Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I got it robbie. I need to get my dig in when the chance pops up.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
[

call magnaflow? reach out to SG and see if he can answer. sadly, he seldom participates here anymore but may reply to you

I contacted them a couple if times. They let me know it was still with engineering and that it would be for several months yet.

I hear that SMOG testers in LA may be less vigilant when checking your CAT is ARB compliant. Always worth paying for a pre-test to find out.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
After all, what's the worst part about California?

Robbie

STOCKTON,CA Evil or Very Mad

You've got your Stockton, we have our Niagara Falls...

Thank God for Smog - all you newbies here might not remember LA smog in the1970s - watch an episode of CHIPS for pictures of 'good air days'
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

kevineo wrote:
...anybody get a hold of busboys?

Bus Boys has been shuttered and closed for many months.
(sold - but not forgotten)

Last edited by BUSBOSS on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vanagons Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
You've got your Stockton, we have our Niagara Falls...

Thank God for Smog - all you newbies here might not remember LA smog in the1970s - watch an episode of CHIPS for pictures of 'good air days'

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

We may not have as much smog these days (thank god) but with all the people, it is dangerous to drive on a highway and in the summer the air is still full of smoke from more forest fires due to the many more stupid people who live here. In the winter it isn't as smoky because it is usually illegal to have a fire in the fireplace since it can be clear, windy, raining like cats and dogs, and the anti fireplace people will still call it a no burn day.

That said I have written to Gabe at Magnaflow two times in the last 10 days with no answer but that tends to be his style until he knows something. I am told that the product is engineered - it is in their catalog but not for sale yet - and is awaiting on ARB to issue an EO so they can sell it. I offered to contact the Secretary at ARB as citizen Steve to try to expedite it, but Magnaflow said let them handle it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Hi Steve. Tcash is back and you are too. Good times. Now if Skills would just go away all would be great in samba land.

Don knows I'm kidding
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevineo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the info, the effort.....
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Keep in mind there are CARB approved CATs available at your local retailer, but the trick is to actually get them to fit. They will also need to be welded in place, or you can craft flanges and weld the flanges to the CAT then bolt in like I did on my '87 Vanagon.

Here is (as of today's date) a link to the CARB Executive Order listing of aftermarket CATs, which are the 'universal' type. Again, these will need to be welded up in place... if you can actually get them to fit:

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx

YES... I know the point of this thread is to spur into existence a CAT that is a 'direct fit' and can be easily fitted up. But who knows when that will be?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I added a note to the BusBoys feedback entry to this effect. Ill ping EB/mods to perhaps make this a bit more prominent.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I checked in with Magaflow to see if they have a release date yet and was told it's still in development. Would be a shame if it was never released.
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Kinda on topic, yet off topic. Gabe just recently bought my brothers house a few months back.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

nice to know. He never answers my inquires as to status. I have maybe $1500 of my own money trying to help them help the VW community. Maybe he is too busy enjoying the new house.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Have reason to believe that it may be approved. Will know more in 24 - 48 hours.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Have reason to believe that it may be approved. Will know more in 24 - 48 hours.

Thank you for staying on top of this over the past few years. It would be great to finally see this come to market.
BusjeCA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Did the bus or vanagon ever come with a three-way cat? And is that what Magnaflow is working with? Excuse my limited knowledge on the subject; just trying to fill some holes in my brain.

Robbie, all CA-spec busses and Vanagons from '79-'83 and all water-cooled Vanagons had 3-way cats and oxygen sensors and the "lambda" closed-loop feedback system to work with them. O2 sensors and 3-way cats are complementary technologies. Wikipedia has a fairly good article on the subject.

All of the available aftermarket cats for our vehicles are 3-way cats. If you inquire about a 2-way cat with one of the manufacturers, you'll get a rather huffy response that "2-way cats are only for diesel engines", which may be true for modern cars, but wasn't the case back in the mid-70's. It's like they've completely forgotten about the history of automotive catalytic converters.

Which brings to light something that I find a bit confusing. In other forums concerning more modern cars that I've read, there is considerable consternation about missing, failed or failing O2 sensors causing a cat to self-destruct or melt down within "seconds" due to an over-rich mixture. Yet here we have several members (Steve, Richard Atwell, and now BusjeCA) who have successfully bolted on a 3-way cat to their non-Lambda-equipped busses, tuned their AFR to 14.7, and obtained enviably low emissions numbers. Not just once with a fresh cat, but in the case of Steve and ratwell, repeatedly. So maybe modern 3-way cats are a lot more resilient than is commonly believed.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by BusjeCA's success with the RMW setup. Last spring when I was going through the exercise of getting my van smogged, I contacted RMW about the viability of using a CARB-compliant cat with their system, and was told unequivocally that the CARB-compliant cats were too large to fit in the space available. I wasn't about to drop $600 just to try and prove them wrong, so I went with a homebrew solution. Kudos to BusjeCA for taking that leap of faith and figuring out how to make it work. Nice to know that is an option when my crossover pipe finally rusts away to uselessness.

BusjeCA, how tight were the clearances for the 339004? I note that you're in Berkeley. Any chance we could meet up sometime somewhere in the East Bay to compare notes? I'm in little 'ol Livermore.

I’m happy to report that BusjeCA passed smog once again with the setup described. The NOX was a bit high but I had it running too lean it turned out. It would have been better with the AFR a bit lower. Nevertheless, it looks like the magnaflow/RMW setup is good for a long time.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Any update?
(sold - but not forgotten)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I am told the EO has been issued by CARB. Hope to have the first one to test within a few weeks.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I am told the EO has been issued by CARB. Hope to have the first one to test within a few weeks.

That is fantastic news!
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Well it looks like good news for some. Magnaflow's site shows that part number 339449 has now changed to 3391449 here: https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=3391449&searchterm=3391449

But it only shows compatibility with 1977-1979 'Transporters'. Nothing for '75 or '76

ARB shows these as approved for 1977-1979 too: https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts

A royal PITA that they didn't bother certifying it for '75 and '76 too when it's exactly the same part. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: