Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rmh60bug Volksrod Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

The volksrod has been on hold. Adding on to the barn. Original part was built in 1840, will be so much nicer. More room to work ! Making it look like a old carriage house.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Garage is done ! Got bumper and headlight mounts welded up.

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1556992.jpg[/img

Then I tried my hand at emblem building. Old valve wheel and square stock. Made a Volksrodish emblem. I like it !

Going to run Dietz style headlights, 39 Chevy tail lights on front & back. They have a nice "slug" look to them. Will fit the lines of bug I think. More to come sound deadening, wiring, interior the list is long. Slow & Steady
Slow & Steady is the key
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Time for lights. Going with Dietz 7" headlights, thought of using 34 Ford Commercial. Just decided they are too big ( bug eyed sprite-ish )

Been super stressed over tail lights and turn signals !!! I have looked at so many over this past year. Make my own, repurpose, motorcycle so many options. Am leaning toward these, 39 Chevy tail lights. Can get them with amber lens for the front. I like the curve and shape, think they will "flow" with the bug shape. Also have a large mount area for building brackets.

Any and all input is welcome ! Thanks for this website, been a huge help !
Slow & Steady is the key
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Tail lights are awesome-good choice.Where will you mount them?Your front bumper is well thought out-I really like it.
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

I plan on making pedestal style mounts. Like on a 30's Ford Truck. Back mounts will be on the "inner" fender well toward the top/back. The fronts same mounts off the headlight brackets. Keep them the same.
I mocked that bumper up and looked at it forever before welding it together. On the ends of the bull bar on one side will be a old yellow fog light, other side not sure yet.
Slow & Steady is the key
nbturbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Was thinking with the front bumper- I could weld some ends in the round top tube with nuts inside, and mount some spot lights sideways to it.
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

That's the plan ! The ends are capped with heavy washers. Hoping to mount a old round amber fog light to the drivers side of bar.
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Got some garage time in today. Took advantage of the nice weather. Been putting this off, hate body work ! Figured the relief cuts would look like garbage. Pleased with how it came out. First ones are some before & after pics.

Slow & Steady. Let this dry and get work on some sound deadening & insulation. Then get to work on wiring the old girl
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Getting the weather critical stuff done. Won't have the garage insulated by this winter. Figure I can run wire, mount lights & finish the interior when it's cold & snowy.
Working on some sound & heat insulation. After reading so many articles, forums, reviews on dynamat, gmat, hushmat, peel & seel, frost king. The "real" stuff is just to dang expensive, peel & seel I have used on roofs ( works great ). I went with Frost King duct insulation. So far it's going on nicely. Lays flat, follows contours, cuts easy with utility knife. I am taping the seems, just to help it lay better.
When you knock on the metal, bare vs frost king, you can hear & feel the difference. Honestly i think it will be better than nothing !

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Took advantage of a rainy day here in northeastern PA. Got the base layer of sound/heat insulation done. It does work, tap the metal and no empty tin can sound !

This may not seem like a big deal to some, but the brakes are done ! I borrowed a vacuum bleeder from the local hot rod guru. First time I have ever bled a brand new complete system. No fluid all new lines & components. The best part, THEY WORK !

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Got the trunk area painted ready for wiring. Want a nice clean looking interior, wiring & mechanicals. I know, I know it's a volksrod.... But I am leaving the outside crusty !

Plus a new shop dog ! We lost our lab Penny of 14 years 8 months ago. We decided to share the love with a new pup, Willow. She already approves of the volksrod !

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Working on getting the e-brake put back in the car ( PA Laws ). Made a raised mount for the handle. Will weld the angle on to the tunnel, bolt the mount to angle. May use the stamped metal from old mount or make up something a little cleaner. Made it the same height as shifter box. It's roughed in, fits with the seats installed !
Plan on making new tubes for cables running even with shift rod down the tunnel. Tubes will go out thru old shift rod hole then angle over to original spots.

Not sure why but it looks lopsided in pic ! But it is straight.
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Got the new tubes roughed in for ebrake. Used 1/2 thin wall tubing and a 45 degree weldbend. Have some tweaking to do on the bends before I weld up the mounting tabs. May have to lower my handle bracket just a bit, have a inch or so before it interferes with shift rod.

Not running a backseat so no issues there. Will be decking the back and covering in carpet. So far they look like it will work !

Inside for now, working on angles

Tube placement old vs new

Slow & Steady is the key
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

It's all about the details, and this build has them.
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Thanks Andy ! Worked on the ebrake tubes a little today. Going to run a "spreader bar" for cables. Then run from bar to ebrake handle with end of a old cable. Using a triangle shaped spreader so it will pull even. Wife is going to sew up vinyl boots for ebrake & shifter. Will be making a cover for shift rod from something, big rig exhuast heat shield, expanded metal grate, chain, not sure yet.
Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Mocked up the ebrake today. Haven't had to much free time been working 12's. It is coming together, just have to tweak the upsweep on tubes. Using the spreader bar plus old cable should give me the adjustment I need. Have the handle pulled up so it didn't fall over. Not permanently mounted yet, but soon !

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Got the ebrake done. Welded inserts into tunnel to bolt it all down. Got the tubes lined up, adjusted cables ....... It works !

Was worried about clearance on the shift rod. No issues cables and stand are not in the way.

Slow & Steady is the key
rmh60bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

Stuck on rear bumper ideas. Don't really want to use a baja cage style. Would rather use a old bug bumper. Not sure if coming off the rear engine mount only will be strong enough ( vibration mainly ) Really just cosmetic bumper anyways holding my license plate. PA laws say I need one !

Any input is welcome ! Can't believe this has over 7K views !
Slow & Steady is the key
HALS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: rmh60bug Volksrod Build Reply with quote

rmh60bug wrote:

Any input is welcome ! Can't believe this has over 7K views !

I do ... you're doing a great job .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: