Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Convertible Door Seal Curiousity
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeVertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: 1967 Convertible Door Seal Curiousity Reply with quote

I just replaced the door seals on my 1967 convertible with German seals from WW. Happy to say that my doors now shut like they should.. . expensive but awesome ! The seals I replaced were Brazilian or who knows from where, but were too thick and had been trimmed by the previous owner to get the doors to shut.

Well, that said, there is a 6 inch portion of the seal at the latch area that is big and "flappy" and protrudes from the door seam just below the handle when the door is shut. My curious question is why is the seal made this way? and does it make any sense to trim it flush with the body or leave it? It protrudes about 3/8 to 1/2 inch from the door seam and is unsightly.

It is worth mentioning that when closed the space between the door and the body on my 67 is very narrow (much closer than my 65) exacerbating the phenomenon. I've seen dozens of pictures of converts on line and do not see the door seal protruding. Thoughts, knowledge or experiences appreciated. regards.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible Door Seal Curiousity Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having the same problem. I got seals from WCM, and the entire flappy part seems to be about 6" long. Did they send me the wrong seals? I've taken it in and out a couple if times, and pushed it in as far as can go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible Door Seal Curiousity Reply with quote

What is the difference between convertible and sedan door seals - perhaps that is the problem?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible Door Seal Curiousity Reply with quote

Have you contacted WCM?
"Sometimes new babies are born dead"
Im certain they'll make it right.
Difference between the 2 formentioned sedan and kabriolet is quite obvious.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible Door Seal Curiousity Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Have you contacted WCM?

Waiting to hear back. Have others experienced this issue?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Convertible Door Seal Curiousity Reply with quote

They all are supposed to have the flap. It protects the door latch mechanism. Why yours protrudes so much, I don't know. I have German seals on my '67 and they don't stick out of the jamb.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: