Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I made some progress on the door repair. My initial efforts with the hammer and dolly were not very fruitful due to the "crease" nature of the damage and the inner door brading getting in the way of the dolly. So I ended up doing the following:
- Work the the damage and low spots with the stud welder.
- Moved on to using an old mallet head as a dolly, and a conventional dolly as well, while I worked the larger low spots with my DIY slapper. The slapper is made out of a piece of 3/16" x 3" flat bar left over from the rotisserie build and a piece of bed rail bracketry bent as a handle. It's crude but it gets the job done for free. Very Happy
- The final step was to work out the last bit of the creases in a reverse dolly and slapper approach. I placed the slapper on the outside of the door (low side of the crease) and hammers it from behind with a low crown dolly. I know it is unorthodox and unconventional but it worked. I have a shrinking disc on order because there are several areas on the door that need to be shrunken before I can continue to shape the damaged areas properly. There are other repairs on the car that will need the shrinking disk as well. So far I have about five hours invested in the repair.

I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures below that I actually made some progress but I'll let you decide.

DIY Slapper
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Door Repair

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Good progress here, thanks for taking the time to keep us in touch!

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Well that was a nasty surprise. Great job bringing it back, looks like you made good progress. I’ve been curious about shrinking discs as well, would love to try one.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Well that was a nasty surprise. Great job bringing it back, looks like you made good progress. I’ve been curious about shrinking discs as well, would love to try one.
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I have watched many YouTube videos on dent flipping and body work which make the process look fairly straight forward. In practice I find the stud welder to work faster and more effectively than hammer/slapper and dolly. I have also found that using an appropriately shaped dolly to strike dents from the back side works quite well.

I plan to post plenty of pictorial and videorial ( is that even a word? Shocked ) documentation of the shrinking disc since there is not much present on TS; at least not that I found. For now I will move on to other non shinking disc requiring repairs of which are are plenty.

-----
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Long post ahead, TL; DR summary:
I am making progress on the passenger door repair and learning a bunch about panel beating. The shrinking disc is a spectacular tool. Skip ahead to the progress pics.

The Long Version
I have been working to repair the collision damage on the passenger door. So far, I have about 30 Hrs. invested in the process and can say I am close but not there yet. I have made significant progress in getting the door back to a reasonable approximation of its original shape. The tools involved so far are: (All amounts in $ US)
- Hammer and dolly set from Harbor Freight - $30
- Stud puller set from Harbor Freight - $99
- Homemade slapper/ dinging spoon – See previous post
- 30 YO Craftsman ball peen hammer modified with high crown face
- Half broken 4.5” Harbor Freight grinder - $25
- 7” Harbor Freight grinder - $32 (Purchased to accompany the shrinking disc)
- Old rubber mallet head (The handle broke)
- 5” and 9” shrinking disc set from ProShaper.com - $99

I watched, and continue to watch, many YouTube videos on dent flipping and shrinking disc technique. Many videos on YT are not worth 1/10 the time it takes to watch them. The ones that are well done are usually done by well-meaning professionals who have long forgotten what it was like when they were first learning their craft. I am thankful to the many crafts-men/women who have taken the time to share their knowledge and experience and will add what many of them fail to mention:
- Watching a video is no substitute for doing
- It takes a while of “doing” before you have the AHA moment of comprehension
- The real world repairs you do on your car will not be as easy as the ones they chose to use as a demonstration of a given technique
- You will mess up many times before you get something right. Once you get it right you will mess up many more times before you get it right consistently

What I have learned do far:
- Working on doors with hammer and dolly sucks. Murphy’s law is strongly at play here. Damage will occur primarily in places where either the dolly does not fit or cannot reach, or it will occur in places where you can’t get a good hammer swing on the inside of the door.
- A ball peen hammer laying on its side is ideal for beating on dents from the inside of the door.
- The shrinking disk works wonders at shrinking stretched metal. So well in fact that it takes a while to learn how not to go too far and have to stretch the metal before you can go too far again with the shrinking disk.
- Using an adjacent area of the panel you are working on to slow down the shrinking disk will have unintended consequences. IOW, shrunken metal where you don’t want it.
- The 9” shrinking disc is a substantial amount of rotating mass that wants to keep spinning long after you don’t want it to.
- The best way I found to use the 9” shrinking disk is to let go of the trigger before you think you should and let the disk stop in place before moving it to cool the area.
- A wet rag works better than a spray bottle because you can use it to cool the heated metal AND use it as a “cloth glove” to feel the metal for variances.

I said I would post some video of the shrinking disk but the video below (previously posted in this thread by TDCTDI) does a much better job than I ever could of explaining and demonstrating the shrinking disc. I considered the disc sold by the producer of the video but the one from ProShaper.com was highly recommended as well and came in at $40 less for the set with free shipping. The one I bought is well made, balanced, and robust. I recommend it if you are planning on getting one.

Link

Here are some comparison shots of my first pass at repairs and where I am now

Before

After

Before

After

The rest

-----
Emil

Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Outstanding work, I think most people would just find another door.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Outstanding work, I think most people would just find another door.
Thanks Pete, it's been a real learning experience. I am only slightly better adept at panel beating than I was when i started. I will say that it is starting to click.

UPDATE
I am going to call this little project done. After about 37 Hrs. of working on the door I am satisfied with the outcome. I put some final touches on the door today and took some measurements. The door is very close to the shape of the undamaged left door but does have some minor waves in it. When measured with a straightedge the variance between high and low spots is between 1/16" and 3/32". I used a paint stirring stick, which is 1/8" thick, to measure the gap at the low spots by placing it against the straightedge and eyeballing the separation. The door is now ready for the Onceler treatment Laughing My plan is to primer the door with MasterSeries inside and out and then do the final shaping with high build primer. It may be overly optimistic but it's worth a shot.

here are some pictures of the final product.

-----
Emil

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Applause Beautiful work! You should be proud of learning this new skill through shear desire and hard work. Polyester primer might just be enough to get it die straight.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

WOW!!!! Great job!

I guess that I need to invest in a shrinking disc also since there are so many dents on my car (And I’m sure that I’ve probably been voted “most likely to wreck their shit”.).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

WOW! Outstanding result! Congratulations
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Yep. a near impossible job well done and now you have a door that, every time you open it to get into the car, will remind you of the loving attention you paid it.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
...I guess that I need to invest in a shrinking disc also since there are so many dents on my car (And I’m sure that I’ve probably been voted “most likely to wreck their shit”.).
It would not have been posible to get the results I got without the shrinking disk. I ended up Stretching and shrinking different sections of the door about 8 times. I would go too far shrinking and would have to stretch the metal again to get it where I needed it. The shrinking disk was most useful in getting the metal back in order after planishing with the hammed and dolly.

I highly recommend the disk from ProShaper.com. Get the kit that includes the 5" disk and the 9" disk and backing plate. It is $99 US with free shipping in the continental US. If your 7"/9" grinder does not include the large backing flange you can use the Harbor Freigt 4.5" backing plate (4-1/2 in. Backing Pad for Resin Fiber Discs - Part # 60290) for both the 5" and 9" disks. This was recommended by Wray Schelin (he makes the disks.) It is what he uses because it is cheaper than making it himself.

The HF 7" grinder does not include the large flange so I assembled the stack in the following order:
- HF 7" Grinder
- non-threaded lower flange (small, included with grinder)
- 4.5" backing pad
- 5" shrinking disc (uused as a spaced)
- 9" backing plate
- 9" shrinking disk
- Flange nut (the one included with the 4.5" backing pad)

For the 4.5" grinder I did the following:
- HF 4.5" grinder
- non-threaded lower flange (small, included with grinder)
- 4.5" backing pad
- 5" shrinking disc
- Flange nut (the one included with the 4.5" backing pad)

I was told by several people to use the 9" disk unless I am working in tight spaces or need to keep the heat very localized.

-----
Emil

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

It has been miserably hot and I have only logged 7.5 Hrs. since may 24th. last Saturday I spent three Hrs. on the continuing effort to get the right rear quarter panel into reasonably straight shape. Some work remains but I am getting close. I have given up on my goal of metal perfection and settled on accepting a < 1/8” layer of filler if I can’t get it straight with high build primer alone.

Today I did my best Eddie Van Halen impersonation by spending 4.5 Hrs. doing hammer-ons and pull-offs on the left rear bumper bracket mount. OK, it was just hammering and yanking on the stud puller but I did get the bumper bracket straight and in what appears to be the proper special location within the body opening.

Here are a few before and after pictures

Before/after – Bracket mount

Before/after – Bracket location and orientation

-----
Emil

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I'm back with more questions Rolling Eyes

I have cut out some rust damage in the left-rear rocker/quarter outer skin. The pictures and video below show what I am dealing with. I would like to avoid cutting out any more metal if it can be avoided. My thoughts are to:
- Flood the area with phosphoric acid
- Abrade the area as best I can
- Repeat
- weld in a repair patch
- Flood the area with MasterSeries then drain

I don't want to go Captain Overkill but I don't want to phone it in either. Your feedback is encouraged.

Internal rocker skin after wire wheel

Internal rocker skin after wire wheel

Outer skin exterior (removed piece)

Outer skin interior (removed piece)

Wide shot of damaged area

Rocker metal integrity testing

Link

-----
Emil

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I did not fall off the face of the planet nor did I stop working on the Ghia. I have been slowly progressing on doing bad, ugly sheet metal welds and getting closer to covering the car in primer. I put together the following rough sketch for Marcdeb of the convertible back seat support bracket. This is not final but I figured I'd share what i have so far.

-----
Emil

fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

make it from cardboard just to make sure you can make your bends if needed number them in order ,have seen many including myself make a part you cant bend ...any that says they havent is full of poo. fabricator john
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Emil!! Good to see you back in action. That's really cool of you to mock up that design for Marc, I have been lurking through various local ads as well looking for a'Vert being scrapped to see if they have that part for him. I can't wait to see if/when he mocks something up in metal.

Jeff Popcorn Popcorn

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Your drawing looks great Emil. I really appreciate your taking the time to put this together for me. I will do my best to pay it forward. This community is amazing. The generosity and genuine willingness to help others is what makes TheSamba so special.

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on your car. The hammer and dolly work you did on the door is just incredible.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Emil!! Good to see you back in action. That's really cool of you to mock up that design for Marc, I have been lurking through various local ads as well looking for a'Vert being scrapped to see if they have that part for him. I can't wait to see if/when he mocks something up in metal.

Jeff Popcorn Popcorn

Thank you also Jeff. I'm totally committed to make these rear seat towers, especially after so much support from all of you. Thank you to Dave (djkeev) as well for his help. I have sourced the metal already and I have access to a Metal Brake. I will post my progress on my restoration thread when the time comes. Very Happy Very Happy

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I'm back after nearly 4 years to the day since my last update.

I need advice from those who have painted their own Ghias.
If all goes well, next weekend my wife will apply epoxy to the entire bare metal car. I started a thread in the Body/Paint forum and will link it here for reference:
Any tips on how to paint the "Naughty Bits" on a Karmann Ghia?

Here is the text from that post to spare you a trip over there:
Quote:
I will soon apply a complete epoxy sprayout on a fully bare metal 70 Ghia Vert mounted on a rotisserie.
I am particularly interested in tips and strategies on how to paint/approach the following:
- Under rear seat area (y-pipe pocket under rear seat sides)
- Behind and around convertible bracing and luggage tray
- Inner nose
- Engine compartment wheel well drop-downs.
- Front wheel well blind areas (behind fresh air vent duct, gas lid pocket, Etc.)
- Behind dash and dash "Side pockets"

I am not beyond using a brush or brush-like substance, and I have a mini detail spray gun as well as a full-size LVLP gun.

-----
Emil

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: