Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whatcha Cruising Speeds in 70 MPH Zones?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Whatcha Cruising Speeds in 70 MPH Zones? Reply with quote

Yea, also RPMs is the Big Question and How Long?

Like to hear some comparisons, oh CHTemps. & Oil Temps as well... RB
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2400rpm but I got tall gears and tires oil temps 190, head temps 350, oil pressure 45psi. Half hour at a shot, race gas is spendy.........

brad
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

September, I can cruise all day..... btw, the oil temp gauge reads 40* high so it's actually 190*

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3200/70- 4000/80mph and I have held it there for almost four hours. PSI is 45ish, no temp senders. Stock gearing (unknown ratio) and tall tires.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4k rpm @ 80mph
31" tires 5.375 R&P stock '68 002

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in 70 zone I usualy stay around 70~75. as for rpm whoo knows what rpm. std 4:12 gearbox. small tires , around 27.5" tall. as for how long...untill the speed changes.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

275/60-15 rear tires
4.12 R/P stock 67 S/A Trans.
3100 rpm at 70 mph
Oil pressure at 35 psi.

Will run that way all day long. Have done it for 100 miles and driven at 60-65 for a couple hours at a time on our 900 mile, four day cruise.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest left lane cruiser I was involved with:

148 hp 2054 type 1 in a 1963 Beetle. Convertible deck lid. 4,125 R/P. 0,89 4rth. 205/60 x 15 rears. 3510 rpm @ 70 mph (112 km/H)
Will sit at approx 80 degrees C oil temp all day, also at 30 degrees C ambient. Have not tried it in warmer ambient.

T
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 8 mph above the posted speed limit for me. 1835cc engine, stock clutch, transmission, and 14-inch Buddy Hale mag wheels from the 1970s.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
About 8 mph above the posted speed limit for me.
IOW, you're going 83mph!
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.12 w/ .82 4th
25 inch tall tire
70 mph at 3200 all day long.
no temp gauges, but a save-my-bug dipstick and it never has come on at that speed on flats or hills. Ive driven over 400 miles at a time at roughly 70mph never an issue.

motor is a mild 2180 that puts out 130hp @ 5100 and 145 ftlbls @ 3900 to the wheels.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow down to 65 and enjoy the beautiful land and scenery of this great Nation. Stop being in such a damn hurry and take the time to smell the roses.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Slow down to 65 and enjoy the beautiful land and scenery of this great Nation. Stop being in such a damn hurry and take the time to smell the roses.

Been there, done that Very Happy
Kiptere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 is my hi way speed no matter what the speed limit is.
70 Bug Vert
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on my trip to St. Louis and back, stock tires stock trans oil temps 170~180 rpm um 3200. All day long, day after day. No issues very little interstate, the two laners are so much easier to drive. The nice thing about the two laners is Dairy Queen is just ahead on the right and don't have to exit the inerstate.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd drive my busses 4000rpm from here to Sacramento (650 miles each way), or here to Vegas (450 miles each way). Bugs usually end up around 3600-3700rpm for the extended drives out of state. My stock, never rebuilt 40 horse from my 63 went from here to Sacramento on Memorial day, floored, pushing 75mph + the whole drive.

These things like some RPM when going down the highway.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2110 cpr engine w/ 59k miles, 3.88 w/0.89 fourth gear, 195/65/15, 3200 at 70mph, cht in 90+degree temp runs about 290-320, oil pressure 45psi, oil temp 195-200, no external cooler just factory doghouse, and 1.5 qt sump. greesboro nc to charleston sc 5 hours one way for vw drag night in july! have made that trip 5 times, put about 700 mile on the car in one week end everytime Shocked

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After top-end rebuild, I cruise 70-80 depending on traffic. 1600SP, stock other than doghouse cooling, dual carbs, and header.

~350 degree CHT indicated, ~220 degrees oil temp indicated, 3,600 RPM with 185/65 tires, ~30-32 PSI oil pressure indicated. 80-100 degrees ambient temp. This is with decklid stand-offs installed which I just took off for winter season. I have no data with a closed engine lid yet.

vwracerdave wrote:

That philosophy around here will get you ran right off of the road, unfortunately. Sad Before my rebuild, we had to stop and write SLOW on the back window with yellow electrical tape to get bastards off of my ass climbing the Pacheco Pass. It was scary. We were doing 60.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xBigDx408x wrote:
After top-end rebuild, I cruise 70-80 depending on traffic. 1600SP, stock other than doghouse cooling, dual carbs, and header.

~350 degree CHT indicated, ~220 degrees oil temp indicated, 3,600 RPM with 185/65 tires, ~30-32 PSI oil pressure indicated. 80-100 degrees ambient temp. This is with decklid stand-offs installed which I just took off for winter season. I have no data with a closed engine lid yet.

vwracerdave wrote:

That philosophy around here will get you ran right off of the road, unfortunately. Sad Before my rebuild, we had to stop and write SLOW on the back window with yellow electrical tape to get bastards off of my ass climbing the Pacheco Pass. It was scary. We were doing 60.

if you got the dog house cooler in an unvented decklid car, you would be best to leave it propped open even in the winter (if water is an issue, prop open the bottom rather than the top.

even in cold air condition like at winter, if you have a closed non-vented deck lid you may not need the extra cooling air to maintain cool engine temps cause of the winter weather, BUT that big doghouse fan will still try to draw in a lot of air at freeway speeds, and that will cause the motor to be starved of air for the carburetor!!! at freeway speeds (I notice the problem at about 70 mph and up for my stock geared 61 bug) the enginer pms are high enough so that the large dog house fan pulls a vacuum in the engine bay, with the engine at high speed, under load on the freeway, the carb will start to run rich as the air pressure in the engine bay is so low from the competing for air fan.

I found my Bug to loose power at the high speeds, until I propped open the deck lid at the bottom a small amount, then my power at speed was restored,

The deck lid venting is required not only for temp control, but also mixture control. this is important when installing a large fanned dog house motor in the solid deck lid cars. the effect is only noticeable at high freeway speeds under load.

so keep that deck lid propped open a bit even in the winter to ensure enough combustion air going thru the carb. that big fan will pull a considerable vacuum in the engine bay of a unvented deck lid car.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
TheAmazingDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 71 Super with the stock twin vent decklid. Before the top-end refresh, my engine had a lot of problems, and was overheating easily. Thus the stand-offs.

TBH, I don't need them in the summer heat anymore, but I left them on since they were already installed after I put my engine back in. The engine was running over cool in town, it was only reaching "normal" temps on the freeway.

Went for my first drive with the stand-offs removed night before last, and after a 20 minute around town drive in 65 degree weather, I actually reached a normal temp. Anxious to see what it does on a long drive. Perhaps this weekend...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: