Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door seal- failure!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Front door seal- failure! Reply with quote

Hey all-
I tried to install new door seals a while back, and I embarrassed to admit that I seem to have failed. The seals are coming off of both front doors at the bottom and on the hinge side. I don't know what my mistake was, but I am guessing that I didn't let the adhesive (3m weatherstrip adhesive) tack up enough, or perhaps I didn't do enough prep?

So I need to give it another go, and I am wondering if I need to clean all of the adhesive off from my last attempt, or do I just go over what is already there? If I need to remove the old stuff, what would I use to get it off?

Thanks for any advice, I'm hoping to get this done ASAP so I don't wreck the seals.
Some people call him Maurice...
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the old glue with a product the body shops use to wash a vehicle before a paint job. It's called "General purpose Adhesive remover" from 3m-I'm sure there are other brands

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people use way too much cement, and it will not work. The secret is to use as little as you can possibly apply(think paper thin!) and make sure both surfaces are cleaned well first.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plastics pins for those seals that go between the hinges.
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same failure. Too much adhesive. A good tutorial for this would be great. If you get it wrong, it takes a lot of time to prep it to go again. I need to redo it again
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandS wrote:
I had the same failure. Too much adhesive. A good tutorial for this would be great. If you get it wrong, it takes a lot of time to prep it to go again. I need to redo it again

Welp, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think too much adhesive was probably the problem. I also may not have let it tack up enough- patience is not my strong suit. Sigh- it looks like I have a ton of work ahead of me getting adhesive off of the van. Thanks for all the feedback!
Some people call him Maurice...
WiboBusMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like surface prep to me. A tedious job, so better to do it once.

Gotta clean off all the old glue. Peel, pick and rub the dry stuff then carefully and thoroughly clean with adhesive remover, on BOTH surfaces (door frame and seal), let dry and use just enough adhesive to do the job, but not so sparingly that it's drying before you get it in place.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use laquer thinner to loosen up the old hard glue-- it'll be a hell of a job getting it outa the door frame.

Once you have it all gone & clean from the seal & door framem apply the glue evenly to both the seal & metal.
Let it tack up good, and then install the seal.
As long as evverthing is cleaned up good the adhesive will hold the seal onto the van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: