Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late 70s alternator air boot question
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Steve would you mind telling us one more time exactly what you ordered and from whom?

Thanks

I ordered the 55 amp boot part number in question D through Paruzzi because Classic Parts DE (VWOG classic parts) is not shipping directly to the USA for some reason right now. The part is about $35 USD and the shipping the same. It is now my spare alternator boot if these are not reproduced. The ones that came from VWHeritage were actually a /B reproduction made by Airhead and mislableded as a /D . VW Heritage refunded the price minus shipping.

The one that came in today from Paruzzi is the real NOS VWOG 021 903 655 /D part.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wink
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My D suffix air boot finally arrived today along with a new oil cooler plenum seal. The new boot fit like an original VW part should, nice and tight. Progress resumes.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Paruzzi seems to be out of these now. I took a gamble and ordered an Audi one with the same part number 021-903-655-D. Will report back.

http://www.audipartssuperstore.com/Genuine-Audi-Part-Number-021-903-655-D-p/021-903-655-d.htm

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Fail.

"Thank you for the recent order for the hose part# 021-903-655-D.We have been notified by Audi that they have discontinued this item.We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.We will cancel your order.Thank You"

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
sherpa7200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

I’m now looking for a 021 903 655 D. Sorry to see that Paruzzi no longer has them. Has anyone found another source?
sherpa7200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

I’m now looking for a 021 903 655 D. Sorry to see that Paruzzi no longer has them. Has anyone found another source?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

sherpa7200 wrote:

I held one today in a Pacific parts bag this afternoon, ordered in the last few months. I have no idea where from- but I know they're being sold currently. The hose clamp included is lousy, so save your old clamp, which should look like the one in the link below. The internal snap ring is included, which is nice because half the engines I see don't have them anymore; the old petrified rubber holds itself in.

A quick search at BusDepot got me these:

http://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=02...sort_order

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sherpa7200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Thanks Robbie. I actually ordered the one from Bus Depot and discovered yesterday that there are "B" types and "D" types. The one sold by Bus Depot must be the "B" type, as it is too small for my fan shroud.

I'll definitely be saving the clamp, and may have to resort to patching the old boot up if I can't find one.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

the D type are quite hard to find. They are the ones you need for most bays. As I recall, the B type fits a 1700 shroud or 411 etc. The only place I found them (/D) was Classic VW DE and then had to buy them thru Paruzzi but the comments above in this thread say they are gone now. I looked at my receipt and only bought the one so don't have any spares. Sad someone doesn't repop these, there are tons of the B one that few need. The problem I came across when trying to find one is that many places list the /D but when one orders a /B shows up and it doesn't fit well on later bay engines and 55 amp. Auto Atlanta shows the /D but until you get it you won't know if it is really a /D. Wagenteile also shows a /D but same holds, you have to order one to see what you get.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the D type are quite hard to find. They are the ones you need for most bays. As I recall, the B type fits a 1700 shroud or 411 etc. The only place I found them (/D) was Classic VW DE and then had to buy them thru Paruzzi but the comments above in this thread say they are gone now. I looked at my receipt and only bought the one so don't have any spares. Sad someone doesn't repop these, there are tons of the B one that few need. The problem I came across when trying to find one is that many places list the /D but when one orders a /B shows up and it doesn't fit well on later bay engines and 55 amp. Auto Atlanta shows the /D but until you get it you won't know if it is really a /D. Wagenteile also shows a /D but same holds, you have to order one to see what you get.

My 412 shroud takes the larger boot while many (maybe most) bus shrouds take the smaller diameter boot. Not sure exactly what works with the larger alternator. Have no clue why VW used two different setup to do the same job.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

I thought I needed the D version as well and then I read that the B version was it's replacement. I ordered it from busdepot. It seemed to fit my fan shroud fine with the snap ring holding it in place.

That being said, my fan shroud is not original to my bus and may no longer be the "correct" one (it is marked with an ED part number).

I do remember it being a pita to put on though, even with my engine out.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Upon further inspection the part I had originally order does NOT fit. The outside diameter is too small for the fan shroud.

Anyone have any good links for the D part?

I wonder if Gee Bee can reproduce this. The B part I had is actually already deteriorating even though I haven’t even used the engine yet and it’s been in doors this whole time.

Alternatively, what is required to upgrade to a 70amp alternator?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

This thread got me thinking and remembering that I had an alternator cooling boot stashed away somewhere in my spares hoard from years ago, so I went looking for it this evening.

Now keep in mind I haven't owned a Bus since like 2002 or 2003 so I've had this thing since then. I don't remember why I bought it but I ordered it from Bus Depot and it was/is brand new and has been sitting in its bag in the package Ron shipped it in.

I dug it out, and not only is it a genuine VW part, the number is 021 903 655 D. I guess it was still available new 18 years ago.

So I have this thing, it is brand new and has never been installed. In the interest of karma I am offering it up FREE (including shipping) to a person (in the continental U.S.) who is gonna install it and run it in their bus, not turn around and re-sell it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Postage date:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or, if someone has the wherewithal and ability to re-pop these, this would be a good one to use as a template.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

sold! dibbs! whatever!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Wildthings was first comer so in the interest of fairness it's gonna go to him.

Glad to see it will get some use rather than sitting in my basement for 18 more years. Laughing
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

good deal. thanks for the response
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Doh!!

Nice offer though!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

I looked in my parts list and didn't see them but I know I bought 2 or 3 of them, although all but one for my bus may have been sold. I'll look. Why no one reproduces these I don't know.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Late 70s alternator air boot question Reply with quote

Available here:
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/alternator-cooling-boot-

021903655D

$20 ea
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: