Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Experience With Spring Spacers/Wedges To Incr Spring Rate?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Experience With Spring Spacers/Wedges To Incr Spring Rate? Reply with quote

I see they sell hard rubber spring spacers that isolate one or more coils in a spring by wedging them in between the coils which I believe has the effect of increasing the spring rate. They are not made so much for lifting, although some people seem to use them to stabilize loads.

Has anyone used them? Which ones, sizes, anything else worth knowing.

The objective is to increase stiffness and reduce wallow. I can get new springs, but these seem like they might do the trick.

Like these: http://www.amazon.com/Superior-18-8001-Twist-Front-Spacer/dp/B00029K21G Or These: http://www.amazon.com/Superior-18-1901-Donut-Spring-Spacer/dp/B00029K20W
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been referring to these for years as spring rubbers.

They help stop the negative effects of coil binding.

They are sold in may different durometers.
Guys at the track can really get a vehicle to preform much better in certain conditions with them.

As far as spring rate, I can't answer that.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring rate of any one spring is a DIRECT function on the number of coils. Less coils = stiffer spring. These blocks basically immobilize coils, increasing your spring rate. Same as a progressive spring works. A progressive spring has a few coils that will coilbind, thus reducing the number of active coils and increasing the spring rate. That's how a progressive spring works, it's kinda crude/simple.

One thing good about the rubber blocks, if you mis-calculate and add enough blocks to coil-bind the (entire) spring, then you have the safety of the rubber.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as increasing stiffness and reducing wallow, I'd say a good set of shocks would fix it.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sodo, that is how I heard they worked. Someone with a vanagon must have tried them.

Thanks Hans, but shocks won't increase spring rate, right? How much would the small gas charge do, they can be compressed by hand so I wouldn't think much.

But I take your point, the swaying might be much improved with new shocks especially up front. They are stock. But it isn't reallly felt on bumps, more on winding 50 mph roads that rise and fall, it wallows if that is a decent description. I'm comparing to my last van where I had stiffer front springs (and stock shocks).

I think the springs are just a little soft for the syncro westy. But I don't really need more lift, so the typical syncro upgrade springs may not be what I want. Plus for the money it would be interesting to hear if anyone has tried some of these. I sit at 18.5 now.

Thanks
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Thanks Sodo, that is how I heard they worked. Someone with a vanagon must have tried them.

Thanks Hans, but shocks won't increase spring rate, right? How much would the small gas charge do, they can be compressed by hand so I wouldn't think much.

But I take your point, the swaying might be much improved with new shocks especially up front. They are stock. But it isn't reallly felt on bumps, more on winding 50 mph roads that rise and fall, it wallows if that is a decent description. I'm comparing to my last van where I had stiffer front springs (and stock shocks).

I think the springs are just a little soft for the syncro westy. But I don't really need more lift, so the typical syncro upgrade springs may not be what I want. Plus for the money it would be interesting to hear if anyone has tried some of these. I sit at 18.5 now.

Thanks

I shouldn't speak for Hans, but Dave, you should take a trip out to SLC and go for a ride in Hans' rig. He is running springs that are actually softer than a stock Syncro (if I remember correctly) and the ride quality and handling is better than those Syncros that are stiffly sprung with lesser quality shocks.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, no clue on spring rates.

I have three different vans, with a little wedge, on each corner.

You do not use more than one of these per spring and nailing the durometer is just as important as spring rate and shock valving.
You really need to buy multiples of these and experiment.

Thinking that you are going just buy one and it will work perfectly, is not advised, but please let us know if you do move in this direction.

You will also find that from suspension movement, the rubbers will move if you just stuff them in place.
With a few miles, they will be gone and hopefully won't take the windshield of the vehicle behind you.
Zip tie them in place.
The better quality rubbers will have areas for the binders and not compress the rubber.

If you are just looking to extend the life of clapped out springs and don't have the capital for new shocks, save your money on these and put it to springs and shocks...than you can further dial in the new setup.

For the frugal...you can just split old hoses and try this for free with parts laying around your garage.

I also showed the hose thick in the Corter thread when installing the GW lift springs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: