Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake light switch
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Brake light switch Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
The brake lights have stopped working on my 72 coupe, and for safety sake I need to fix the lights. It would seem that the culprit could be the brake light switch. Do the switches fail often, or are they generally a never fail item? The switch is screwed into the master cyl, correct? Can I swap the switch without bleeding the brake system?
Also it seems that there are two and three prong switches, which switch will my car most likely have?

Thanks,
Zack
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good quality ones last just about forever, low quality ones you should buy a few dozen of....

Depends how much your VW is stock or screwed up by who knows how many DPOs. Turn steering to full right and take a peek at the MC inside of the left tire to sort it out.
butlern
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will have the 3-prong.

Easy to swap without bleeding, but you have to be ready to pull the old and thread in the new quickly/immediately, or you will lose fluid. Make sure you have rags and gloves to protect you and the pan.

Previous comment about quality is spot on. I have had several new in the box that were bad (Chinese/Brazilian), so try to get your hand on a real Hella units.

Replace both. They are relatively inexpensive.

Good luck!

Noah
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I had a chance to look under my car today at the master cylinder. It seems that my problem is as simple as the wires fell off the brake light switch.
But here is the question: I have a three prong switch, but it seems that only two wires were actually connected. On the harness there are three wires, but one of the three is cut very short with no spade connector on it. The other two wires have spade connectors attached, so they appear easy to reattach. Can the system work with only two wires attached (kinda of a rhetorical question, because I assume it did work with only two wires)? What is the third wire for? Also is there a correct and incorrect way to hook up the two wires? Do I just try it both ways until the lights work?
Also in another post it mentions two brake light switches? Are there really two?

Thanks,
Zack
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock for all post-1966 VWs should have two senders. You need all three wires on each brake sender so the brake failure warning light will work when, not if, you have the front or rear brake circuit fail.

Learn how to solder and heat shrink a new brass terminal and a little bit of new wire to get that last connection working. Find the second sender, or if you have one or two hose connections between the brake fluid reservoir and MC.
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Stock for all post-1966 VWs should have two senders. You need all three wires on each brake sender so the brake failure warning light will work when, not if, you have the front or rear brake circuit fail.

Learn how to solder and heat shrink a new brass terminal and a little bit of new wire to get that last connection working. Find the second sender, or if you have one or two hose connections between the brake fluid reservoir and MC.

So where might I find the second brake light switch? From what I can quickly see is that there is one on the master.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some (cheaper) replacement M/C's only have provision for one switch. It's likely a PO opted to go the cheap route, and
cut off the wire going to the warning light, since it would then be nonfunctional. There should be the remains of the second
set of wires going to the missing second switch somewhere down there, but who knows what the PO did. If you ever need to
replace your current switch, a 2-prong switch would be more appropriate.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch Reply with quote

Ok so I played with the wires today, and nothing worked. There are three wires from harness. At first I thought that only two wires were connected, but perhaps all three were since I found a broken spade connector just below the master. I also can't find where a second brake switch would be?
The wiring diagram is not much help, since it does not show which prong each wire should go on. Can the brakes work with only two wires connected to a three prong switch?

Thanks,
Zack
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch Reply with quote

The second stock switch would be on the M/C. The Gallery on this site is full of photos of M/C's with two switches, and there are thousands more
on Google image search. Like I said, your M/C appears to have only one. The connection diagram for the brake light switches is in the Brakes and Wheels
chapter of your Bentley service manual. Since the red wire to the warning light is useless with only one switch, you have only two wires to contend with.
And yes, the brake lights will work. That's assuming the switch itself is still working, but cheap brake light switches are notorious for failing early, and the PO sounds
like the sort of chap who would cheap out anywhere he could.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch Reply with quote

This should help you on the wiring:

http://www.speedyjim.net/schem/3brake.gif

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch Reply with quote

New Question... I have a '70 with the dual, three-prong switches, and no brake lights. To test the switch I jumped the terminals on one of the switch connectors and the lights lit up. If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, either switch should energize the lights, so I have two bad switches, correct?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch Reply with quote

akear wrote:
New Question... I have a '70 with the dual, three-prong switches, and no brake lights. To test the switch I jumped the terminals on one of the switch connectors and the lights lit up. If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, either switch should energize the lights, so I have two bad switches, correct?

Correct.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch Reply with quote

akear wrote:

Now would be a good time to consider adding this pedal brake light switch. I got one a few months ago and feel a lot safer with it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2140061
jbassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light switch Reply with quote

I also installed Keith`s electric brake light switch, and it works great.
After having direct replacement Hella switches fail after 3 years, I needed something more reliable.

This is not a paid endorsement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: