Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat options for a 1973 Thing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Heat options for a 1973 Thing Reply with quote

Argh, previous owners . . .

A previous owner removed the BN4 heater from my car, so, I am trying to determine what the options are to heat my car.

Option 1 - BN4 gas heater

Locating working units is a challenge, even more so to locate one that is complete with all of the parts. Parts can be difficult to find, and expensive

Option 2 - Heater boxes

This would require replacing the 'dog house,' rear tin to allow the tubes from the 'dog house' to each heater box, the part that goes from the heater box to inside the car, the tubes that run inside the car, and all of the bits that go up behind the dash.

Option 3 - 'Eastern Front'

Wear a rabbit fur hat with ear flaps, field gray overcoat, wool gloves, two toques, wool scarf, East German felt boots, wool pants and field blouse, and place a canteen with schnapps inside the drivers door.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for Option 3.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you missed a couple options:
4: heated seats
5. Propex http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155324&highlight=propex

I have a '74 where someone installed the BN4 and I just got it running and it's nice. If I didn't have it already I would put the heater boxes and other bits back in place.

Option 3 does sound preferable if it's only occasionally. Smile
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think you can get a BN4 installed, up and running for less time, money, and effort than Options 2, 4, or 5. Option 3 sounds interesting.

Installing a BN4 would return your 181 closer to stock and most likely increase it's value.

That being said,.......one of the Domeck brothers has an interesting setup for his Type 4 powered 181.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with the post, the BN4 heater is great and get hot in a flash. The air volume inside a Thing is considerably larger than a VW beetle, and since it also lacks insulation heater boxes might not be enough.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a daily driver owner of a 1974 Thing for 25 years get your BN4 heater up and running. There is a guy in Colorado that restores them-check the classifieds.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1281986

This guy-give him a ring or try to do it yourself. There is a wealth of knowledge here.
IHC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a current model Espar? Same company that made the BN 4, heater. Think they are under $2000.you will have a modern safe heater.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my first 73 I had both a working gas heater and had added a Beetle exhaust heat system. Nice and toasty that way and when the gas heater failed to work for some reason I still had some heat.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1281986

This guy-give him a ring or try to do it yourself. There is a wealth of knowledge here.
I gave him a call, left a message, I may go ahead and buy a fuel pump as he appears to have them available.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IHC wrote:
Buy a current model Espar? Same company that made the BN 4, heater. Think they are under $2000.you will have a modern safe heater.

I have been considering installing a diesel cab heater, it appears they will fit in the area where the BN4 would be installed. It would require a separate fuel tank, not a big issue as I would place it in the front of the car where the windows are stored.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to consider is that your '73 probably does not have the heat tubes (where the accordions connect) welded into the body.
Adding them would be a pain.
Additionally, when you add up the cost of heat exchangers, all of the correct tubes and ducts, retro-fitting the control levers, cables and their guide tubes, etc., it makes a good used BN4 seem like a bargain.

A modern gasoline Espar would be a second choice, but a good used BN4 would require zero fabrication; that is the way forward.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who say find a BN4.

Two more options:

1. Heated motorcycle clothing. A heated jacket and gloves would be nice for the driver.

2. I have a 12v electric blanket for the back seat of my car. I wasn't too enthusiastic about it at first, but my kids LOVE it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
One more thing to consider is that your '73 probably does not have the heat tubes (where the accordions connect) welded into the body.
Adding them would be a pain.
Additionally, when you add up the cost of heat exchangers, all of the correct tubes and ducts, retro-fitting the control levers, cables and their guide tubes, etc., it makes a good used BN4 seem like a bargain.

A modern gasoline Espar would be a second choice, but a good used BN4 would require zero fabrication; that is the way forward.

Good luck, Mondshine

I piped the outlet of one heater box out under the driver's side of the rear heat and the passenger side up through the rear deck. Nice short runs that made for gobs of heat compared to a '74 model. For controls I just had a wire hook on the flapper valves that I used to turn the heat on in the fall and then off in the spring. This made the rear of the vehicle toasty warm and kept the rear window clear. Combined with the stock gas heater the car was very comfortable.

The whole install probably cost me half of a day, not a big deal for the level of comfort it provided.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id put the BN4 back. It will only enhance the value of your thing to do so. The parts are not that hard to find. They are out there with shared use for other cars. Most of the bits are the same as with the BN4s in the bus. Getting a used unit and restoring it yourself will give you knowledge moving forward on maintaining it. Or you could pay all the $ up front and buy one from Marty.

I love BN4s - they are sweet little runners and simple once you get the hang of them.

Check this out.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614419&highlight=eberspacher

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Id put the BN4 back. It will only enhance the value of your thing to do so. The parts are not that hard to find. They are out there with shared use for other cars. Most of the bits are the same as with the BN4s in the bus. Getting a used unit and restoring it yourself will give you knowledge moving forward on maintaining it. Or you could pay all the $ up front and buy one from Marty.

I love BN4s - they are sweet little runners and simple once you get the hang of them.

Check this out.

Marty did return my call, very knowledgeable and pleasant guy, unfortunately he had no complete Thing BN-4 units.

I was able to locate on The Samba a complete, working BN-4 system for the Thing, looking forward to it arriving, and getting it installed !
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"They build 'em good in Germany"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually pretty good, but I'm not getting this one. Where's it from?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the number on the destroyer (you might need to watch the movie, but it's a great one) !

Link
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ente_kaefer wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Check this out.

Marty did return my call, very knowledgeable and pleasant guy, unfortunately he had no complete Thing BN-4 units.

I was able to locate on The Samba a complete, working BN-4 system for the Thing, looking forward to it arriving, and getting it installed !

I would still take it down to clean the points Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: