Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Webasto Gas Heater Install
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281214486217?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And Abel hooked me up with a list of stuff from his install ( hope he doesnt mind that I posted the list ) I also snooped around thier website and got a couple other gadgets to go with it like this through the floor vertical vent

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/321478872712?_mwBanner=1

1/4"x1/2"x1/2" Plastic Fuel Line Tee:
Part Number 62104. The stock Tee will not fit the existing Vanagon fuel line from the fuel tank. This item needs to be ordered ASAP or else you can't complete the mechanical install.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22808&partnumber=62104#62104

Most of these items are all available from Bowers in the UK. They do ship quickly... Couldn't find any similar vendors in the US. You can always install the heater and get the wiring all done and these items listed can always be added on later once they come in.

Webasto Exhaust muffler:
Should come with 2 heavy duty clamps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBERSPACHER-WEBASTO-HEATER...4acef543c6

SmarTemp Thermostat:
Not necessary, possible overkill. I'm still trying to determine if mine is worth it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEBASTO-smartemp-smart-tem...35d258e8de

22mm P-Clip:
Order 2-3 of these heavy clips, they will help you mount your exhaust pipe to the van. Pipe gets very hot, rubber line clamps not recommended.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBERSPACHER-WEBASTO-HEATER...338a153f96

Short Radius Elbow:
Since I' have my heater in a tight area I needed this very tight, short radius elbow. May not be necessary for your install.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/webasto-airtop-2000-st-hea...3389d24ef9

60mm Ducting & 4 Clamps:
The heater does not come with the larger 60mm ducting to attach the heater so you can route to your vents.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/eberspacher-webasto-propex...35d0eca1f7

1m Exhaust Pipe:
Once you add the exhaust muffler, You can add an additional section of exhaust pipe to route to a safe vent area. I did this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/eberspacher-webasto-propex...4acf272c04

Exhaust Hose End Cap:
This is just to make the exhaust tip nice and finished. hides the burrs from the metal so i doesn't cut or snag on something.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231416395913?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

22mm Intake Silencer:
Not sure if this is necessary, Some say it doesn't make a big deal but I ordered it and installed it anyways.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Eberspacher-air-in...mp;vxp=mtr

Webasto Vents:
I liked these the best. Some vents have foldable louvers/flaps which I did not like just in case they got accidentally closed in the middle of the night trapping heat or starving the heater for return air. These vents are fixed and will not close accidentally. Also the vent themselves can rotate to direct the heat where you like.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321300237369?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Webasto Vent Backing Nut:
These screw onto the back of the Webasto vent listed above. This just makes the vent fixed to the cabinet and then the 60mm ducting slides over and clamps onto the part.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221355970531?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out butlertechnik.com in the UK for parts too.
I have no experience with them but they offer a lot of parts and seem legit.
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The altitude issue is huge for me. Thanks for all that info. I'm going to research them more. keep sharing info here though.
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:

And Abel hooked me up with a list of stuff from his install ( hope he doesnt mind that I posted the list ) I also snooped around thier website and got a couple other gadgets to go with it like this through the floor vertical vent

Nope, don't mind at all...
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
The altitude issue is huge for me. Thanks for all that info. I'm going to research them more. keep sharing info here though.
Thanks

I know Propex users claim usage to 11,000ft without problems. I just wanted a gasoline burning furnace since I didn't want to mess with propane. Runs about $800.

Espar heaters will run on gasoline, and have a high altitude compensator module as an option but it'll run you about $2,400 total. ouch.

The Webasto ran me about $1,065 new on ebay. but haven't dialed it in for high altitude usage. Booo..
acegallagher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll comment on altitude as it was a big motive for me. I start out at 7K feet and end often at 11K+ (up to 12.5K so far) and haven't had the propex die on me yet. It does a wonderful job. I'm waiting to see what happens when I hit -30F temps though.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is odd that their high altitude compensation tops out under 10K feet. On my Evo with altitude compensation, it says it is designed to adjust air delivery at up to 2500 meters (8200 feet). I've seen specs refer to 1500 meters as the ceiling for unadjusted heaters. And 3,000 meters for the high altitude fuel pumps. That's almost 10,000 feet but that still leaves out some of the high mountain camping areas.

They do say you can drive over passes and such with the unadjusted units, so it isn't that they won't work, but they tell you to use compensation if yo plan to stay above 1500 meters. I forget the exact wording on that. I'm sure those altitudes are rough guidelines since they use round numbers 1500, 2500, and 3000 meters. I've seen 2200 meters mentioned too for one of the heaters.

A lot of sportsmobiles have either the Webasto or Espar units and I've seen posts of people using unadjusted heaters at higher altitudes. But then again you read about undiagnosed problems with all kinds of heaters so I guess there is always some risk. One thing they do specifically say is to run the heater at least once a month. I bet a lot of people don't.

Got my formica today and gonna finish up my storage cabinet for the heater.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else will be cozy at night at the hill this year Wink Just showed up and I cant wait to get going on the install now being able to physically place it in spots. Excited!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For altitudes above 8,000 feet there seems to be no better solution than the Espar gas/diesel heaters with the altitude adjusting module.

I have the espar seetup and really good last year. looking forward to this year.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613526&highlight=espar

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
scottbott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put webasto insulation on the pipework so the undersea area does not heat up and I get the most heat out of the outlet as possible
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow and steady. Finished my little cabinet.

Anyone who has built a cabinet before knows how much work it is for what seems like a simple box. Yey.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built many cabinets and that one is sweet!
Looks like it came right out of the 80s...I mean that in a good way.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!

Cabinet looks great. Not sure if you've already decided on locations for the vents but I'd recommend heat on the front face and intake on the side next to the aisle way...
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I like the way it came out.

Abel, this heater is so big I don't have a lot of venting options. It just fits the cabinet with a couple inches to spare. So the outlet is going to have to face the isle and I'll but an angled vent on it so it points at a 45 towards the fridge. I don't think I have any room inside the box for ducting. Size is definetley a downside to this heater. OTOH, when I really need the heat at high alitude middle of winter ski areas, it will crank. I could have put it under the seat if I wasn't stuck on having a shower tank there.

Dave
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha... so the heat outlet is in the aisle way. so the intake is on the sliding door side. will you add a vent there so it can pull fresh air in?

one thing I used was a short radius elbow from ebay. not sure if you have the room or not... this let me make the 90 degree turn. just an option.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEBASTO-AIRTOP-2000-ST-HEA...3389d24ef9

newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started at noon today and got most of mine installed by 5. I have not tackled the wiring or the thermostat yet. These are some things I learned:

Be prepared to spend ALOT of time under the van. Setting the heater where you want it may not work with the exhaust/inlet and fuel lines underneath. I cut the template from underside where it would "fit" and let the top side heater placement sort of fall where it wanted. It worked out better in the end as I was trying to maximize space and now it has rom to breathe in its compartment. I mounted it in the same location as Dave which works great for fuel source but sucks for exhaust and intake routing. I drilled 2 large holes in the vans support body mount arm and ran the intake forward above the control arm and over the power steering rack. Tucked up so no dust enters the tube. I ran the exhaust 10" into a muffler and then under the frame over to the rear center edge of the fuel tank away from the sliding door. I may shorten it up so it doesnt go under the frame and close to the fuel line, pointing the exhaust towards the center of the van.

The instructions suck. Have TheSamba threads pulled up and saved to re read through. The fuel pump wires come through the intake tube. I notched the plastic tube and then the intake tube so they could escape the edge when the intake tube meets up with the plastic downward hard pipe. I havent tackled the wiring and am lost on the schematics they give you or it may be the fact I havent ate anything and blood sugar/ vision/ patience level has exceeded normal.

Abels list I posted is awesome. I used everything. THANKS AGAIN ABEL!

Ill post up some pics when I get it cleaned and tidied up and get the thermostat installed and wires ran. Cant wait to fire it up at the hill....praying for snow this year!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW: Wouldn't you rather vent the exhaust towards/past the outside edge of the van? Carbon monoxide being what it is...

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:

Abels list I posted is awesome. I used everything. THANKS AGAIN ABEL!

You're welcome...

I would be weary of having the exhaust line so close to the fuel tank. That exhaust gets really hot. I'd also suggest routing it to the edge of the van and not letting it terminate under the van.

I ran mine back to the rear passenger side jacking point and have it terminated there. pointing outward of the van.

Wiring was a pain. there are a few wires that aren't needed. secondary vent fan is one if i recall correctly.
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts running it to dump under the van vs the side was to avoid it being sucked in past the always out of adjustment slider door. I wont be running it while driving. I also thought it would be less noisy pointed at the ground and away from the doors if opened. I will rethink it tonight and most likely reroute. Thanks
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where I have mine routed to.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: