Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternative methods to wire Hella reverse lights
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Alternative methods to wire Hella reverse lights Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have a request for all of you. I need help with an alternative route to wire my Hella reverse lights on my 65 beetle.

I know the typical wiring method for Hella reverse lights for beetles. Wire from the coil, to a fuse, to the switch on the nose cone of the transmission to the light assemblies (lights providing the ground to the loop).

Here is my predicament. I am not running a coil on my current motor. I am going the EFI route and I am running Coil Near Plug ignition setup utilizing LS2 Coil Packs. So I don't have the ability to wire my lights to the traditional coil setup.

Could anyone help me determine an alternate way to wire them?

Greatly appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The method I use on my 58. Works sweet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?...bdffd589de
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative methods to wire Hella reverse lights Reply with quote

Bret Young wrote:

1. You could run a wire from a switched position on the fuse box back to the reverse switch on the transmission. I'd recommend to use an in-line fuse with this too.

2. You could run a wire with an in-line fuse from the starter big wire to the reverse switch on the transmission. Just don't leave the VW in reverse when you park it.

Questions: 1. How does your electric choke get its voltage? 2. Does your '65 still have a voltage regulator mounted on the generator?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative methods to wire Hella reverse lights Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Bret Young wrote:

1. You could run a wire from a switched position on the fuse box back to the reverse switch on the transmission. I'd recommend to use an in-line fuse with this too.

2. You could run a wire with an in-line fuse from the starter big wire to the reverse switch on the transmission. Just don't leave the VW in reverse when you park it.

Questions: 1. How does your electric choke get its voltage? 2. Does your '65 still have a voltage regulator mounted on the generator?

since it's EFI, he doesnt have a choke, and probably isnt running a 6v generator either... just sayin

the reason they usually run off the coil is because it's easier than running a dedicated wire. So just run a designated wire off the ignition switch, all the way to the back. Or from whatever is powering (key on) your EFI really
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative methods to wire Hella reverse lights Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
since it's EFI, he doesnt have a choke, and probably isnt running a 6v generator either... just sayin

the reason they usually run off the coil is because it's easier than running a dedicated wire. So just run a designated wire off the ignition switch, all the way to the back. Or from whatever is powering (key on) your EFI really

Erik is spot on. No choke, No 6V, and I am running a 12V alternator, so its internally regulated.

There will be a handful of 12V relays under the back seat that power will be sent to to power the ECU under the back seat. I will take a look at that, I could easily run it from the relay and then whenever the key is on, the reverse lights will have juice.

Cusser wrote:
You could run a wire with an in-line fuse from the starter big wire to the reverse switch on the transmission. Just don't leave the VW in reverse when you park it.

I had considered the possibility of running it to the starter or straight to the battery, but had a feeling that would result in leaving the reverse lights on when in reverse since that method would always have juice to it. That would not work for me since I have a Berg locking shifter.....that locks in reverse.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative methods to wire Hella reverse lights Reply with quote

Bret Young wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Erik is spot on. No choke, No 6V, and I am running a 12V alternator, so its internally regulated.

There will be a handful of 12V relays under the back seat that power will be sent to to power the ECU under the back seat. I will take a look at that, I could easily run it from the relay and then whenever the key is on, the reverse lights will have juice

Cusser wrote:
You could run a wire with an in-line fuse from the starter big wire to the reverse switch on the transmission. Just don't leave the VW in reverse when you park it.

I had considered the possibility of running it to the starter or straight to the battery, but had a feeling that would result in leaving the reverse lights on when in reverse since that method would always have juice to it. That would not work for me since I have a Berg locking shifter.....that locks in reverse.

this (what I bolded above). this is the whole reason they originally used the coil wire for power, with the switched wire from the trans (or the spedometer unit above, but those are not as good and take you actually rolling to get it to light up)

there is this one as well

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rsfoon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative methods to wire Hella reverse lights Reply with quote

Erik G, where did you find that reverse light switch off the shift rod?
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Alternative methods to wire Hella reverse lights Reply with quote

Bret Young wrote:

There will be a handful of 12V relays under the back seat that power will be sent to to power the ECU under the back seat. I will take a look at that, I could easily run it from the relay and then whenever the key is on, the reverse lights will have juice.

No doubt that's the best solution.

But - the oil pressure switch has power when the key is on. If you use it as the 12v source the OP light might come on on the dashboard when you put it in reverse. Then you would have a reverse warning light. Shocked Very Happy

(KIDDING, just kidding ...)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: