Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late 70s alternator air boot question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I placed a request for availability/shipping cost/delivery time through Classic VW DE. That's all I could do as there appeared no way to actually register and then order the parts, just punch in the part numbers, put them into a shopping cart and send on the request. I'll let you know what happens.

FYI, I got a call back from another VW dealer who told me the same thing as the other 2: they didn't have an account with Classic VW. These were the three largest VW dealers here in the Minneapolis Metro area.

Also, for what it's worth, Classic VW DE showed that they had the NLA Oil Cooler to Tin Gasket p/n 021119329, so I'll report back on that too.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL of the Classic parts I've gotten work fine. They are funny how they get back to you though. Sometimes really well and others never. When you get the quote, if you want it call really early in the morning while it is early afternoon in Germany. Give them a Visa / MC number over the phone and the shipment arrives about 3 days to a week later.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the background info SGK. I'll hope this won't fall in the "others never" category, and your tip about calling real early (I'll look up the time difference) to order will get the parts here quick.

I am still just floored that these kind of rubber parts that were used on every Type 4 engine for a fairly popular range of model years are so difficult to come by. This should be the easy stuff.

Couldn't do it without ya. Very Happy
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard back from Classic VW DE yet, but I have heard from the UK retailers that showed as having the 021 903 655 D.

VW Spares
"it’s a reproduction and the part number is 022 903 655 D for round outlet. The D shaped outlet is 022 903 655B for Type 4 1700-2000 CA engine up to 1972 and AP up to 1974 and CE." [NOTE: the reply incorrectly uses "022" in the part number prefix]

VW Heritage
"We have both the 021-903-655D and the 021-903-655 in stock. The -655D has a round end at both ends and the -655 has a D shaped end at the metal clamped end. These are both reproduction items from suppliers overseas, sadly we are unable to obtain the Genuine version any longer."

Huh? Shocked
I'm sitting here with my 021 903 655 D. It has a "D"-shaped outlet. Here's a photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is the thing to the right of the part number not a "D"?

Can anyone here that has replaced this part on their late bay bus please add to the conversation?

Last edited by eche_bus on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:
I have just received email from Classic VW DE:

For legal reasons, we are not able to make any proactive business with customers from the USA at time. Currently, we are trying to find a solution with Volkswagen Group of America regarding making our assortment available again for US customers through the importer or VW dealers. A termination is expected by summer.
Please excuse the inconveniences.

You can purchase our parts via:

Auburn Volkswagen
866-406-3172
http://www.auburnvw.com/ContactUsForm

GoWesty
888-469-3789
http://www.gowesty.com/contact_us.php

Benjamin Williams
267-773-7454
https://mk1autohaus.3dcartstores.com/crm.asp?action=contactus

Mid America Motorworks
217-540-4200
http://www.mamotorworks.com/vw/Corporate/ContactUs.aspx

Shocked Unbelievable. Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from 2004

ratwell wrote:
Did someone say ratwell and part number in the same sentence!

There are 3 boots actually:

- 72-74 is 021 903 655B
- 75-79 is 021 903 655D.
- If you have a 70A alternator you need 022 903 655.

I think they have been NLA for sometime. I may have a dealer source for one 655D but it's going to be expensive.

eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad It gets worse. Crying or Very sad

I started calling the contacts suggested by Classic VW DE.

I am told by a person at Mid America Motorworks who didn't seem to know much that the only way to buy a part from Classic VW is to place an order through them and wait for the next shipping carton to arrive, which would be months from now.

Skeptical, I call Auburn Volkswagen. This time I speak at length with a very well-informed person who not only tells me the same thing, but that the reason is something to do with USA regulations that happened in January that prevents VW Germany from shipping to the USA on a part-by-part basis. He explained that it wasn't totally impossible, but that shipping would cost hundreds of dollars to get a single part and the only way around the expense was for retailers to buy quantities to fill up shipping cartons and amortize the expense. Auburn collects orders from individuals and then have them shipped en masse from Germany, but it wouldn't be until December before getting the next round of parts.

So I asked why a person couldn't just order parts through another European country and bypass the whole thing. He said I could and recommended VW Heritage ( Confused remember them?), but that from his experience it would get real expensive.

Of course, I'll contact VW Heritage but it's going to be interesting given their last email.

Anyone else think this is ridiculous? Mad
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally ridiculous.

Thank you, US regulations, for protecting us from... something??

Rolling Eyes

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course, I'll contact VW Heritage but it's going to be interesting given their last email.

I have already contacted my sources at VWHeritage and am waiting for an answer.

vwwestyman wrote:
Totally ridiculous.

Thank you, US regulations, for protecting us from... something??

Rolling Eyes

It may not be US regs. It may be VW, German or shipping so lighten up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by SGKent on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was explained that it had something to do with importing parts that may not meet current DOT standards (like headlights) or bumpers that wouldn't meet some kind of crash standards. Sounds like in order for the USA to inspect the imports, the stuff needs to go through regular shipping carton pathways, as opposed to something like FedEx or their kin. It was USA regulation, not German from what I was told.

SGK - as you've already contacted VWHeritage, I'll hold off to hear back from you. Thanks for doing this!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
It was explained that it had something to do with importing parts that may not meet current DOT standards (like headlights) or bumpers that wouldn't meet some kind of crash standards. Sounds like in order for the USA to inspect the imports, the stuff needs to go through regular shipping carton pathways, as opposed to something like FedEx or their kin. It was USA regulation, not German from what I was told.

Read this from Feb 2015. If you read between the lines, it appears to be a combination of American stupidity, our lack of common sense, and VW not wanting any direct part of it due to liability VS gain.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618930&start=0
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get you by until you can source the correct part. IIRC one member installed the 70A elbow on the 55A cover. He said he cranked it down and it sealed fine.
Tcash
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email sent.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About $65 for one or $100 for two with postage from the UK

Quote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your email.

It would appear they are different. At the one end, the external diameter appears to be very similar but the internal diameter is larger on the ‘d’ part than it is on the ‘b’ part. At the other end its more obvious as one is oval and one is round.

Hope this solves the problem.

Thanks and Regards
Chris Rees
Sales - VW Heritage

eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But ... the email I copied from VW Heritage said exactly what you're showing in the photo.

They sell a D-suffix part but it has a ROUND outlet end which is not correct for use with a 50A alternator. It is a reproduction part that carries the wrong part number.

The question was whether VW Heritage could order the (assumed) correct D-suffix part with the D-shaped outlet through VW Classic Parts.

Or, is it know as a fact that the photo showing the (wrong) D-suffix part that is provided by VW Classic Parts?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
But ... the email I copied from VW Heritage said exactly what you're showing in the photo.

They sell a D-suffix part but it has a ROUND outlet end which is not correct for use with a 50A alternator. It is a reproduction part that carries the wrong part number.

The question was whether VW Heritage could order the (assumed) correct D-suffix part with the D-shaped outlet through VW Classic Parts.

Or, is it know as a fact that the photo showing the (wrong) D-suffix part that is provided by VW Classic Parts?

maybe I am stupid but the end you are having trouble with is the D end which is too small on the B part. The round end will conform to what ever shape you put it on. Squeeze the clamp and it will be oval just like the other. I ordered one because right now it is the best thing going. When it comes in if my engine is still out from the trans rebuild I'll try it to see how it fits.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll outline the facts:

1. All 3 boot types have a round inlet end that fits into a round hole in the fan shroud. When the c-clip/wire is in place, yes, it does distort the inlet to give it a slight D-shape.
2. The 021-B boots have a smaller inlet end than the -D boots.
3. The 021-B and 021-D boots have a prominent molded, D-shaped outlet end to fit the 50A alternator. I posted a photo of mine earlier.
4. The 022 boot has a round outlet end to fit the 70A alternator.

Outside of these facts is VW Heritage's part they are calling "021-xxx-xxx D" which is visibly NOT the part it claims to be (again, see my photo of an original part).

I don't contest that the 022 part with the round outlet may fit the 50A alternator. However, the original 021-D part does NOT have a round outlet and it does NOT have a D-shaped inlet.

I'll contact VW Heritage and report back with findings.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post photos when mine comes in. In the meantime if you are building a perfect 1000 point show bus and someone offers a genuine VW one for less than $100 I'd jump at it cause there can't be many left in the world.

I believe that the round side with a clamp on the late (/D) one VW Heritage sells will easily conform to the alternator tin shape below. In fact it will probably set into a D shape once it is on for a short while. The other side should fit the late shroud.

The /B one will never be large enough on the shroud side to fully fill the late opening.

eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't about building a perfect show bus, and I agreed that using the round outlet boot might work fine. Yes, the /B part isn't a solution, as that's where this whole crazy thread started. Yesterday I'd located the -D suffix part through VW Classic Parts, so the goal was to see if it could be had via a European retailer, such as VW Heritage. I didn't equate VW Heritage's repro offerings to the part supposedly available through VW Classic Parts.

I've contacted VW Heritage to ask if their source for the -D suffix part is VW Classic Parts (just in case), and if not, is it possible to buy the VW Classic Parts part through VW Heritage.

If there's a suitable path to the right part, I'll take it. If not, I'll improvise.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
This isn't about building a perfect show bus, and I agreed that using the round outlet boot might work fine. Yes, the /B part isn't a solution, as that's where this whole crazy thread started. Yesterday I'd located the -D suffix part through VW Classic Parts, so the goal was to see if it could be had via a European retailer, such as VW Heritage. I didn't equate VW Heritage's repro offerings to the part supposedly available through VW Classic Parts.

I've contacted VW Heritage to ask if their source for the -D suffix part is VW Classic Parts (just in case), and if not, is it possible to buy the VW Classic Parts part through VW Heritage.

If there's a suitable path to the right part, I'll take it. If not, I'll improvise.

The only way one can find out what VW is shipping compared to the one VW Heritage sells is to see if VW Heritage will order one and compare it to what they have. Their website shows an American flag next to the part so it is likely made here. Appears to be made by VenturaWarehouseGroup (Airhead) so maybe call them and discuss it. Maybe they will want to look at this thread. I'll know more in about a week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: