Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Some thermo calculations before chainsaw would save a lot of time and money here
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I am a fairly mild weather camper, I doubt (knock on wood) we will do much camping below freezing, maybe 25F. Either way I will probably cut a hole and plumb in a return air duct for better effeciency and reduce the risk of pulling exhaust into the cabin.

One thing I already don't like is the way the heat dumps into the rear heater box, the air blows directly on the heater core which does two things:

1) Reduces the air velocity coming out of the vent when it hits the heater core
2) Sinks heat into the heater core which is connected to the cooling system filled with cold coolant; the heater core is a heat exchanger after all and I want all the BTU's going into the cabin, not the cooling system.

I will almost definitely be either making some sort of a deflector to route the heated air to the heat vent outlet rather than just blasting right into the face of the heater core. This is something to think about for anyone else installing a heater.

Also, I got my subwoofer installed; I will probably make a post for that. Major sound improvement.

Here is a picture showing how my heater outlet blows directly into the heater core in the rear heat box, I will be modifying this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And although unrelated, a quick peak at the powered subwoofer install under the passenger seat:
motochica04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

HI. I'm also interested in installing heat in my '02 eurovan weekender. I like the write up here on the wabesto install. Looks like this was done. few years ago. Any updates on how the system is working? any issues?
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

motochica04 wrote:
HI. I'm also interested in installing heat in my '02 eurovan weekender. I like the write up here on the wabesto install. Looks like this was done. few years ago. Any updates on how the system is working? any issues?

The Webasto is amazing, we couldn't go back now that we have heat. Climbing out of bed with heat vs climbing out into the freezing cold is a total game changer.

I was a bit worried about heating capacity due to any added restriction from how I plumbed it. The way my inlet enters the heater core box, it blows directly at the heater core which dampens the air velocity and I think the heater core absorbs some of the heat too. I ended up adding a deflector (basically a 90 degree elbow made from the flex pipe that came with the heater) inside the heater box to route the air more toward the outlet vent which increased my heat flow a bit into the cabin. The air is still really hot coming out of the vent. I also draw outside air for the heater rather than recycling air, I was thinking I would need to cut a hole behind the driver seat to plumb a return air duct but it has worked well as-is for outside temps down to freezing; we haven't used it below freezing but it easily kept us warm down to that (and can overheat us if the tstat is set high enough) so I have left it as is.

The digital timer/thermostat is a must have as well, in my opinion. I bought my webasto from an eBay seller in Russia, he was helpful and threw in the digital timer for free; these timers sell for up to $200 here in USA.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Hey guys - I'm looking to put a heater into my Vanagon.

I want to stick with the single fuel source (ie I don't want to add a propane or diesel tank).

The Webasto looks like the way to go. I see they have a couple controllers for them. Can anyone explain what the real world difference is? I also see a brand new one - Smart Temp Control 2.0 https://online.flippingbook.com/view/177291/

That looks pretty cool...

I plan on using mine while driving, and camping, and after skiing - in some VERY cold temps. (think below zero F).

Things I want - to control heat while driving important, when camping at night - to have thermostat control. Would be nice to have - ability to have van warmed up before I go to get in it in the morning (timer? or programmable timer? or from my phone?) Are the more advanced controllers too finicky or difficult to actually use? SHould I stick with a simple controller? Is there a way to have a control up on the dash, and in the back?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FloAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

We are looking to install aux heater for parking. I see a lot of diesel heaters being installed in vans that run on gas. If all is the same, I would like to run the heater off of a tank outside the living area, unless there is something that makes the diesel heater a better option...Checking to see pros-cons of running a gas heater in gas fueled EV as opposed to diesel heater in gas fueled EV...Appreciate it.
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I'd say preference, convenience, and efficiency.

You might prefer to have a single tank that the heater taps into nicely. Or you might not have the skillset or desire to run a second tank and plumb/secure it properly and safely.

Diesel burns better in these things than gasoline does, so the diesel wins on efficiency. Diesel options are more plentiful and you can find cheaper ones as well if you're interested in that route.
FloAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

ocelotpotpie wrote:

Diesel burns better in these things than gasoline does, so the diesel wins on efficiency. Diesel options are more plentiful and you can find cheaper ones as well if you're interested in that route.

We run diesel heaters in remote building off the road system. They have been impressively durable and easy to maintain. I like the idea of exterior fuel storage. With a gas engine in the van, I see the simplicity of gas heater. If I find the right fuel tank system, I could see running diesel as well. Thanks for the pros-cons!
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Worth mentioning that the cheaper heaters on Amazon/etc come with a little diesel fuel tank. So you can buy a whole kit that has everything you need if you want to go that route. I haven't seen anyone post photos of an install with a super easy to access / refill tank yet.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

As reliable as my CDH has been, I feel a whole lot better that it's diesel and not gas. I wouldn't trust a cheap knock-off of a German design with a much more volatile fuel.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
FloAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

ocelotpotpie wrote:
I haven't seen anyone post photos of an install with a super easy to access / refill tank yet.

Agree, my preference is for diesel, but still working on location of a diesel tank...
alaird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

$117 on aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002003495546.html

I'm sure it's awful but I'm almost curious enough to get one to see how bad it is.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

That appears to be a similar unit to the one I installed. It's been rock solid reliable. A total game-changer when it comes to cool weather camping.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I picked up a heater last week and digging up old install threads to reference what others have done.

Instead of cutting into the rear heater I was considering removing it and 3d print a flange that would allow both hot and return air hoses to mount here. We rarely use the rear heater, and if we need extra heat we can turn on the diesel heater.

I've not gotten under the van to have a closer look at how the heater mounts up yet to see if this would work, just brainstorming at this point. Will need to look up if there is a minimum distance between intake and outtake that needs to be considered.
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I spent a lot of time trying to find 'the best' location under my van for a diesel heater. In the end I decided to mount my heater inside the van. This gives me a few pros that helped seal the deal.
1) the heater is protected inside. For these knock-off heaters the circuit boards are not weather proofed, so just one less issue to contend with.
2) the return air comes from inside the van.
3) the wiring and plumbing are very straightforward.

The major con is that I needed to drill a big hole in the floor of the van.

If you do mount underneath I would seriously consider building a box that holds the heater much like the propex earlier in this thread, with both outlet and return hoses coming from the same end. Also, you can safely mount these heaters on their side with the glow plug up. This gives you better clearance for the exhaust and combustion air inlet plumbing.

During a recent outing we woke up to snow and 28 deg F morning. As everyone who has installed one of these has said...this is a game changer! Just push a button and soon you have hot air blowing out. And my heater has a little remote that I can put up in the pop top with me to turn the heater on before I get out of bed. Pure luxury.
shirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

I don't think I am brave enough to cut a big hole in the floor of the van just yet.

Yes it would certainly go into a weather proof box when mounted under the van. I don't have any issues fabricating a box with a seal on it.

Just realized that the return air for the rear heater is from the vent in the well for the sliding door. So two adaptors would be needed in a rear heater delete.

For how little fuel these use and that we're "weekenders" I am thinking of also making a box to mount the fuel tank up under the van. Yes it will take a few minutes to drop the tank each weekend to fill it up in the spring/fall season but just part of the weekend prep.
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

That’s exactly what I did. No holes just adapted a drawer to hold everything
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

BatesEV wrote:

That’s exactly what I did. No holes just adapted a drawer to hold everything

Could we get some better details with pictures on your drawer installation please?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=776439&highlight=aux+heater

This was my post I made with some more details. The only thing is the diesel tank. I ended up running the fuel line though the heater coolant tubes for protection. The pump echos being inside the box other than that it’s quiet
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Aux heater for Eurovan Weekender Reply with quote

Anyone tried a portable unit like this one on Amazon? I believe these are designed to be left outside whatever area you are heating using a flexible duct.

https://www.amazon.com/LF-Bros-Parking-Stylish-Sui...7e17e03685

And another from Amazon, that got a great review on Youtube. Apparently a new product and already sold out temporarily.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBBMNCJQ?maas=maas_adg...merReviews
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: