Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

California State Smog Policy - Good News?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanmacleod2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: California State Smog Policy - Good News? Reply with quote

Just had my Exploder smogged (Los Angeles county)and noticed that it was not put on the machine where the wheels spin but simply hooked--up via a connection under the dashboard. Asked the guy doing the test about it and he said that they are phasing-out that machine for the new plug-in computer. I asked how they will test older vehicles and he said the state of Calif is considering EXEMPTING all pre-1997 vehicles (read: all Vanagons) from smog testing within 3 to 5 years.

Down side: 1) this is in the 'considering' phase and 2) testing may become more stringent in order to get the most older vehicles possible off the road between now and then. However if true, hello Bostig, Subie 2.5, etc.

Anyone heard about this, any thoughts/comments.

Alan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got rid of the dyno tests in NY several years ago. That being said, remembering the LA smog of the 70s, you do not want to go back....
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We never got the dyno smog test, tailpipe sniffer only.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be surprised if they started to exempt pre OBDI cars. The percent of them still on the road is small. The post '97 cars can hardly be gross polluters without setting off a code on the OBD, Also, unlike the pre'74 cars that are exempt now, the '75 to '96 cars are much more fuel efficient and are predominately fuel injected with some kind of engine management. Sniffing the pipe is basically a waist of time on modern cars. I'm glad they are thinking about it, there would be a lot more cleaner running and more powerful vans on the road here in CA.

Hold it!! a government agency making a sensible decision? This whole thread is probably a hoax!

Hans
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
We never got the dyno smog test, tailpipe sniffer only.

We got rid of the sniffer too! Smile

I registered everything upstate anyway due to shop convenience.

Learning the " two monitors not ready rule" from the EPA two years ago has helped me keep my Volvos in the road cheap.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting Confused
In the last 2yrs, most of the shops in my area (N.Cali) charge $20 more for pre OBD II cars
They do a thorough visual inspection, dyno, sniff, and fuel tank pressure test.
consequently more older cars are failing, more jeeeps are becoming "offroad only" Rolling Eyes
Seems to me they have become more restrictive,
My local guy says the state has become really aggressive about fineing stations that don't check all the boxes
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could certainly lower the pollution from older cars if they would modify the visual rules to allow for the installation of FI systems onto earlier rigs without having to jump through too many hoops.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new bill AB 550(dont't know if it pass yet) in California where if you:
(1) Is 30 or more model-years old.
(2) Was manufactured during or after the 1976 model-year.
(3) Fails a smog test required pursuant to this chapter.
(4) Fails a subsequent smog test after necessary repairs were made.
(b) Payment of the smog abatement fee($200) established pursuant to this section shall be made to the Department of Motor Vehicles at the time of the registration of the motor vehicle.
(c) Fees collected pursuant to this section shall be deposited in the Air Quality Improvement Fund created by Section 44274.5.

Don't know if it work if you swap in Bostig or 2.5, the CARB rule might still apply which is dumb.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: California State Smog Policy - Good News? Reply with quote

alanmacleod2 wrote:
Just had my Exploder smogged (Los Angeles county)and noticed that it was not put on the machine where the wheels spin but simply hooked--up via a connection under the dashboard. Asked the guy doing the test about it and he said that they are phasing-out that machine for the new plug-in computer. I asked how they will test older vehicles and he said the state of Calif is considering EXEMPTING all pre-1997 vehicles (read: all Vanagons) from smog testing within 3 to 5 years.

Down side: 1) this is in the 'considering' phase and 2) testing may become more stringent in order to get the most older vehicles possible off the road between now and then. However if true, hello Bostig, Subie 2.5, etc.

Anyone heard about this, any thoughts/comments.

Alan

Be weary of those bearing gifts.
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yiucycle wrote:

Don't know if it work if you swap in Bostig or 2.5, the CARB rule might still apply which is dumb.

Yeah... but if there is no smog check, C.A.R.B, doesn't even come into the picture.
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
We got rid of the dyno tests in NY several years ago. That being said, remembering the LA smog of the 70s, you do not want to go back....

I remember and it was bad. It is hard to overstate how much the air quality has improved in LA since the old days.

It's funny, today one of the car guys at work was saying that California was going to start inspecting cars back to 1968 to get rid of illegal engine swaps. I don't know where he got that info though.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know where he got that info though.

from a joint?

Wink
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's funny, today one of the car guys at work was saying that California was going to start inspecting cars back to 1968 to get rid of illegal engine swaps.

I don't know about that statement, however, California has been giving some of the classic car guys heartburn recently when trying to import non-US model cars built between 1968 and 1974. Some of the auction houses have been labeling 68-74 cars sold in California (that were not already registered here) with the following disclaimer:
“Please note that due to California emissions, this car can only be offered to a dealer or out-of-state resident.”

1968 through 1974 non-US "grey market" cars used to flow here pretty easily before. Now California has apparently been revisiting these rules:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/knowzone/faq/faq.htm

http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs/vehicle_faqs/greymarket_cars_faq.htm
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:
yiucycle wrote:

Yeah... but if there is no smog check, C.A.R.B, doesn't even come into the picture.

The AB 550 still require you to go to smog check.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about this last night with a buddy who seems to know a thing or two about all this crap..

He said, don't hold you breath on AB 550... He also told me to tell you guys and gals to fight and fight like hell if another bill like SB350 hits the floor...

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB350

This could really put the first, second... and final nail in the coffin for the classic car market in California.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:
I was talking about this last night with a buddy who seems to know a thing or two about all this crap..

He said, don't hold you breath on AB 550... He also told me to tell you guys and gals to fight and fight like hell if another bill like SB350 hits the floor...

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB350

This could really put the first, second... and final nail in the coffin for the classic car market in California.

What did I miss? I read through that Bill and I did not see the connection between CPUC regulated power generators and End Users with classic car market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yiucycle wrote:
There is a new bill AB 550(dont't know if it pass yet) in California where if you:
(1) Is 30 or more model-years old.
(2) Was manufactured during or after the 1976 model-year.
(3) Fails a smog test required pursuant to this chapter.
(4) Fails a subsequent smog test after necessary repairs were made.
(b) Payment of the smog abatement fee($200) established pursuant to this section shall be made to the Department of Motor Vehicles at the time of the registration of the motor vehicle.
(c) Fees collected pursuant to this section shall be deposited in the Air Quality Improvement Fund created by Section 44274.5.

that is bad shit, the only way out is to pay a smog penalty fee. once they do this, they will say how come the older pre 1976 cars are not paying that fee. ok they will fix that and charge al the old cars a smog fee. good ole moombeam Jerry Brown has stated a goal of cutting our gasoline fuel use in half in a few years, he will be pushing electric cars and doing everything he can to make gasoline cars too expensive to own. of course that is the problem with electric cars, they need to be pushed.

anyway this is a very bad proposed law. Contact your state representatives and tell them to vote no on this abortion of a law.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nacradriver wrote:

whow that is a big assed bill, I pulled this out of it.

SEC. 32. Section 740.12 is added to the Public Utilities Code, to read:

740.12. (a) (1) The Legislature finds and declares all of the following:

(A) Advanced clean vehicles and fuels are needed to reduce petroleum use, to meet air quality standards, to improve public health, and to achieve greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals.

(B) Widespread transportation electrification is needed to achieve the goals of the Charge Ahead California Initiative (Chapter 8.5 (commencing with Section 44258) of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code).

(C) Widespread transportation electrification requires increased access for disadvantaged communities, low- and moderate-income communities, and other consumers of zero-emission and near-zero-emission vehicles, and increased use of those vehicles in those communities and by other consumers to enhance air quality, lower greenhouse gases emissions, and promote overall benefits to those communities and other consumers.

(D) Reducing emissions of greenhouse gases to 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030 and to 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050 will require widespread transportation electrification.

(E) Widespread transportation electrification requires electrical corporations to increase access to the use of electricity as a transportation fuel.

(F) Widespread transportation electrification should stimulate innovation and competition, enable consumer options in charging equipment and services, attract private capital investments, and create high-quality jobs for Californians, where technologically feasible.

(G) Deploying electric vehicles should assist in grid management, integrating generation from eligible renewable energy resources, and reducing fuel costs for vehicle drivers who charge in a manner consistent with electrical grid conditions.

(H) Deploying electric vehicle charging infrastructure should facilitate increased sales of electric vehicles by making charging easily accessible and should provide the opportunity to access electricity as a fuel that is cleaner and less costly than gasoline or other fossil fuels in public and private locations.

(I) According to the State Alternative Fuels Plan analysis by the Energy Commission and the State Air Resources Board, light-, medium-, and heavy-duty vehicle electrification results in approximately 70 percent fewer greenhouse gases emitted, over 85 percent fewer ozone-forming air pollutants emitted, and 100 percent fewer petroleum used. These reductions will become larger as renewable generation increases.

(2) It is the policy of the state and the intent of the Legislature to encourage transportation electrification as a means to achieve ambient air quality standards and the state’s climate goals. Agencies designing and implementing regulations, guidelines, plans, and funding programs to reduce greenhouse gas emissions shall take the findings described in paragraph (1) into account.

(b) The commission, in consultation with the State Air Resources Board and the Energy Commission, shall direct electrical corporations to file applications for programs and investments to accelerate widespread transportation electrification to reduce dependence on petroleum, meet air quality standards, achieve the goals set forth in the Charge Ahead California Initiative (Chapter 8.5 (commencing with Section 44258) of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code), and reduce emissions of greenhouse gases to 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030 and to 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050. Programs proposed by electrical corporations shall seek to minimize overall costs and maximize overall benefits. The commission shall approve, or modify and approve, programs and investments in transportation electrification, including those that deploy charging infrastructure, via a reasonable cost recovery mechanism, if they are consistent with this section, do not unfairly compete with nonutility enterprises as required under Section 740.3, include performance accountability measures, and are in the interests of ratepayers as defined in Section 740.8.

(c) The commission shall review data concerning current and future electric transportation adoption and charging infrastructure utilization prior to authorizing an electrical corporation to collect new program costs related to transportation electrification in customer rates. If market barriers unrelated to the investment made by an electric corporation prevent electric transportation from adequately utilizing available charging infrastructure, the commission shall not permit additional investments in transportation electrification without a reasonable showing that the investments would not result in long-term stranded costs recoverable from ratepayers.

So the state will mandate electric cars, with special help for "disadvantaged communities" I guess not only will I be helping to pay for a millionaire's $100,000 Tesla, I will also get to help buy a poor single mother crack whore her own electric tricycle!!! got to love socialism.

also we have to cut fuel burn by almost half in 15 years, despite a projected growing state population during that time, great. I know how they will do it, they have already stated how, they will tax fuel so you cant afford to burn it.

bastards!!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

Electric vehicles charged up by next generation nuclear power plants is the future. Amazing stuff, science.
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
I guess not only will I be helping to pay for a millionaire's $100,000 Tesla, I will also get to help buy a poor single mother crack whore her own electric tricycle!!! got to love socialism.[/b]

Is it a surprise that I knew who wrote this before checking back up to the top to see who posted it? Well, no.

Chuey
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: