Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Big beef linkage
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Big beef linkage Reply with quote

Looking for a better linkage for my 51 EPCs. They sit on CB Bigbeef (TALL) manifolds and I run an alternator and CB breather box on the stand. I ungraded the rod ends but the cross bar sucks. Anyone run a center pull linkage with this combo?

brad
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BERG

It's worked for 30 years, 4 engines and 3 different carbs.

IDAs
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dells
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my std hexx empi cross bar works fine with my 44's & big beef's
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont not like the HEX bar linkage either. I think it looks crap along with the berg and any other that obstructs the view of the fan shroud.
I have scat center pull with 44's on big beefs, not 51's though.
It took a few shims to get the right-side bar under the alternator, but it works fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one that thinks bolting the linkage to the fan shroud (sheet metal) is a good idea has drank way too much berg tea. How many coils have you seen break off the shroud? Now it is a good idea to bolt a piece of angle iron from some rednecks garage to the shroud? Rolling Eyes

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Gene Berg Fanshroud mount linkage :http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_230_2837&products_id=825,

And the CB PErformance Hexbar linkage:
http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6480

And the CSP Bellcrank linkage:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31%2D129%2D941%2D110

I didn't like the Hexbar system at all. Seemed like a sloppy bearing system for the arm. Also the CB Performance air cleaners will NOT accept a genuine K&N air filter.

I wasn't that impressed with the Berg geometry either. Any vibration of the fan housing is going to vibrate the linkage rods.

The CSP bellcrank linkage seemed to be the lesser of the evils, so that's the one I used. It's main flaw is that the carbs may not be synced well when the engine is cold.

However, I did have quality issues as the ball ends were NOT properly staked onto the carb linkage arms. I returned them a couple of times before I finally had them ship me a pair of threaded ball ends that I bolted to the carb arms and clearanced the threaded ends that extended beyond the nuts.

I also needed to install the CB Performance "Weblink Conversion Kit": http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=6455

That had to be modified to fit. Here are the modification that I made:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=295815&highlight=weblink

I do need to add one more photo showing some additional clearancing that I needed to make to the Weblink arm.

So far it seems to be performing well.

However, I'd really like to see someone with 3-D CAD software do an analysis to see how well the the carbs are synced throughout the range.

Scott Novak
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ater installing the CSP bellcrank linkage on an engine with IDF's and an engine with IDA's I will never use any of that hex bar crap again. The 2276 in my Ghia has the CSP linkage with IDA's on Bugpack manifolds without any clearance issues.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Linkage Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Any one that thinks bolting the linkage to the fan shroud (sheet metal) is a good idea has drank way too much berg tea. How many coils have you seen break off the shroud? Now it is a good idea to bolt a piece of angle iron from some rednecks garage to the shroud? Rolling Eyes

X2 on that one!! Perfectly said. Not saying Berg linkage doesn't work, I just prefer a solid foundation like CB Linkage bolted solidly to Carb bases and rolling on Bruces Ball bearing kit. Silky Smooth and solid.

Jeff
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Linkage Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

X2 on that one!! Perfectly said. Not saying Berg linkage doesn't work, I just prefer a solid foundation like CB Linkage bolted solidly to Carb bases and rolling on Bruces Ball bearing kit. Silky Smooth and solid.

Jeff

And the engine doesn't get wider when it gets hot.

Over 350,000 miles with the Berg and never a problem or need to adjust. Also never had a coil come off, but then I only use OEM shrouds.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Linkage Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
jpaull wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Jeff

And the engine doesn't get wider when it gets hot

Yes true, that's why its nice that the CB linkage even with Bruce's ball bearing setup allow for expansion/contraction
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
my std hexx empi cross bar works fine with my 44's & big beef's

I have used their linkage on 4 other sets of IDFs, but they must be making their new crossbars out of recycled beer cans without cleaning them first. The bar is very flexible

Thanks for all the input guys appreciate it.

brad
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you have aluminum crossbar? Mine came with steel crossbar and ordered for big beef manifolds. That thing is really strong. I do remember the aluminum ones in the old kits through.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: