Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro gravity (rollover) valves
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Syncro gravity (rollover) valves Reply with quote

What are the functions of the gravity valves?
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the event of a roll over, they shut off the fuel flow from tank
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they have no direct contact to the fuel supply ,The main vent line is at the top of the tank and is vented to the filler area and will spill everything if rolled , so that makes the gravity valves useless .
I think they have more to do with vapors, directing them to the canister, but if there is a main vent line, what's the use of the valves
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main vent line is to equalize the pressure when filling the tank. That vent line ties back to the filler port and as long as there is a cap with a decent seal it is still a closed system in the event of a rollover.
The rollover valves are to keep gas from getting out of the fuel tank as they are routed outside of the closed tank system and into the charcoal canister and finally to the atmosphere.

I have been in a rollover in 2 carbureted vehicles and a bunch of fuel is spilled everywhere from the float bowl that wouldn't be a issue with a FI motor as long as no hoses are lacerated during the maneuver.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valves if you turn one upside down will close. If I recall correctly Bentley makes a mention of the valves purpose and how to test.

Last edited by BillM on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title should be changed to "rollover" valves, the more common name, so more people can find it in a search.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
No

Yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
No, they have no direct contact to the fuel supply ,The main vent line is at the top of the tank and is vented to the filler area and will spill everything if rolled , so that makes the gravity valves useless .
I think they have more to do with vapors, directing them to the canister, but if there is a main vent line, what's the use of the valves

Yes they do...directly Exclamation

I don't think you have a handle on how the system is plumbed and works.

The diagram is posted in the other thread that you are asking questions in.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
The title should be changed to "rollover" valves, the more common name, so more people can find it in a search.

Done.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In other VW's, it's known as a vent valve. It's located in the fuel filler neck in those cars and it's purpose is to prevent fuel from entering the vent system in the case of a roll-over, or other accident.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncros have a vent line for filling that runs along the filler tube and allows most of the air out while filling.
It is part of the metal portion that you put the nozzle into.

The rollover valves are in the top of the tank, in direct contact with gasoline and provide additional venting and act as a safety features when the vehicle ends up on its side or roof.

The vent line and the rollover valves are directly related to slow filling and when you can not get 18+ gallons into the tank.

The hose and tank diagram has been posted in other Syncro gas tank threads and should be viewed and understood before tackling Syncro gas tank work/rehabs.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disassembled one to understand how they work , but are they use primarily for venting of the fuel tank? When would the valves interfere with the filling if the main vent line was clear, pressure from the inside shuts the valve off.
Insyncro had mentioned that he hard lines them to the intake manifold, is he bypassing the charcoal canister?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
I disassembled one to understand how they work , but are they use primarily for venting of the fuel tank? When would the valves interfere with the filling if the main vent line was clear, pressure from the inside shuts the valve off.
Insyncro had mentioned that he hard lines them to the intake manifold, is he bypassing the charcoal canister?

No, I am not bypassing anything.
I have EVAP working as designed on conversions and WBX powered vans I work on.

The hardline vent lines helps me keep the tank as high as possible because with some expedition builds, every millimeter counts.

Both 10cent and I have built FI systems with hardlines instead of hoses.
It costs more, fancy tools are needed, a game plan needed....please stick to hoses and proper clamps, unless you completely understand how the systems work.
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the main purpose of these valves is to vent (the top of) the fuel tank, and the "rollover" aspect was added as a secondary feature so the primary could be achieved in the event of a rollover the fuel would not leak from the vents.
Why are there 2 valves when other vehicles have only one?
If the main vent line was not at the highest point of the fuel tank would air become trapped at the top of the tank because the pressure couldn't be released through the valves
So in that case, would leaving the engine running (bad idea, and illegal ) allow the tank to fill to 100%
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Syncros have a vent line for filling that runs along the filler tube and allows most of the air out while filling.
It is part of the metal portion that you put the nozzle into.

The rollover valves are in the top of the tank, in direct contact with gasoline and provide additional venting and act as a safety features when the vehicle ends up on its side or roof.

The vent line and the rollover valves are directly related to slow filling and when you can not get 18+ gallons into the tank.

The hose and tank diagram has been posted in other Syncro gas tank threads and should be viewed and understood before tackling Syncro gas tank work/rehabs.

Actually I have to disagree about the slow fuel filling. In my experience, the reason for slow filling in Syncros is do to a collapsed main fuel fill hose.

The one that connects the metal fill port to the metal supply pipe to the tank:

And if you think about it, the two rollover valves serve two functions. They are connected to the EVAP system and prevent fuel from entering the system in event of a rollover, but they also prevent raw liquid gas from entering the system when the fuel tank is full and gas is sloshing around the tank. The valve raises like a float to close off the opening and preventing liquid from entering the EVAP system.
The rest of the time, any gas vapors are allowed to escape through the valves and get trapped in the EVAP system.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every single part of the fuel system that is in contact with gasoline is breaking down.
The rollover valves and vent line are not the only parts that effect filling, didn't say that.

Each of the hoses should be checked once every two years, the submerged line, every 5 for preventative maintenance sake.

New hoses are not holding up as well in smaller sizes as of late.
Buy the best quality products as you can.

I would not want the job of the parts that hold and deliver gasoline, no thanks.
All4You
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gravity (rollover) valves Reply with quote

Hello all,

I wonder if my rollover valves have failed. 86 syncro with completely redone fuel tank and EJ25 conversion 4 years back. In the last 1-2 years i have noticed that the tank pressurizes every time I’m stuck in traffic, going slow or idling. If I’m cruising it may or may not pressurize. At the worst, when I open the gas cap there’s a loud woosh with gas boiling over from gas to liquid at the filler. Charcoal canister replaced twice. Canister and outflow hose at bottom of canister move air with minimal resistance. If I push air in to the tank vent line (thank connects at the top of the charcoal canister) air pushes out of the filler. I tried pushing air in from vent line at the filler neck while plugging the filler itself and gas poured out of the filler (even though it was duct taped shut) and I didn’t feel any flow at charcoal canister line.
Does anyone have ideas on where the failure is and if the roll over valves could be the culprit?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647477&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro gravity (rollover) valves Reply with quote

All4You wrote:
Hello all,

I wonder if my rollover valves have failed. 86 syncro with completely redone fuel tank and EJ25 conversion 4 years back. In the last 1-2 years i have noticed that the tank pressurizes every time I’m stuck in traffic, going slow or idling. If I’m cruising it may or may not pressurize. At the worst, when I open the gas cap there’s a loud woosh with gas boiling over from gas to liquid at the filler. Charcoal canister replaced twice. Canister and outflow hose at bottom of canister move air with minimal resistance. If I push air in to the tank vent line (thank connects at the top of the charcoal canister) air pushes out of the filler. I tried pushing air in from vent line at the filler neck while plugging the filler itself and gas poured out of the filler (even though it was duct taped shut) and I didn’t feel any flow at charcoal canister line.
Does anyone have ideas on where the failure is and if the roll over valves could be the culprit?

I’ll try to help. It sounds like your roll over vent valves are working properly.
They are connected to the charcoal canister. The canister is not vented to atmosphere. Under certain engine load conditions, the diaphragm valve open and the engine draws the fuel vapors into the engine and burns them. With the engine off, they are not venting to atmosphere. That’s why you don’t smell gas in the garage. So, it’s actually working as designed assuming the canister vent is connected properly to your Subaru engine.

The woosh sound is common to many vehicles. So open slowly. The diesel Syncro did not have a charcoal canister. The hose was routed up into the filler assembly. It followed the overflow hose up the r/s.

Hope that helps.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro gravity (rollover) valves Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
All4You wrote:
Hello all,

I’ll try to help. It sounds like your roll over vent valves are working properly.
They are connected to the charcoal canister. The canister is not vented to atmosphere. Under certain engine load conditions, the diaphragm valve open and the engine draws the fuel vapors into the engine and burns them. With the engine off, they are not venting to atmosphere. That’s why you don’t smell gas in the garage. So, it’s actually working as designed assuming the canister vent is connected properly to your Subaru engine.

The woosh sound is common to many vehicles. So open slowly. The diesel Syncro did not have a charcoal canister. The hose was routed up into the filler assembly. It followed the overflow hose up the r/s.

Hope that helps.

Mark,

I am not aware of any Vanagon fuel tank venting that by design pulls negative pressure on the tank enough to be noticeable (woosh). Even on conversions. Am I missing something?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro gravity (rollover) valves Reply with quote

I read it was building pressure.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro gravity (rollover) valves Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I read it was building pressure.

Hmm. I think you are correct.

Shouldn't the charcoal canister system prevent that pressurization?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: