Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Automatic Westfalia, 2 issues...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanwade95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: 1990 Automatic Westfalia, 2 issues... Reply with quote

the main issue that i've noticed is that when the van hasn't been started for awhile, like over 12 hours, when I turn the key, all the lights and the fuel pump buzzes as it should, but it sometimes takes 5 or 6 seconds, even longer sometimes.. to spark and turn over, and starts fine, it's just that there is a pretty solid delay. Not sure if it has to do with my starter, it's certainly not my battery I would guess because everything functions great other than the delay.

and the second thing is, when I start my van on cold, when it is in PARK it will make this really loud vibrating noise, but when I take it out of PARK it stops... it's very weird and can't be normal.

any suggestions or ideas welcome
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Automatic Westfalia, 2 issues... Reply with quote

ryanwade95 wrote:
...it's certainly not my battery I would guess because everything functions great other than the delay...

The current required to operate the fuel pump, buzzers, etc is miniscule compared to what the starter demands.

Could be other issues (ignition switch, bad grounds, dying starter, etc) but you also shouldn't rule out the battery just yet.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Automatic Westfalia, 2 issues... Reply with quote

Also check your neutral safety switch. If it's not aligned just right it can cause starting issues. First, try starting the van in neutral and see if it behaves the same way.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Automatic Westfalia, 2 issues... Reply with quote

go to an electrical shop (not a parts house) and get the battery tested

he will have a big thing on a wheeled cart called a load tester -- the little hand held units are not as good a tester
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Automatic Westfalia, 2 issues... Reply with quote

It is easy enough to unplug the ignition switch harness and since you can replicate the problem overnight, try using a piece of wire to jump the ignition harness. If the delay is gone, you should suspect the ignition switch. Delay still there, time to move on. You access the ignition switch harness by dropping the lower steering column cover.

From memory, the starter wires on the ignition switch are the two heavy gauge/ thick wires. One is Red, the other is Red with a black tracer. Don't expect the van to run. It will only crank. It should crank each time you make the jump. Don't use a paper clip. You'll probably burn your fingers. Use a similar size piece of wire. One with spade connectors would make a handy tool. Report back.

Before pulling the cover, try starting with the selector in neutral. It uses a different part of the neutral safety switch located at the base of the shift lever. It can also be easily bypassed with a jumper wire, but start at the ignition switch and work from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: