Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackodog13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I want to heat my 99 Weekender at night. I know there is an aux heater/ furnace that runs off the extra battery and fuel line. What should I expect to pay for this installed? Are there options? Is there a plug-in heater that is worth a darn? I dont want to use the propane type. Thanks
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.propexheatsource.com/heaters/hs2000-furnace/

That's pretty much the tops right there, according to the Vanagon crowd. With install, propane tank to power it, etc, I think you're looking at around a grand all said and done:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1687640

I've been entertaining the idea of getting one of these for my personal weekender for ski bum camping this winter -- seems like it could be more versatile to own for other uses (heating the garage, etc) than a non-removable propex:

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Zodi-X-40-Hot-Vent-Tent...aQodEpgIxw
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:

I've been entertaining the idea of getting one of these for my personal weekender for ski bum camping this winter -- seems like it could be more versatile to own for other uses (heating the garage, etc) than a non-removable propex:

http://www.outdoorplay.com/Zodi-X-40-Hot-Vent-Tent...aQodEpgIxw

@DenverB, I'm curious, did you ever get one of these? I too am interested in something more portable / non-fixed.

I'm also curious if anybody has any experience with the Webasto or Eberspacher thermostatically-controlled diesel heaters (on any platform). They seem to be popular on long-haul trucks.

What I'd like is something portable, self-contained AND thermostatically controlled. The red portable diesel heater on this page interests me, but the website appears to be broken. I'm not sure how much it costs or even what model it is:
http://www.camp4ever.com/portable-air-heater

[Edit: to fix broken @DenverB quote attempt. It was bugging me. Wink ]

Last edited by IdeaNerd on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

never did. The little buddy works well enough for my needs that i'll just stick with that for now.

Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

DenverB wrote:
never did. The little buddy works well enough for my needs that i'll just stick with that for now.

So you can run that heater inside the van closed up? Or do you need to crack a window for some oxygen?
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I went the route of marrying the hottest woman I have ever met and letting her heat me up for 35 years. I do have to crack the windows as she still leaves me breathless.

Seriously, using any combustion type heater while sleeping is ill-advised in my book. We just don't maintain stuff well enough to manage the risk of getting either snuffed by O2 deprivation or CO poisoning.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
DenverB wrote:

So you can run that heater inside the van closed up? Or do you need to crack a window for some oxygen?

I agree w/@abscate re: sleeping with a combustion heater going, but @joshwa I read your question as just "Can you run this inside the van with it closed up?" while you are awake. If I'm right about that, then the answer is "You'll need to crack a window for some oxygen." The Little Buddy does have an oxygen sensor built-in, but I wouldn't fire it up without a window open. Ditto for anytime you're not generally paying attention (fave a fire extinguisher on board too, obviously).

We actually have a Little Buddy for our van as well. It works "OK," but we haven't stayed many places where it's cold enough to need a heater, so have only used it once so far. Next time we go out w/it, I'll probably pack a CO sensor as well, just to be a little more on that safer side.

One thing that drives me nuts about the Little Buddy heater, however, is that there is no way to control how much heat it is generating -- it's either on, or it's not. Apparently all the Mr. Buddy heaters work that way. I'm not sure why.

Also, if I had it to do over again (and I probably will), I go ahead and just get the full size Mr. Buddy. The review this lady put together pretty much lines up with my experience packing the Little Buddy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWTCRaBGb6M I wish I'd come across the review before I purchased.

We may end up going with a Propex at some point down the road, but am currently still leaning toward something more portable and versatile. The search continues.

Meanwhile, @abscate, I think your van heating plan is certainly sufficient for most California excursions. Wink
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Cole & Cavevans are going to install a Webasto for me on my conversion. It was one of the hardest decisions I had to make on my conversion and was on the fence with it for a long time.

The Mr. Buddy seemed like a good idea, but with 3 kids + wife + me in the small Eurovan, I just became convinced someone would burn themselves on it. Maybe not initially, but eventually. Maybe a small burn, maybe worse. That did't seem worth it to me. And the condensation in the morning, which I hear can get back, didn't excite me either.

I thought about the Propex, but since I will have a converted MV, I would have to buy the Propex tank. That makes Propex just as expensive (if not moreso) than a Webasto or Espar unit. And it gives me a second fuel source to worry about and keep full.

So when I read up on Espar vs Webasto, it seems almost everybody that can pick between the two chooses Espar. But Webasto is the only brand with a gas version of their smallest heater size that is readily accessible. That is awesome, since I don't have to worry about fueling it up. The Espar gas version is 2x the cost and even when listed online, is often not in stock. Though if my van was diesel, I would have gone Espar. All that being said, I went Webasto.

Will let you know how it goes when I get it installed and pick up my van! Smile
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

jakefromstatefarm wrote:
Will let you know how it goes when I get it installed and pick up my van! Smile

I've been really thinking about the espar since I've already got diesel in the tank. The Diesel engine just does not supply the heat I was used to with the gas engine. So the extra heat will be welcome often. Im real curious to see where the heater ends up in your van. My thought initially would be to try and plumb the heat outlet into the heater vent behind the passenger seat if it can be done somehow.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I've installed hundreds of Eberspacher gasoline heaters. They are good units and have plenty of hardware with them. Most of them I installed were in Ford Explorers and Ford Vans because back in the early 90's my father and I had a business that outfitted these vehicles into police cars for use in Siberia. We needed block heaters, battery blankets and gasoline heaters. Since it got down to -50, we needed something that they could plug in and turn on to warm the interior in the morning. I was in Siberia many times back then and those heaters worked like a champ. For an extended length Econoline that was converted to a paddy wagon, it would take about an hour for the interior to go from -50 to around 30F. As for around 0F, it took about 30 minutes. If it was 30F outside, in no more than 15 minutes, it's way too hot when you had it on full.

As for installing, you will need to put a pickup somewhere in the tank. For the Fords, the vans had a metal tank and the explorer has a plastic. We dropped both, drilled a hole, cut the pickup to the length it needed and installed it. It uses a small piston pump and the key is to get it primed all the way to the unit before first use. The unit came with an intake muffler which did quiet it down alot. The exhaust was run parallel to the stock exhaust and extended it a bit.

It's a very well built and quality unit. I know they are not cheap but they do work. Theses things even worked on the garbage 76 octane that Russia had at the time. Plus the roads in Siberia are worse than anything here in the US. Even at that the heaters never failed.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

little buddy heater is not adjustable, the larger one is though.

I sleep with it on and a window cracked, yes. No problems here.

wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

The main drawback with the Little Buddy is that it won't work at high elevation. This is to do with it's oxygen settings. It would be nice to camp out on Vail Pass with a nice heater cranking and wake up to some fresh snow.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

^ very true.

Mine works, but just barely, in the parking lot at Mary Jane -- even then the door has to be open.

It's why I trust it to work in an enclosed space elsewhere at lower elevations, especially with a window cracked.

IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

@jakefromstatefarm: Thanks for the reply and info. I think you just save me quite a bit of research time! Looking forward to seeing how yours works out.

@DenverB: Is the Mr. Buddy fully adjustable, or just two settings? (I was thinking it was just two settings: one about the same heat output as the Little Buddy, and the other about twice that.)

@jjvincent: Your background stories never cease to amaze and amuse me. They often make me smile. Thanks for that. This: "...my father and I had a business that outfitted these vehicles into police cars for use in Siberia.." Oh yeah, that. Of course! (!) Smile

@All: Any idea what model that red self-contained diesel heater is I linked to up above? This one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

dug a little deeper this time on that portable diesel heater. A fancy case housing on a Webasto, put together by an Aussie company named Kimberly. $2000 US.

http://www.eco-camper.com/camping-heaters/2kw-portable-air-heater-c4epah.html
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks for sleuthing that out, @Joshwa!

Bummer it's so pricey. I do like the concept, though!
Jaggaxjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Petrol https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Parking-Heater...f806b8abad

Diesel https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5KW-12V-diesel-air...1aa03d9666
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I've spent some cash and picked up a used eberspacher d4wsc. It was a complete kit. Just have to hook up the power and feed it diesel to test it out. I was disappointed to find my very old and tortured liesure battery would not run it without the van running. Ill be mostly using it for warmup purposes, but it would be nice to get an hour or two of heat parked. I would need to figure out a secondary switch for the rear blower. I like the integrated fuel and water pump on the main unit on this model. There's a couple variations of the hydronic unit where the pump and water pump if used is strung elsewhere. So far I've just opened it up to check the cleanliness, which was good, and ran a bench(wall?) test to check that it was working. Runs great. Heated the water in a small loop I had set up real quickly. Just as I was congratulating myself on the working operation of my purchase, one of the poorly attached hoses blew off sending very hot water everywhere.

I have to admit that I did buy another locally prior to this one and it was a failure. Most have a control unit that allows for a simple on/off switched operation. That one, a variant of a d5w, had a proprietary ecu for a GM vehicle. So avoid units with car maker logos that do not come with wiring harnesses.

I have a good idea of where I'm going to attach and plumb it, but I won't have time to get to that for a little while. Have to also decide on putting in a fuel feed from the tank, or just tap into the diesel return to the tank line.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Jaggaxjr wrote:
Petrol https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Air-Parking-Heater...f806b8abad

Diesel https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5KW-12V-diesel-air...1aa03d9666

Wow, $409 shipped for a gas/petro fired webasto clone.

Has any tried one of these or heard of anyone trying them?
CoastieLFS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Just sharing as a poor person's option...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685759&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: