Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine is loud on highway...not exhaust
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Engine is loud on highway...not exhaust Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I took my 72 Karmann Ghia to a very well respected and trusted VW mechanic to do a general tune up, and fix exhaust leaks.....my car has him stumped.
On the highway the car is VERY loud, so much so that two adults in the car almost need to yell to have a conversation. I was under the assumption that something was wrong with the exhaust system, which was causing the noise.
Well ha called me today to say that in general the exhaust is fine (well one heater box is bad), and that the noise is not exhaust related in his opinion. He noted that there is a good amount of vibration emanating from the engine that is being transmitted to the transmission. He thinks that it is almost "like bad bearings" in the engine. He noted that it is very strange since the engine runs perfectly fine. He indicated that if you put your hand on the trans with the engine running, you can actually feel the vibration. He is truly stumped, which is shocking since he has been repairing air cooled VW's ONLY for the past 50 years. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can check, or have him check? I would hate to have my engine torn down for no good reason, if it might be something else.

Thanks,
Zack
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it correlate to engine speed, and not just road speed?

I presume so, since he'd be a real superman if he had his hand on the tranny while you drive on the highway...

So assuming he replicated the noise on the lift, he would be in a position to evaluate the exhaust system properly. Did you listen while it was on the lift? Are you sure that's the same noise you hear on the road?

I'd resort to a stethoscope while on the lift and listen whether it comes from the tranny or engine.

How does the clutch feel?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something hard attached to the engine/trans is contacting part of the body or frame.,
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the trans mounts - if they are the solid type they will transmit a lot of sound into the car. Been there - done that. I'll never have solid mounts on a street car again.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we don't have a like button on this site, I will just give a like to the solid mounts comment.

Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok a bit of an update...
The mechanic called me this evening and said the mounts "are stiffer than he would like, but they still have a little flexibility left in them". He didn't notice any part of the body making contact with the engine or trans.
I can't imagine that someone put any type of performance mount in my car, so I assume that they are either original or a stock replacement. I have owned the car since 1992 and I know in my ownership period they have never been changed.
So I will buy new mounts at this point. So what is the best style/brand of mount to buy? I think I need three mounts, correct? One for the front, and two for the back? What about engine mounts? I also noticed on Jbugs (http://www.jbugs.com/category/1972-vw-karmann-ghia-transmission-mounts.html) they have a trans front and rear support bracket kit. Would that be needed? They also sell urethane mounts, are they the best?

Thanks,
Zack
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urethane is too stiff, and may be the cause of your problem. There was a fad to replace all rubber with urethane, but on a street machine it is TOO stiff, just like yours. You may not have replaced them but a PO may have. Or your stock rubber mounts may have hardened or flattened with age. Lots of labor (engine and tranny come out). While it's all out take care of any cables, brake hoses, seals and other stuff under there while you are at it, and you won't have to visit there for many years.

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Urethane is too stiff, and may be the cause of your problem. There was a fad to replace all rubber with urethane, and on a street machine it is TOO stiff, just like yours. You may not have replaced them but a PO may have. Or your stock rubber mounts may have hardened or flattened with age. Lots of labor (engine and tranny come out. While it'a all out take care of any cables, brake hoses, seals and other stuff under there while you are at it, and you won't have to visit there for many years.

I agree with the urethane comment. I installed them when the 2110 went in - when I put the Rancho trans in I got all three mounts from aircooled.net. The urethane mounts are just a bitch to work with and don't seem to hold the motor at the right angle - it just looked 'off' to my eye - one side was slightly higher than the other. They did work for about 3k miles. I'll never buy those again! They also transmit more noise from the engine and transaxle to the interior of the car.

I replaced them with the ones in the links:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Transmission-Mount-49-72-Type-1-50-67-Type-2-p/113-301-263oe.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Transmission-Mount-1966-72-Type-1-311-301-265C-p/311-301-265c.htm

They fit right without messing with them. If you need extra support the steel mounts would be the easiest way to hold down that high HP but they transmit a lot of noise into the car. I bought a baja bug many years ago that had a 40hp motor and solid mounts - that was a noisy critter! Didn't help that someone pulled the three cornered pillows out of both sides of the body channel.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my urathanes are fine, and quiet too. as are the padded trans strap's. find the sorce of the noise. even a steel fuel line contacting the body will do it. check it all then put a main shaft bearing in it. Wink
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully your guy has also pulled the generator belt off- I've had bad generator bearings so noisy I thought for sure my aftermarket trans gears were the culprit! When I swapped the engine into my daily with vw gears and could still hear the noise I new it had to be else where.
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I talked to my mechanic again today, and he is still totally stumped as to the problem. I actually find my car annoying to drive at this point, as it is so loud. He does not want to "throw parts at my car", but he also can't figure it out. I don;t know what to do, I have been thinking of getting a second opinion...but my mechanic is regarded as one of the best in the area. We discussed the trans mounts again, but he is not totally sure they will solve the problem. Does anyone have any other ideas to check? I will have him look into the generator idea.

Thanks,
Zack
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you please post a video-that may help us make suggestions for you.

You are going to have to do some investigative work yourself. An easy way to check for an exhaust leak is take a shop vac and reverse it so it blows air. Put that in the muffler with a rag and then spray all joints with a soap/water mixture. If there is an air leak it will bubble.

Did you get underneath and check the tranny mounts?

Did you check the body to chasis pads?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=body+pad
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Can you please post a video-that may help us make suggestions for you.

You are going to have to do some investigative work yourself. An easy way to check for an exhaust leak is take a shop vac and reverse it so it blows air. Put that in the muffler with a rag and then spray all joints with a soap/water mixture. If there is an air leak it will bubble.

Did you get underneath and check the tranny mounts?

Did you check the body to chasis pads?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=body+pad

I will try to take a video on the highway. It might not be easy to pick up the sound but I will hope for the best. Body to chassis pad? Could be interesting! The only issue there might be actually changing them. The idiot who did the rust repair on my car welded the rockers to the pan. Does the entire Pan neeeed to be separated to change the pads?
71busguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look in the fan (engine off!!!!) to see if anything made its way into the fan, I had an exhaust gasket get into mine..... dont ask me how..... it made some strange noises and vibrations on the highway
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like one of the guys said body to chassis rubber pads should be checked.

BUT-- my brother had a Ghia and a similar problem, it was a tranny bearing.

The tranny worked fine, he never removed it, and lived with it.

His solution was to increase the volume on the radio. Never fixed it and sold the car.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get it up on stands, start it and try pushing/pulling/prying the pully tin around. look to see if the pully is falling off Shocked feal around on things, use a stethascope on the bell housing,find where it is coming from.we are not there and can only give sugestions. remember harmonics cause sounds to come from many places and also cause other things to vibrate from harmonics. does it make the noise in gear?with clutch pushed in in gear?clutch out ? my bug has no padding/insulation/tar bord.urathane mounted with padded trans strap kit.it is quieter than most cars Ive been in quieter than most stock ones Shocked unless Im standing on the throttell. just keep checken.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: if the mounts have never been replaced during your ownership, get them replaced. Replace the trans mounts with good quality stock style mounts - they're cheap.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-301-263-2

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-211-301-265-1

Second: As for the clutch, I have had excellent results sourcing from here -

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/vw_type_1.htm

$93.00 & Free UPS shipping

bnc
71busguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you ever figure it out?
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71busguy wrote:

No...
I put this on the back burner, but I did have the car out today.
The noise on the highway is ridiculous, especially at 70 or above. I did pay close attention today, and I noticed a few things that I think point to an issue with the transmission.
1. When the car is at idle if you push the clutch in, the car is most definitely quieter. It is hard to explain the difference, but it is noticeable.
2. When on the highway if you simply push in the clutch (and let off gas) the noise seems to go away.
I talked to another "VW expert" today who claims he can figure it out in seconds. Yup he seemed a bit boastful.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack1978 wrote:
71busguy wrote:

No...
I put this on the back burner, but I did have the car out today.
The noise on the highway is ridiculous, especially at 70 or above. I did pay close attention today, and I noticed a few things that I think point to an issue with the transmission.
1. When the car is at idle if you push the clutch in, the car is most definitely quieter. It is hard to explain the difference, but it is noticeable.
2. When on the highway if you simply push in the clutch (and let off gas) the noise seems to go away.
I talked to another "VW expert" today who claims he can figure it out in seconds. Yup he seemed a bit boastful.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack

If you push the clutch in and it makes MORE noise, the most offen culprit is throw out bearing or other clutch/pilot bearing issues. Pedal pushed=tension at the clutch pressure plate

If you push the clutch in and it makes LESS noise, it's usually an internal trans bearing. Applying the clutch removes the engine load from the trans input shaft. Most common trans bearing to go bad is the main shaft bearing, followed by the pinion bearing, various needle bearings, etc. check your oil level AND condition. You may also have an axle issue-noisy cv joints, diff support bearings, worn out/damaged axle paddles, trashed fulcrum plates..... My guess is trans related for sure, if everything else is good.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: