Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 1500S Notchback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

Yup, when I built my 65 Notch, I didn't think twice about going 12 volt. As it was, I basically had to replace all of the electrics anyway, so I just went thru my 12 volt parts collection, and used what I had.
Way back in the early-mid 80's I had a 66 Square that was 6 volt. I drove it about an hour at night, then the next day tried to start it only to have a dead battery. I then proceeded to convert it to 12 volt using parts from a 71 square that was being parted out. I never had a dead battery in that car again after I converted it. Sold it with the 12 volt conversion too, after I explained what I did to the new owner.
On my T-34, I converted it to 12 volt as well, and didn't think twice about it. When I sold that car, I included ALL of the 6 volt stuff I removed in case the new owner wanted to return it back to 6 volt.
If you use stock T-3 parts, it makes converting it easy, and returnable back to 6 volts IF you want to.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

After having the Gen & Reg checked - the Reg is dead. No bueno since its a custom job I had done.

I bought some nice 6 volt regulators from BusOK and am ready to move on. Install is coming up.

I did have some weird issue with belt on the generator. Belt is correct but is loose? All the shims are out too.

I took some time too and put the NOS Marshal Fogs on the Pedro bar. These look so cool and may still end up on the front of this car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

Also on the list this last week was to re-seal the wood slats on the roof rack. They get Sun Farked here in SoCal quickly. If these flake again Im taking off the clear and using Teak Oil.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I did have some weird issue with belt on the generator. Belt is correct but is loose? All the shims are out too.

Wrong belt? 6v pulley diameter is smaller - Gates 7390 fits well but Gates 7395 is too big, in my experience.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Wrong belt? 6v pulley diameter is smaller - Gates 7390 fits well but Gates 7395 is too big, in my experience.

You would think. But the pully on the 12 is the same as the 6 (at least mine are). I started this whole ordeal with a belt for a 66 Fastback - 6v and in American spec books for parts. Its not that it wont fit. The belt is on and spins the gen just fine - at all in - no shims - tightest possible scenario. Its just super slack in my opinion. I want to spin the motor off the tension of the belt, not jab through the hole and bung up my tin. Like every T3 Ive ever owned.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:
notchboy wrote:

You would think. But the pully on the 12 is the same as the 6 (at least mine are). I started this whole ordeal with a belt for a 66 Fastback - 6v and in American spec books for parts. Its not that it wont fit. The belt is on and spins the gen just fine - at all in - no shims - tightest possible scenario. Its just super slack in my opinion. I want to spin the motor off the tension of the belt, not jab through the hole and bung up my tin. Like every T3 Ive ever owned.

Keep in mind that if you run the belt too tight that you chance damaging the generator bearings. It's not really meant to run with the belt tight as it's only running the generator, not a gen and fan like on a bug, bus, or Ghia.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Keep in mind that if you run the belt too tight that you chance damaging the generator bearings. It's not really meant to run with the belt tight as it's only running the generator, not a gen and fan like on a bug, bus, or Ghia.

Way ahead of you brother. Wink Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
notchboy wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Way ahead of you brother. Wink Cool

Just a friendly reminder is all. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

Sold - moving onto the Ghia Project Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Did you get what you wanted? I liked this thread so much to compare with my poor sibling 64 notch.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Did you get what you wanted? I liked this thread so much to compare with my poor sibling 64 notch.

Yeah it was fair. I didn't push it and wanted a quick sale. If anyone thinks selling a decent/nice car right now will be hindered by the economy, well it sure aint affecting nice notchback sales. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
jparee1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Ossipon wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Yeah it was fair. I didn't push it and wanted a quick sale. If anyone thinks selling a decent/nice car right now will be hindered by the economy, well it sure aint affecting nice notchback sales. Laughing

Hey Notchboy, reaching out in the hopes you may be able to provide some insight into this particular Notchback. I’m actually now the proud owner of this vehicle. I live in Florida, so I had to have it transported which went really smooth. I just managed to complete the registration process and on the way home it died on me.. pretty sure it’s the battery. Also, it’s leaking quite a a bit of oil. I read through this thread in the hopes of getting a better understanding of what work was done to either restore and/or improve the vehicle but still looking for some additional feedback. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1964 1500S Notchback Reply with quote

Battery drain has always been an issue. Even with the clock out. Whoever restored the car in Germany cut corners at the end like they ran out of time, money & patience. The main wire loom is cut where it enters the car by the fuse block. I suspect that to be the main culprit of power suckage. I tore the motor down to the short block and cleaned up a multitude of sins but never did a full rebuild which it needs. It has sat for 8 to 10 years not being driven much if not at all, so all the brake soft lines may be swelled. Double check that with the guy you bought from. He may have changed them.

I would put a new loom in and rebuild a nice single port 1600 for it. Otherwise it's a super solid car. The resto done in Germany was great on body, metal and rust. Pretty much shit for everything else. The fact that you have a nice original interior put you way ahead of many others.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Jump to:
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: