Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Excuse me. 72-74 heat exchangers with an aftermarket muffler that has an EGR provision. It looks like the stock style early T4 bus muffler, but the tailpipe is unlike anything I've ever seen. It's Federal, so I don't think the ref will look for a cat.

So the '72-'74 heat exchangers mate up to the '76 fan shroud? That's a bonus. Very Happy

re. cat or no cat: I think you'll want to bring some supporting evidence to the smog referee to prove that the bus didn't have one when new and be prepared to argue your case. Otherwise they'll just assume that it had to have one.

I was fortunate that I had the original user manual for my van, which clearly showed that Canadian versions had no cat, Federal US versions had a 2-way cat, and California versions had a 3-way cat. Even with that evidence I was required to install a cat, because it had to meet US standards of the day. And of course then it had to be a CARB-compliant cat.

If you are forced to install a cat, note that the late bus Federal crossover pipe is apparently really hard to find. For an alternate solution using an extractor, check out aircooledchris' solution. There's a picture around here somewhere...
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

it is on the driver's door post and engine lid. Conforms to 49-state or California. Catalyst or non-catalyst.

I think there is a chance if you add one to pass smog they may require it next time. Their system keeps track of how each car does. In fact you can go online with a VIN or license and see the smog history of any California car. Use the VIN if you have it as it will pick up the prior owner's history on smog tests too.

https://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/vehicle/pubtstqry.aspx
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

Wow, Steve thanks for the link! I was all over BAR's website this week but I didn't see that. (This bus' history looks like F-F-F-F-F-F-P haha! What am I getting into…)

If a mod sees this side discussion and wants to move it to a separate topic, I'm fine. Thanks for letting me clutter up the Magnaflow thread.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Should have something CARB II certified very soon that bolts onto stock air cooled 76-78 VW buses and 79-82 Federal air cooled Vanagons and buses.

Hi Steve, would you (this thread) be the best way to know when this cat becomes available? I don't want to keep asking if/when it's ready - I checked the MF site and nothing there yet, not sure what other channels to look for availability.

Thanks,
Lovine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

lovine wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Should have something CARB II certified very soon that bolts onto stock air cooled 76-78 VW buses and 79-82 Federal air cooled Vanagons and buses.

Hi Steve, would you (this thread) be the best way to know when this cat becomes available? I don't want to keep asking if/when it's ready - I checked the MF site and nothing there yet, not sure what other channels to look for availability.

Thanks,
Lovine

I sent a Vanagon crossover so they could fit it against that too and got the new modified cat shell from them last week. I had the flu and a fever so did not feel like lying on the cold floor to mount it. I should be able to do that this weekend, then send the shell on to SlowLane so he can test the shell on his Vanagon. If it fits both, which they should, then Magnaflow should be ready for production. Steve
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

I sent a Vanagon crossover so they could fit it against that too and got the new modified cat shell from them last week. I had the flu and a fever so did not feel like lying on the cold floor to mount it. I should be able to do that this weekend, then send the shell on to SlowLane so he can test the shell on his Vanagon. If it fits both, which they should, then Magnaflow should be ready for production. Steve

Thank you for all of your hard work in this area. Many will benefit from this as we move forward.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

most recent proto type shell. I think this will also fit the Vanagons. SlowLane your thoughts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
most recent proto type shell. I think this will also fit the Vanagons. SlowLane your thoughts?

It appears that they've managed to clock the inlet flange just enough to provide the extra clearance I was concerned about, but not so much that there will be an interference with the rear apron. Seems your idea of sending them a Federal crossover pipe was a winner, Steve.
'72 Super Beetle

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

Magnaflow replied to Lyle and I last night that they will finalize the design with the prototype shell fitting both my 77 bus and Lyle's Vanagon. Lyle suggested moving the O2 bung a few degrees counter-clockwise. We will be Ok at 5 - 7 degrees counter-clockwise on both the bus and Vanagon. Sounds like we have a winner here that will meet CARB II specs and fit the 1975 to 1982 air cooled engines with the exception of the "tucked back and under" California models that are double flanged. Fortunately other solutions exist on those. I'll post the Magnaflow part number as soon as they tell me they are available.
porky79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

So how's it going with MagnaFlow?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

I got the 75-78 system back last night but have not opened the box to see exactly what is in it. I'll ask them if they have a part number for the new one.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

don't have a part number yet. Did come across these older smog docs at ARB for anyone who collects this stuff.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/pcldtmdv/1977/volkswagen_ldt_a0070021_1d97_ta0.pdf
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

So, as my bus shows a fail in 96, then passes in 96, 98, 00, and 02, I would imagine that it is safe to assume that it left CA somewhere between the last test on there (1/30/2002) and two years down the road?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
SGKent wrote:

So, as my bus shows a fail in 96, then passes in 96, 98, 00, and 02, I would imagine that it is safe to assume that it left CA somewhere between the last test on there (1/30/2002) and two years down the road?

or was on non-op because someone was tired of putting money into it Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

Gabe wrote - they are waiting on the EO from CARB and should have it in a few more days. Once CARB gives them the EO they will be available. Thanks to Magnaflow for stepping up to the plate to build a catalytic that fits our buses and aircooled Vanagons, and meets the CARB guidelines. I will probably change out my current EMICO cat for one of theirs as it will flow better and therefore make better sound and power than the one on it now.
HerrMahnenschmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

Any updates on this effort?

A search on Magnaflow for a 77 CA-spec cat comes up with part #339004, which shows 777 in stock.

Fingers crossed.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

HerrMahnenschmidt wrote:
Any updates on this effort?

A search on Magnaflow for a 77 CA-spec cat comes up with part #339004, which shows 777 in stock.

The 339004 is a universal-fit converter with both inlet and outlet ports concentric with the body of the cat. It has been available for a long time and is not the solution that Magnaflow was working on for Steve, although it can be made to work with some fugly welding.
'72 Super Beetle

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

waiting on Gabe who was waiting on ARB for the EO. There are several solutions if one doesn't mind the risk of cutting and welding to cast iron, or rigging something that will burn anyone's legs who approach the rear hatch to load groceries etc in it.

HerrMahnenschmidt - are you looking for a cat? What year bus, and is it Federal or California?
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
waiting on Gabe who was waiting on ARB for the EO.

That seems a little odd. I would have thought that they would simply add this cat to their 339000 series lineup, which already has an approved E.O.
But I guess Magnaflow knows their business. Looking forward to it.
'72 Super Beetle

HerrMahnenschmidt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
HerrMahnenschmidt - are you looking for a cat? What year bus, and is it Federal or California?

YessirIam. 1977 CA-spec Westy. I replaced the entire exhaust with aftermarket headers/collectors/muff as part of the rebuild in WY. I did, fortunately, keep the stock exhaust, but it is in storage in WY still, and...and...and...so I either need to get back to WY within the next few weeks, or start shelling out some clams for a complete replacement of some sort.

SGKent wrote:
There are several solutions if one doesn't mind the risk of cutting and welding to cast iron, or rigging something that will burn anyone's legs who approach the rear hatch to load groceries etc in it.

I weld and machine (in fact working at a parts manuf in Rancho Cordova), so no problem. I was wondering, though -- would it be CARB-sanctioned to reproduce a stock exhaust system in stainless? Does the muffler have to be stock to pass smog?

We're up in the Pville area...again...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: