Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

02 2.5L crank,no start
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the bad wire was the problem the last time when I had a no start one day,but started the next day. I thought it was an intermittently bad ignition switch so I replaced it and it hasn't been a problem til now. Because it restarted,I didn't continue with voltage tests, but the ECU was not getting power. I was messing with the O2 sensor wires and the alt wire bending them and zap strapping them away from the catalytic converter. Maybe I partially broke the alt B+ wire at that time.I did check all the O2 wires for continuity and re-zap everything back up,maybe making a partial connection. Will have to trace it and see, but hat's a job for next summer. Ha,ha,ha,ha.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! I jumped a wire from B+ post to B+ at the alternator with ignition on and green test connectors together and got relays clicking, fuel pump cycling. Must have a broken wire in harness from alt to B+ post - probably at a sharp kink.
Three crank/no starts this summer (1) ECU (2) ignition switch (3) no B+ power with ignition on (fun with vanagons!)
Got it bled after t'stat replacement using my Libby bong which was useful since I snapped off the plastic bleed screw on my new Nissens rad a while ago and it's now sealed with marine epoxy.
Soldered and shrink wrapped two wire slices in the junction bow for B+ and IGN+ from my original conversion wiring that were only taped together.

88 Wolfsburg auto with 02 Subaru 2.5L
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a relay in your wiring feed the post?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
The B+ post in the junction box goes dead when the ignition switch is on. Does that mean the battery is toast (I Hope)?

If it cranks but no start then I doubt it is the battery. Dead battery = no crank.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B+ post in the junction box goes dead when the ignition switch is on. Does that mean the battery is toast (I Hope)?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnected crank or cam sensors will allow cranking but no firing.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: 02 2.5L crank,no start Reply with quote

Swapped out my t'stat yesterday and it would not start. The only electrical I touched was the temp sender. It cranks,no start. I have no fuel pump cycling or FP relay or ignition start relay clicking with the green test connectors together and ignition on. I have B+ power at the junction box with ign off pre and post fuse. With ign on I have no B+ power at the junction box, no power to the ECU,but have IGN+ power at the junction box and at the ECU. B+ measured 12.3 volts at the battery, but his battery is old (2 years past warranty). I have replaced the ignition switch with a new one from the dealer. Only thing I can think of is the battery. Any ideas?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: