Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

@xzener: 10-4, thanks.
I was wondering how it got hit so hard as to dent it without damaging the surrounding tissue.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

It's me again... I have a head scratcher this time.

What's wrong with this picture?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Answer

A few days ago I noticed air leaking from the fitting on the exit side of my compressor aftercooler. When I went to remove it today to apply Teflon paste and re-tighten it I found the brass NPT/Flare flitting cracked and held in place by a sliver and the copper line attached to it. This is the COLD side that barely gets 10* above ambient.

I am looking for ideas on how to remove the brass piece stuck in the cooler (the cooler threads are aluminum.)
I am also curious if anyone has a theory about why it cracked the way it did.

Thanks,
Emil

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazy tarzan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

find an appropriate sized easy out for the remnant -- since the other part simply cracked/sheared off you should be able to back it out (make sure you hit it with some penetrating oil too).

My guess is the fitting had a flaw in in, and when tightening the first time it compounded the problem. Then add in the heat/cool cycles from the compressor running and it finished it off. But again simply speculation.
Tanoki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Ha Emil,

Great project you are working on!
My compliments on the way you are documenting your progress!
Best of luck and most of all, keep having fun!

Greets!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Since my last update, I have spent roughly 21 hrs. removing paint and 4 Hrs. disassembling the donor storage area floor section. Today I will most likely finish stripping the nose area and the area behind the dash. I have been using a combination of CiriStrip, razor blades, and a scouring pad to remove the paint from these less than flat areas. I have also been using a 3" crimped wire cup brush on the grinder where possible.

I am debating whether to remove the paint in the rear quarter panel cavities or simply prep and prime over the OG paint. I have found "Factory" rust under paint in places I did not expect and I know there is some in the cavity behind the passenger "B" pillar. I will hold off on deciding until I get my tilt dolly built. (I am leaning towards removal)

I had toyed with the idea of building the tilt dolly out of 4x4s and 4x6s reinforced with recycled bed rails because I don't have a way to transport large pieces of steel tubing. The solution to this limitation presented itself when watching a YouTube video on metal shaping. There is a company called Metal Supermarket that sells tubing cut to size for a reasonable price and they recently opened a store in North Jacksonville, FL. Applause Now I can do it the right way.

Here are some pictures of the progress.

Rockers and "B" pillars

Back seat area

Trunk and Nose area

Dash, Under-dash, and "A" pillar area

-----
Emil

Last edited by Evil_Fiz on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Holy shit, you're insane! Shocked Laughing

Hose that thing down with a couple gallons of WD40 or it'll have a beautiful satin brown finish by the end of the week (if not day (especially where your skin has come in contact with it.).).

Be sure to plug those holes on top of the rocker panel/threshold towards the rear of the door opening, by design, that's where water enters the heater channel.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vw.dodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Wow Emil, you must have a lot of time invested! I’m glad to see it happening since it sat in my shop for so many years! But I do need to ask (after the fact): do you think it would have been more cost effective (considering time invested and all) to have the whole body dunked in the tank? Think
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
...Hose that thing down with a couple gallons of WD40 or it'll have a beautiful satin brown finish by the end of the week (if not day (especially where your skin has come in contact with it.)
The outer body panels, rockers. "A" and "B" pillars, dash, and under-dash area have all been treated with Eastwood After Blast (Phosphoric acid, Zinc Phosphate, and cleaners.) Surprisingly the back seat area has been bare for about two weeks and the trunk area for about one week. The smooth metal is less susceptible to surface rust than blasted or sanded metal, but yes I (hopefully) will be treating those areas tomorrow with After Blast.
I was told by one of the techs at Southern Polyurethane Inc. to never use WD-40 anywhere near where painting will be done and especially not on panels that will be painted. Have you had any issues painting over metal that was treated with WD-40 and properly cleaned prior to paint?

TDCTDI wrote:
...Be sure to plug those holes on top of the rocker panel/threshold towards the rear of the door opening, by design, that's where water enters the heater channel.
Too late... but fortunately I removed the paint from the rocker with a wire cup brush on the grinder. They were done long before I started stripping the paint. I have to open up the rockers to do rust repairs and I plan to clean and treat the interior when I do.

vw.dodge wrote:
Wow Emil, you must have a lot of time invested! I’m glad to see it happening since it sat in my shop for so many years!
I have approximately 64 Hrs. invested in paint and surface rust removal so far and about $175 in materials. The time invested is "hobby time" that gets me away from sitting at a computer all day (IT desk job) and I have the satisfaction of doing the work myself. I know it's not for everyone but since I don't drive anymore, building the car is my way of deriving satisfaction from it.

vw.dodge wrote:
...But I do need to ask (after the fact): do you think it would have been more cost effective (considering time invested and all) to have the whole body dunked in the tank? Think
Media blasting would cost about $1200 and dipping would cost about $2500 plus transportation to and from Orlando, FL. I seriously considered dipping the car but feared that paint/primer would get removed from places I could not re-treat AND (this is the big one) I have more time than cash.

Update:
I ran out of steam after three Hrs. of scraping and scrubbing the nose area and part of the "behind the dash" area so I will finish it tomorrow and then hopefully I can treat the bare metal areas with After Blast.

-----
Emil

Last edited by Evil_Fiz on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Wow, that's a lot of work, done it myself before, have you tried these? Seem to work pretty good.

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of work, done it myself before, have you tried these? Seem to work pretty good...
Yup, sure have, I used those to remove filler on the body and undercoating in the wheel wells. I have two sitting on the shelf waiting to report for active duty. The problem is that the areas I have left to do are tight spaces with very few flat areas. The coarse souring pads with paint remover work exceptionally well. The CitriStrip is non-toxid so it dosen't matter if I get any on me. I just have to let it work overnight.

-----
Emil

vw.dodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Keep on truckin’! I don’t know how many others are following this, but I for one am impressed and look forward to every new post!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Wow, that's a lot of work, done it myself before, have you tried these? Seem to work pretty good.

I love theses. They eat through paint and lightly applied Bondo.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:

vw.dodge wrote:
Wow Emil, you must have a lot of time invested! I’m glad to see it happening since it sat in my shop for so many years!
I have approximately 64 Hrs. invested in paint and surface rust removal so far and about $175 in materials. The time invested is "hobby time" that gets me away from sitting at a computer all day (IT desk job) and I have the satisfaction of doing the work myself. I know it's not for everyone but since I don't drive anymore, building the car is my way of deriving satisfaction from it.

Emil

I fully agree with your approach, Emil. It's all about the satisfaction you derive from doing the job yourself. It's like running a marathon: There's no real point in it considering the time and effort spent in training, but at the finish line you know that there's nothing you cannot do when you put your mind to it.

I love your thread and I respect your attitude. Power to your arm!
Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Thanks for the progress pics. Mine is in similar condition and i am stripping it similarly as I move along. That fiber disc is my favourite way of removing old paint and light bondo. Works great. I found that if you strip paint chemically and do not mechanically disturb the original under surface with the disc or wire wheel, rust does not set it for a while. I stripped most of my Ghia last summer with aircraft paint remover and left it uncoated since then and I do not have any rust developing. I do keep my project in the garage and wheel it out on nice days. I live in southern Ontario and our humidity levels are similar to midwest humidity levels. The original rust treatment that was applied at the factory works well to prevent surface rust. However disturb that coating and all bets are off. I recall reading and seeing a picture of VWs being dipped into a galvanizing bath or or some other kind of rust coating prior to paint.

Keep moving along. Like you, I enjoy doing the work, working at it when I can, stopping when frustrated but I do it as a form of mental therapy. When asked when it will be ready I reply, when it's ready. Mark
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

I'm glad people are enjoying the thread. I sincerely appreciate all the supportive and contributory comments, they help bring me down from the tree when I get frustrated.

Thank you kindly, we're all in this together
Emil

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Your "clean" metal looks very good!! behind the back seat area …. not so much. Crying or Very sad Your work is a painful reminder of when i did the exact same stuff...Paint stripper, sanding discs, grinder with knotted wire, or w/o the knots, dremels...every different spot requires a different rust removal process, technique or tool. Keep plugging along, eventually it gets done and no one has a stop watch on you.

Edit, dont worry about the holes on the sill plate. There SHOULD be drains on the lower rocker.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
...Your "clean" metal looks very good!! behind the back seat area …. not so much. Crying or Very sad
Yup. Fortunately the PO included a complete luggage compartment donor.
I already removed the convertible seat back supports from the car, hence the big holes at the corners in the pictures above. I will be tackling replacement project once I am done with the paint removal and I get my tilt dolly built. I hope to rescue the parts I don't use from it to pass them on to a deserving home.

Donor section included with the car

-----
Emil

Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

SISTER MARY FRANCIS... Shocked

I think it would have been less exhausting and far less difficult to mow a 2 acre hillside at a 50% grade using a non-self propelled 22" lawnmower than it was to strip and rust-protect the entire under hood area. And I still have some sand blasting to do in the hard to reach recesses. By comparison the back seat area and engine compartment will be a breeze.

I'm glad i decided to strip this area since I found a fair bit of surface rust and pitting that had to go. Some rust repairs will be needed on the underside of the nose but that will have to wiat for the tilt dolly to get built using now overpriced steel... but tariffs are good right? Rolling Eyes

-----
Emil

Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Nice work! There's a guy in my area who does dustless blasting but I understand that leaves behind a ton of residue. Sanding by hand seems much more satisfying.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
...There's a guy in my area who does dustless blasting but I understand that leaves behind a ton of residue. Sanding by hand seems much more satisfying.
Doing the work yourself IS satisfying and less costly from a $$$ perspective but is is boring, tedious, time consuming, and tiring. The nose and behind-the-dash area have been particularly "all of the above." I don't discourage manually stripping the body but recognize the value of dustless blasting if done properly.

Here are some pics to document the engine bay and trunk area. Both have been stripped and treated.

Engine Bay

Behing the dash

Spare tire well

-----
Emil

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: