Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LED Headlights
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zylinderkopf wrote:

That took care of it, but the seller should really come up with a better solution than that little piece of foam.

I took it for a test drive at night and was shocked at how bright these lights are! (see picture) I kept waiting for an oncoming car to flash their high beams at me (but no one did). I made some adjustments to make sure the lights were not pointing up or over too far.

Definitely very effective lights.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you for your feedback,

We currently are working on a better solution than using the foam.
We found if we sell one size lens, it fits VW headlight buckets pretty okay, however its "too large" for GM & Ford vintage vehicles.
Then we also get into the issue with people using beat up headlight buckets, but that's a whole other topic. Rolling Eyes

Its quite odd since the same sealed beams that fit VW's were literally used in every other car during the same time period.

We should have a much better solution avl. in about two weeks, we are working on 3D printed plastic "clips" that snap onto the glass locating steps to take up any gap depending on the headlight bucket used.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
capcity181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I just installed the Vintage Car LED headlights.

What a difference!

Night and Day.
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

capcity181 wrote:
I just installed the Vintage Car LED headlights.

What a difference!

Night and Day.

Thank you for your feedback!

Glad you like them! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagecarleds wrote:
oasis wrote:
I have Hella H4 headlights on Thing now, but I will keep this thread noted for future reference. Very nice! Thanks.

We offer just the LED bulbs for sale too, that you could install in your H4 Hella lenses.

How much are just the bulbs?
ZachL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I need these for my Bay Window! Thanks so much to you guys who posted up the pics and thorough reviews. Price isn't bad either!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Just installed them on my 73 and 74 what a difference. I can see now. We don't drive them a lot in the dark but sometimes the cruise nights we leave early now we can stay and have more fun. Very easy to install. Had them in in about an hour and a half.
GB
obesepolice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

just put these on my car and man what a difference.
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

On CBS news last night they had a story about headlights. I found it somewhat interesting since i have changed over to LED on my Thing.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/insurance-institute-of...eadlights/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Some people asked in the thread. I inquired about price of the LEDs for the H4 housings.

"You must have a 12volt electric system.

VC2500 style bulbs $65 + $5 shipping
VC2800 style bulbs $85 + $5 shipping
VC3000 style bulbs $105 Free shipping"

I got this after emailing the address on their "contact" section. Super-fast replies too.
My Old 70 Squareback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Beat me to it...
I too inquired about just the bulb kit, as I already have H4 headlights...

My order is placed and I'm waiting to be amazed!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

I received my bulbs last year, but only had the chance to drive the car once at night before I put it in Winter storage.

My Thing has the LED bulbs installed in Hella H4 reflectors; the ones with the flat face.
I still haven't made up my mind whether I like them more than the regular H4 bulbs. The LED's are definitely brighter, but the cut off pattern is not as sharp.

Just one more month, and I'll have my Thing back in the garage. Can't wait for some decent weather.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
I too inquired about just the bulb kit, as I already have H4 headlights...My order is placed and I'm waiting to be amazed!

Me three. I may take pics of H4 (100/80) to compare to LEDs when they come in. I wish I had thought about taking pics with original headlights for a three-way comparison.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

Ok, I AM very much amazed at these bulbs! I've had them on for a few weeks now(forgot to post here sooner!), and these things are awesome!!
I need to align my reflectors again, as I have them turned slightly up to compensate for poor output with the H4 bulbs.....
I've been bright lighted a couple times with these on, an I'm sure it's due to the alignment......

Quick service, great product, great communications!

Great job y'all!! Once I figure out what housings I'm using on the V-Rod, I'll be ordering another set!!

Highly Recommend!!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

GI Joe wrote:
Ok, I AM very much amazed at these bulbs! I've had them on for a few weeks now(forgot to post here sooner!), and these things are awesome!!
I need to align my reflectors again, as I have them turned slightly up to compensate for poor output with the H4 bulbs.....
I've been bright lighted a couple times with these on, an I'm sure it's due to the alignment......

Quick service, great product, great communications!

Great job y'all!! Once I figure out what housings I'm using on the V-Rod, I'll be ordering another set!!

Highly Recommend!!

Thanks guys, your support means a lot to us here!
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

We were able to use ours on both the 73 and 74 last Fri coming home from a car show. My Son was driving the 73 behind us and my Wife was saying how Bright the lights were. He came up beside us and I asked if he had them on high beam and he looked down and said yes. Dimmed them and we drove home and were never flashed. !00% better than the stock lights. I love them.
Thanks, GB
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

We have had so much rain lately, that the few nice days were followed by retreats back to storage. I really would like pics with my current H4 headlights before my LEDs are put in, but LEDs will go in when my windshield is put together and painted. Just looking at the pics of others, I can't wait.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
We have had so much rain lately, that the few nice days were followed by retreats back to storage. I really would like pics with my current H4 headlights before my LEDs are put in, but LEDs will go in when my windshield is put together and painted. Just looking at the pics of others, I can't wait.

Never took the pics with the H4 headlights -- a pain when your phone doesn't talk to your computer anymore -- but replacing the H4s into my Hella units with LEDs was a great success. Cool
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

well, there is 2 ways I can look at the resopnces.....1 the leds are great to go with, and 2 all the spelling and grammer police have died/retired Shocked thansk for the fast replyes!!! Wink
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: LED Headlights Reply with quote

How do you install the dust boot to the LED bulb-does the fan screw off/on so you can add it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: