rest of the world by the tens of thousands for decades now and have no intention to stop!

Can you say HIPOCRITES?
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Can you say HIPOCRITES?

Not only can I say it, I understand its meaning and can spell it properly.

The Big Three sell lots of diesels in the US, just not in cars. Making a different decision about product plans based on local market parameters is far from hypocrisy. They sell diesel cars in Europe because of different economic factors; fuel costs more, the governments incentivized diesel with lower taxes, and the emission rules were weaker and easier to meet than in the U.S.

Diesels get better mileage, but cost more to make. When fuel costs $6 per gallon, you can justify that increased up-front cost much easier than when it costs $3 per gallon.

The domestic automakers made their decision based on the costs and fuel efficiency penalty of meeting the emission rules as written. VW made their decision on the lower costs and greater efficiency they got from cheating.

The most aggravating thing about the whole scandal is those smug VW executive hypocrites publicly declaring they had solved the problem nobody else could, because they were smarter than everyone else.

One can argue with statistical analyses, but some pretty smart people calculated that the deaths caused by the excess VW diesel emissions is an order of magnitude greater than the fuel tank and airbag failures combined.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/v...09061.html

Of the premature deaths, 500 will likely occur in Germany..... if Volkswagen can recall and retrofit affected vehicles to meet European standards by the end of this year, that would avert a further 2,600 premature deaths, or 29,000 life years lost, and €4.1bn (£3.5bn) in health costs.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW cheating on diesel emissions..... Reply with quote

Lawyers, politicians, big corporations, used car salesmen, real estate agents etc. lie to us on a pretty regular basis. I am sorry to hear that the VW lie was the one that opened your eyes to that fact but you would have learned eventually that not everything is exactly as we are told.

As for your death rate study and it's experts - someone made a name for themselves creating that one! Rolling Eyes Oldest trick in the book, take the hot button issue of the day, cobble together some "facts" and bingo - instant notoriety! Ralph Nader rode that one to the top.

What makes those "experts" more believable than the "experts" at VW that told us VW diesels were clean?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: