Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
WW Stroker Crank Question
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero


Joined: January 21, 2004
Posts: 2046
Location: 41.77 | -83.56
Lidpainter is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

I did a search but I could not find this info. Please don't flame me if I missed something obvious. I was wondering what pistons and rods are supposed to be used with the Wolfsburg West 36 hp stroker crank. Any info would be great. Thanks.
_________________
EverettB wrote:
Thanks, time to bulk up on meat!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonnyla
Samba Member


Joined: November 11, 2013
Posts: 62
Location: Mesa, AZ
Jonnyla is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe stock pistons and cylinders along with some shims between the cylinders and block. I may be way off but I think I read that somewhere... So basically someone with more knowledge needs to pipe in still. Laughing
_________________
'55 3 fold sedan, stock with lower stance (project)
'57 sedan, future old speed outlaw style (project)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert Chambers
Samba Member


Joined: August 11, 2005
Posts: 129

Robert Chambers is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WW Okrasa Kit was covered a couple of times in the Dune Buggy and Hot VWs magazine. July 2010 first, then again in July and August , 2015. Not sure if it will answer all your questions, but they are a good reference for me. I have been following these threads and articles for a similar build. I recently bought an early Porsche crankshaft for my 36 dual carb build. Good luck with yours!
_________________
'63 OG 117 Herbie Replica
'56 Euro Oval Deluxe "Nigel"
'53 Standard Zwitter "Stan"
'63 Anthracite 117 Survivor "Dusty"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member


Joined: May 07, 2004
Posts: 202
Location: Sweden
tobiasax is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:
I did a search but I could not find this info. Please don't flame me if I missed something obvious. I was wondering what pistons and rods are supposed to be used with the Wolfsburg West 36 hp stroker crank. Any info would be great. Thanks.


Hello, the stock rods need a light grinding and stock Pistons need to be modified. See my drawing at: http://lowlightkaizen.blogspot.se/2014/04/piston-clearance-for-695-mm-ww-crank.html?m=1
_________________
__________________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RareAir
Samba Member


Joined: May 11, 2002
Posts: 14290
Location: 18 miles North of the border
RareAir is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

tobiasax wrote:
Lidpainter wrote:
I did a search but I could not find this info. Please don't flame me if I missed something obvious. I was wondering what pistons and rods are supposed to be used with the Wolfsburg West 36 hp stroker crank. Any info would be great. Thanks.


Hello, the stock rods need a light grinding and stock Pistons need to be modified. See my drawing at: http://lowlightkaizen.blogspot.se/2014/04/piston-clearance-for-695-mm-ww-crank.html?m=1


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
1947 Typ 11a
1954 Typ 117
1955 356A
1956 Typ 151
1959 Typ 117
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksartist
Samba Member


Joined: May 26, 2004
Posts: 244
Location: Bradford, Ontario
volksartist is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushrod spacers as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member


Joined: May 07, 2004
Posts: 202
Location: Sweden
tobiasax is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksartist wrote:
Pushrod spacers as well.


It depends on the rest of the engine. My heads was machined down somewhat so I achieved good valve train geometry without spacers.

Lessoned learned: don't do anything to the pushrods until the engine is assembled.
_________________
__________________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel hunt
Samba Member


Joined: September 28, 2015
Posts: 7

Daniel hunt is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

I'm also going with the 69.5mm stroker counterweight crank in my 1959 bug. also going with a 80mm by 64mm big bore kit by AA performance requires machine work but will be worth it.

struggling on conrods though I read somewhere that staying with the stock length conrod will cause extra stress and so on. And so should use 5.394 length conrod instead. anyone got any experience with this or just knows if this is correct.

Also what needed/how much machining was required to the heads to allow a 69.5mm stroker?
Only info I find is to add shims but how much exactly and what I'm unsure.

btw I'm very new to the VW scene.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member


Joined: May 07, 2004
Posts: 202
Location: Sweden
tobiasax is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

Daniel hunt wrote:
I'm also going with the 69.5mm stroker counterweight crank in my 1959 bug. also going with a 80mm by 64mm big bore kit by AA performance requires machine work but will be worth it.

struggling on conrods though I read somewhere that staying with the stock length conrod will cause extra stress and so on. And so should use 5.394 length conrod instead. anyone got any experience with this or just knows if this is correct.

Also what needed/how much machining was required to the heads to allow a 69.5mm stroker?
Only info I find is to add shims but how much exactly and what I'm unsure.

btw I'm very new to the VW scene.


Stock con rods work just fine.

You need a spacer that builds approx. half the increased stroke (69,5-64)/2=2,75 mm

The extra stroke will increase the compression with a given set of heads. If you want to increase more you need to machine the heads, otherwise not.
_________________
__________________________________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member


Joined: April 01, 2012
Posts: 2600
Location: Seattle
EVfun is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

With the talk about spacers are all the stroked 36 horse motors running dual carb setups? I don't see how a stock intake manifold would fit.
_________________
Wildthings wrote:
As a general rule, cheap parts are the most expensive parts you can buy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member


Joined: February 16, 2005
Posts: 4318

sled is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

It's extremely easy to cut and lengthen the intake tubing. Exhaust pipes generally have to be modified as well.
_________________
drive your split.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member


Joined: April 01, 2012
Posts: 2600
Location: Seattle
EVfun is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

sled wrote:
It's extremely easy to cut and lengthen the intake tubing. Exhaust pipes generally have to be modified as well.

I don't think I've ever seen a welded intake manifold. I would be concerned that good weld penetration would end up creating a weld bump inside and airflow disruption.
_________________
Wildthings wrote:
As a general rule, cheap parts are the most expensive parts you can buy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member


Joined: June 12, 2005
Posts: 153
Location: Oshawa Ontario Canada
snowbug is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: WW Stroker Crank Question Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:
I did a search but I could not find this info. Please don't flame me if I missed something obvious. I was wondering what pistons and rods are supposed to be used with the Wolfsburg West 36 hp stroker crank. Any info would be great. Thanks.
have a look at my build, I am not using any spacers. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589193 Jim
_________________
Old enough to remember THRILLS, the gum that tastes like soap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2016, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB