Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring product for around metal tabs
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poulinporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Wiring product for around metal tabs Reply with quote

I seem to remember there is a product that goes around the metal tabs that hold in the wiring throughout the car that was black plastic (rubber) so that the wiring didn't chafe (it will also hide an cracked paint on those tabs when you tighten them up around the wire). I didn't have any on my thing when i got it but was wondering if that rang a bell to anyone. Does anyone know where the product might be available?

Thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring Reply with quote

Shrink tubing? I use that when refurbing wiring to keep in place, and to make waterproof.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: wiring Reply with quote

Just add several extra wraps of electrical tape if you think it is warranted.
hobie16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Electrical tape tends to loose its glue after a while. Shrink wrap tubing lasts forever.

If anything’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.
---Captain Ron
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring Reply with quote

hobie16 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Electrical tape tends to loose its glue after a while. Shrink wrap tubing lasts forever.

If it is within some kind of restraint it can't unravel very much even over a decade. Assuming you are using just the normal shrink wrap stuff how do you get it to the middle of a long length of wire? I know that there are supposed to be self adhering shrink wraps out there, but have never seen them as yet.

Self adhering silicone tape or other self adhering tapes will work as well, but they don't offer the highest level of protection against chafe.

I used to have dozens of rolls of the heavy duty plastic tape that were used to make splices on trailing cables for mine equipment, that stuff was absolutely amazing in both its long term adhesion and it ability to handle extreme wear. Should try and find some more of it.
bald_dude43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring product for around metal tabs Reply with quote

Apples and Oranges Gentlemen. The original post was asking about something to cover the two thin metal tabs located strategically to hold wiring in place. I use heat shrink as well, slide it over a tab, hit it with a lighter and then trim. Electrical tape is good for holding wires bundled however I prefer zip-ties. Just my 2 cents.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: