Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

euro911 wrote:
Sorry about your dad's accident ... a real eye-opener for sure. Hope he's doing OK these days.

No need for concern, I have no relation to that video. It is just the catalyst that made me rethink my choice in buying a used compressor with an unknown maintenance history.

You are correct in that is IS a real eye opener. After seeing that video I began to look into the subject and found several other similarly frightening accounts. $200 just isn't worth the risk. I did however keep the moving parts from the old compressor, including the mounting plate, so I can add the pump in parallel to my new compressor if I need more CFM.

See my build on TheSamba at:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks slick ,But...
Don't let my paranoia trigger your paranoia.......

Can a EMPI (china empi ) oil cooler handle a constant 160 PSI ? The AC condenser you mentioned seemed a better plan, Meant to hold compressed gas. I would at least gone with a Setrab. Smile . But seriously, I accidentally ran over one of those years ago and saw how thin walled they are.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
...Don't let my paranoia trigger your paranoia.......

Can a EMPI (china empi ) oil cooler handle a constant 160 PSI ?

No paranoia needed.
I spent quite some time researching these products. The cooler I went with is the Tru-Cool H7B ENGINE OIL COOLER which is made by Long industries, a division of DANA Inc, and is made in Canada. Long industries actually makes the B&M oil/transmission coolers as well as several other brands. My compressor is rated a 135 PSI Max and the cooler is only under load when the pump is running. I kept the check valve at the tank so the entire aftercooler system gets depressurized once the pump stops.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I don’t have any vehicle specific progress to report yet so I will take this opportunity to follow through on my commitment to transparency and sharing. I have made two costly mistakes so far during the reinterpretation of The Krakken. The first was the purchase of a used air compressor with unknown maintenance history and the other was the use of 3” casters on the body dolly.

The compressor: -$200
I purchased a used Craftsman compressor for $200 which I ended getting rid of. That saga is outlined above so I won’t rehash it. Suffice it to say I now have $800 invested and $600 worth of compressor to show for it.

The dolly: -9 Hrs
When I built my dolly back in 2015 I opted to use a $25 set of casters intended for a Lowe’s/Kobalt tool cabinet. It seemed like a good idea at the time since funds were short and after all wheels are wheels. NOT! It quickly became apparent that although the wheels rolled fine on the garage floor and the driveway, changing direction or going over the expansion joint between the driveway and the garage was a labor intensive and cumbersome process. Fast forward to the weekend of 8-19-17. After discovering that reasonably priced 5” casters could be purchased at Harbor Freight I decided to replace the four 3” swivel casters with two fixed 5” casters up front and two 5” swivel casters out back. Fortunately for me, size does matter. After spending nine hours working alone in a stale air, 90+*, 90% relative humidity garage I had the new casters under the car, rolling smoothly and effortlessly. The fixed casters up front means I can now point the car in the direction I want to go in and get there without the it wandering sideways.

The wheel replacement process was filled with even more mistakes. I built a two-piece dolly to hold the chassis in the hopes that I could transfer the body from the body dolly to the chassis as a temporary holder while I changed the wheels. Long story short, I was able to rest the back of the body on the chassis but the front had to be supported on jack stands. I Also struggled with the gantry crane I had built because it cleared the garage door at the outer edges but not the center where the door sags. In my defense the crane was built to be used outside where there is no height limitation. My crane has no wheels which makes it cumbersome to move without assistance.

The chassis dolly will work as intended with a few simple tweaks and the 3” casters will be used under the shortened crane when the time comes to install the new floors.

Conclusion:
1) To quote Scott Doonan: “If you take time to do it, do it right and don't be so damn cheap.”
2) If you buy a used air compressor, make sure that is verified to be structurally sound or that you have full confidence in the maintenance regiment kept by the previous owner. At a minimum confirm that it has been hydrostatically tested to twice the tanks rated pressure. You should also have it tested for corrosion and cracks in the tank. It’s only a good deal if it doesn’t try to kill you one day.
3) Use the biggest casters you can afford when building a rolling dolly. 8” pneumatic wheels are great for rolling on uneven, softer terrain (grass and gravel) but 5” or 6” rubber casters are ideal for hard surfaces.
4) A mix of fixed and swivel casters will make it easier to roll the dolly in the direction you want it to go but four-wheel swivel casters will make maneuvering in the garage a bit simpler.
5) If you build a gantry crane for body removal, make sure it will clear your garage door and put swivel casters under it; three casters on each side should work fine (one on each end of the horizontal legs and one directly under the uprights to prevent flex.)

Chassis and Body Dollies

Chassis Dolly Front

Chassis Dolly Rear

Old wheel

New Wheel rear

New Wheel Front

…we’re all in this together.

euro911
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I had a '66 Ghia 'vert' back in the 70's ... sorry I ever sold it Sad
'70 Karmann Ghia Coupe
'84 Vanagon Westfalia Camper ("Eileen")
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

How's the Ghia project coming?

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
How's the Ghia project coming?

Interesting you should ask today of all days. I just got a PM reply from chuck P/VWsplitMan this morning regarding my inquiry about MasterSeries. Yesterday I purchased 2 Gal. of Eastwood After Blast and will be ordering the MS silver and AG-111 in the next few days.

Due to compressor issues and the summer heat in FL I have not done much since March. As soon as I get the MS products I will re-blast the chassis, paint it, and then order and install new floor pans. The plan is to finish the chassis prep and build in the next few weeks then move on to rebuilding the front and rear suspension. If all goes well I intend to have everything in place all the way ot to the wheel bearings in the next few (4 to 6) months. I have also been in contact with OKType3Tim about having him rebuild my steering box. Brakes and wheels will have to wait until I decide on what wheels/bolt patern I plan to use and if I want rear disk brakes.

The biggest obstacle I have faced is my total ignorance about paint/coatings in general and more specifically, paint prep. I think I have enough of a grip on the subject now to start moving forward. While we're on the subject, does anyone have any references to AG-111 colors. I want to use one of the lighter colors on the nether-regions of the car to make working under the car easier on my eyes but I can not find any color samples on-line.

...Download Complete

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Minor update:
I have been working on garage organization and adding additional lighting. I also started the rebuilding process on the front beam. This led me to post "Spring pack stuck in ball joint trailing arm – suggestions?" in the Ghia forum since it is kind of a show stopper. The rebuild process may be more an exercise than forward progress since after speaking with fellow Samba member LowCashJohn I may go ahead and get a 2" - 3" adjustable narrowed beam, built locally by one of John's contacts, to compensate for the lowered spindles I plan to install.

Feel free to chime in with ideas for removing the spring pack from the trailing arm.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Do you have the drop spindles already? I have a brand new set, installed them momentarily and found they would not work with my 17" rims. Took them off and posted them for sale. Have since reinstalled the stock spindles.

The front end rebuild has been a pain in the arse for me, although my leaf springs came right out of the control arms no problem. I installed custom through rods for air ride... But again changed my mind and just bought some 2" narrowed leaf springs from air-cooled.net. They claim they are 10% softer springs to compensate for the 2" narrower length.

Lemme know if you're interested in the dropped spindles... I will let them go for a better price than listed. Good luck with the front end.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Garage upgrades and parts cleaning and tunnel work, oh my! Reply with quote

Still here

I have been doing some garage rehab work and parts cleaning.
My foray into household electrical upgrades once agin finds me in the garage. I decided to address the anemic lighting I had by going "Captain Overkill" on the situation. All the electrical wiring was run through surface mounted PVC conduit and two-gang boxes. I'll spare you the details and the "Blue Word" count. I will be adding at least 3 more 48" lamps over the Ghia (Left bay.)

I cut two access holes in the tunnel to reinforce the clutch tube and run two 3/8" NiCopp fuel lines for a Subaru fuel system. I am leaving the existing line in place to be used as a boost gauge line if I go turbo. This work is on hold until the 25' roll of NiCopp tubing arrives.

BEFORE
Six 3 way, 60 Watt Eq. CFL Ceiling fan fixtures mounted directly to ceiling electrical boxes. The picture represents what the garage looked like to me with the equivalent of 600 Watts of light before the upgrades. I am night blind and no amount of light will ever be enough.

AFTER
The above, plus five, 2 way x 48" fluorescent lamps (3 spanning the right garage bay), one, 2 way x 24" fluorescent lamp, and three 2 way x 24" fluorescent lamps over the newly added work bench.

Cheers,
Emil

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Heater/Rocker Channel – Evaluation and recommendations Reply with quote

I have been up to no good lately, but first a word from our sponsor: Laughing
Please check out my "Request for help" post in the Body/paint forum at:
Heater/Rocker Channel – Evaluation and recommendations

I have stripped the paint off the rocker skins and external heater channel surfaces, and mostly vacuumed out the Heater and Rocker cavities.
Ian Godfrey wrote:
I got a bit of stiff wire to scratch it all up, then used a piece of clear plastic hose that fitted in the inspection hole (15mm I think) and taped it to my vacuum cleaner. scratch, suck, repeat!
the clear hose shows when it blocks up Rolling Eyes
If it is all good, rust convertor, thorough dry and wax with a wand to finish
I used a modified version of the above suggestion as follows:
For the Rocker cavities
1) Attached a 6' length off 1/2" Copper pipe to my shop vac
2) Built a 6' blow gun extension using 3/8" Copper tubing, rigid plastic tubing, and of course, Duct Tape.
3) Inserted 1/2" pipe into upper-outer rear access hole
4) Inserted blow gun extension into lower rear access hole
5) Blow/suck while moving the tubes back and forth in unison (blow gun used on both sides of the convertible brace)
6) supplement with a 6' x 1/8" rod to scratch and loosen stuff in there
7) Repeat

For the Heater cavities
1) Vacuum using the 1/2" pipe through the upper-inner rear access hole
2) Vacuum through the cabin heater vent opening using the full shop-vac hose
3) Scratch and blow while vacuuming from both sides

I will need to get a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe because the Copper pipe will not flex and does not drop down enough to collect all the goodness at the bottom of the rocker cavities. It is also not able to get between the convertible brace and the heater Chanel so that side still needs PVC love.

Evil_Fiz wrote:
...Next up is a nasty surprise I got yesterday. It looks like I may need to do surgery on the rockers.
...The way I see it I have 3 options:
1)...
2) Drill out the spot welds, carefully remove the entire rocker skin, asses and repair the damage to the skin and structural members, and finally return the skin to its regularly scheduled location.
3) Cut the rocker skin inside the edges and seams, repair the skin damage, weld the cutout back in.

I am leaning towards option 2 since it will allow me to reuse the repaired rocker skin in the event I need to replace any of the structural pieces.
I am now torn between options 2 and 3.
- Option 2 is more involved but will grant full access if I can accomplish it
- Option 2 involves removal of the lower-rear front and lower-front rear fender/wing sections
- Option 3 is limited by the attachment of the convertible brace to the outer rocker skin but involves less disruption of OG metal
- option 3 will leave at least a 1/16' gap that will need to be dealt with when welding the cut-outs back in. A Dremel with fiber reinforced disks may reduce the kerf size but it may still be too big a gap

kman wrote:
...Take the rocker skin off as carefully as possible. You may not reuse it but at least you will have the option (I wouldn't, welding up holes like that is extremely frustrating and a waste of time) You will likely find that things are much worse inside.

Good luck. Be patient and focus on one thing at a time.
Has anyone done this? I have searched here and on the Net at large with little luck.

Below are images depicting the exterior, bare metal condition of the Rockers and Heater channels and a series of videos depicting the "Cleaner" internal condition of same (Endoscope Camera.) To my untrained eye the damage looks minimal/non-catastrophic but I could be completely misreading the clues.

If you find my other post TL;DR, please provide any feedback you can based on the media below. I would really appreciate the help If you are aware of any information/links/articles that could guide me.

Right Rocker

Right Heater

Left Rocker

Left Heater

RIGHT ROCKER - OUTER-UPPER

Link

RIGHT ROCKER - OUTER & NNER

Link

RIGHT ROCKER - INNER-UPPER

Link

RIGHT HEATER

Link

LEFT ROCKER - OUTER & INNER

Link

LEFT ROCKER - INNER-UPPER

Link

LEFT HEATER

Link

Thanks …We’re all in this together
Emil

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Is option #1 to cut small patches where the holes are? To me it is much easier to make 10 small patches and not remove the rocker.... You just need to cut enough to get to metal thick enough to weld.
I just did some repairs to the gates on my truck, similar to the rocker panel its boxed metal. After repairing my areas (like your above) I flooded the cavity with phosphoric acid, let it sit and flood it again (i used a submersible pump and hose to pump the phos acid up and let it rain down). Then rinsed, blow dry and then poured a thinned quart of rustoleum (home depot) to coat the inside. It covered very well, dried hard. I figure to get another 50+ years out of them.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

^^^ I am planning on doing just that once I do whatever repairs I settle on. I had not thought of the recirculation via pump. Consider the idea stolen borrowed.

- Are you reusing the cut-out metal after repairing or replacing with new metal?
- Any suggestions on how to minimize the kerf on the cut-outs? I thought of welding in an extension to the pieces I remove, grinding flat, then cutting to fit tight before welding in. What can of worms am I opening with that one?
- What is you opinion of the extent of the damage? That is the part I most uncertain about.

Thanks

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
^^^ I am planning on doing just that once I do whatever repairs I settle on. I had not thought of the recirculation via pump. Consider the idea stolen borrowed.

- Are you reusing the cut-out metal after repairing or replacing with new metal?
- Any suggestions on how to minimize the kerf on the cut-outs? I thought of welding in an extension to the pieces I remove, grinding flat, then cutting to fit tight before welding in. What can of worms am I opening with that one?
- What is you opinion of the extent of the damage? That is the part I most uncertain about.

Thanks

I had the same type of damage on my heater channels, cut out the series of rust holes in small rectangular pieces. Do not re-use cut out pieces. Several ways to transfer (cover your "hole" with masking tape trace edge), replicate on metal...or cereal box type of cardboard test fit, cut repair piece in sheet metal. If you go the extra step of coating the inside you should get several decades without issues. I have a bunch of metal i pulled off old VW's, that is the metal i use for repairs, makes sense to me. Extent of damage, not too bad at all IMO.
I think you may be over-thinking or I am not understanding kerf comment. I cut pieces to fit, leave 1/16 or slightly more gap. Gap is filled by weld. If i leave no gap....first, its really hard to do and i think it causes the piece to shift or expand during welding. Warping. Feel free to re-explain the kerf issue if i am not comprehending your question.
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

as far as I can see your rockers are generally in VERY GOOD condition. I second cutting out only the damaged areas (rectangles mostly) and this will also give you new access places to continue cleaning.
When done, weld in new steel and rust proof. I use recycled VW steel also. (an old door skin)
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

@c21darrel, here is the long version of my question.
Removal of the panel in the picture would be necessary if I chose to remove the entire rocker skin intact with the convertible brace attached to it. The cut line would apply to any reusable panels suck as a partial removal of the rocker skin, i.e. If I drill the outer spot welds on the top of the rocker skin along the outer door sill and cut just above where the vert brace is spot welded to the rocker skin. Vertical cuts would be made just inside of the front and rear seams.

If I remove the panel in the picture by drilling out the spot welds and cutting along the dashed line, I will end up with a 1/16"+ gap when I try to fit the panel back onto the car. My cutting wheels are 1/16" thick. Assuming I cut a perfectly straight line (not likely,) I will have a ~1/16" gap between the removed piece and the panel on the car. It is my understanding that a 1/32" gap is ideal. Given my lacking welding skills I am afraid I would do more harm than good when trying to re-attach the cut piece to the car with a 1/16" gap.

How can I address this problem?
My thought was to weld in a strip at the cut edge, grind it flat, then cut to size leaving a 1/32" gap. Worth it? better way to do it?

BTW, I saved my removed floor pans so I could harvest metal from them if needed.

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Ian Godfrey wrote:
as far as I can see your rockers are generally in VERY GOOD condition. I second cutting out only the damaged areas (rectangles mostly) and this will also give you new access places to continue cleaning.
When done, weld in new steel and rust proof. I use recycled VW steel also. (an old door skin)
Should I be concerned about the damage to the Left side convertible brace?
See video:
Damage to the forward-most flanges on the convertible rocker brace – Left side
-Video: LEFT ROCKER - INNER-UPPER @ 0:11

Link

Perhaps employ your suggestion of a small cut-out and weld in a reinforcement?
As I mentioned in my other thread I don’t want to be "That Guy” who half assed the work but I want to avoid “If it aint broke, keep fixing it till it is”

Thanks for the input guys. It helps a lot.

...we're all in this together,
Emil

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Quote:
Removal of the panel in the picture would be necessary if I chose to remove the entire rocker skin intact with the convertible brace attached to it. The cut line would apply to any reusable panels suck as a partial removal of the rocker skin, i.e. If I drill the outer spot welds on the top of the rocker skin along the outer door sill and cut just above where the vert brace is spot welded to the rocker skin. Vertical cuts would be made just inside of the front and rear seams.

Im not quite sure why you want to remove that panel (unless damage on the side we cant see? 1/16th gap should be no problem, im beginning to believe you are over-thinking. I think what might help you is to practice your welding. Then, practice some more. These questions in your head should disappear with practice. Tack some pieces at 1/16 and 1/32. Unless you are very good at patterns, cutting...its really hard and un-likely to cut a repair piece with a consistent 1/32nd gap. If my gap is less than 1/8th im usually happy and can stitch/tack the gap w/o issue.
The metal in the pan halves may be a little thin. Like Ian said doors, hoods, anything that is fairly flat will work for repairs.
Not that i am following you down the proverbial rabbit hole...if you get into a situation where your repair piece is a little short (like your crazy example Smile ) if you can get to the back, press a flattened piece of copper pipe against your gap. The copper will help you bridge the gap. 1/16, you wont need a backer, sometimes you will blow a little hole...thats where the copper backer will help. Just practice and you will gain confidence. Think Nike, Just Do It! Very Happy

Edit...IMO, repairing only the little rust holes you have with a bunch of small patches is not half assing it or substandard work, its pretty much the way 90% of pros do it.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

Im not quite sure why you want to remove that panel (unless damage on the side we cant see? 1/16th gap should be no problem, im beginning to believe you are over-thinking. I think what might help you is to practice your welding. Then, practice some more. These questions in your head should disappear with practice. Tack some pieces at 1/16 and 1/32. Unless you are very good at patterns, cutting...its really hard and un-likely to cut a repair piece with a consistent 1/32nd gap. If my gap is less than 1/8th im usually happy and can stitch/tack the gap w/o issue.
The metal in the pan halves may be a little thin. Like Ian said doors, hoods, anything that is fairly flat will work for repairs.
Not that i am following you down the proverbial rabbit hole...if you get into a situation where your repair piece is a little short (like your crazy example Smile ) if you can get to the back, press a flattened piece of copper pipe against your gap. The copper will help you bridge the gap. 1/16, you wont need a backer, sometimes you will blow a little hole...thats where the copper backer will help. Just practice and you will gain confidence. Think Nike, Just Do It! Very Happy

Edit...IMO, repairing only the little rust holes you have with a bunch of small patches is not half assing it or substandard work, its pretty much the way 90% of pros do it.

Good advice, just gotta dive in, maybe start with some of the smaller patches so u can gain confidence. And if your dissatisfied, cut it out and try again
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I would cut out the rusty areas and see what you find inside - just avoid the urge to go nuts and cut too much out because based on my experience it is much easier to cut too much than it is to repair too little.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: