Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
Hmm, it appears tba O'Rielly has the part number in their system. Even correctly identifies the vehicle application. No price on the web site, though. You have to call your local store.

I might do just that tomorrow...

Please do. I just got off the phone with my local Oh Really?s and we went over the on-line catalogue, UPC, E.O. Line product, and Part Number. She totally understood what we were talking about. "It won't let me order or sell it in California, because it shows prohibited use in California. So I can't get a price."

Laughing

She gets it... but the system is what it is. She will reach out to the manager, but he is off until Tuesday.

Good stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

the EO is D-193-132. https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-193-132.pdf .That allows it to be sold in California. O'Reillys needs to update their system.

tommu wrote:
sure is:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you who contributed money, sweat, time to help keep the air clean. CARB has to be strict on this stuff because , let's face it, most will take a "who me?" Attitude if they find a workaround.

Our version is 1000 towns that want GE to clean up their waste, but don't want to raise their sewer tax 50 cents to stop pouring raw sewage into the Hudson
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the EO is D-193-132. https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-193-132.pdf .That allows it to be sold in California. O'Reillys needs to update their system.

They sure do. I mean, CARB compliance was the entire point of the exercise!

Work has been crazy today. No time to pop off to O'Reilly's. Will try to get to it soon.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Nice work Steve! Your due diligence is going to help a lot of people keep their Buses on the road! It’s great to see it finally come to fruition. I just hope that enough people buy the part so that magnaflow continues to produce it. Well done!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

O’Really’s management called me back and should have catalogue/sales specs problem resolved by Friday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
O’Really’s management called me back and should have catalogue/sales specs problem resolved by Friday.

good job!
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Thanks, SGKent, for all your efforts in making this happen! We have had these on order from Magnaflow, and I am excited to say that today we received ... err... well, one. Two more are on the way and should be here in a few days. After that I'm not sure, it seems they're coming out in dribs and drabs for the time being. The format is exactly as SGKent said, of course, including the O2 sensor port even though not pictured on their site.

The link to order is http://www.busdepot.com/039131701.

Our listing says they're shipping early next week but that refers to the two on their way; whoever orders first will get the one already in stock. Once all three are gone, orders will ship as soon as they arrive in the order that they were placed; we are checking with Magnaflow daily. Assuming you pay by credit card (we don't take Paypal on backorders) you will not be charged until yours actually ships. Also no sales tax charged on orders going to California. (PS Our pic is still of a 49-state one, although no appreciable difference besides the State of California's blessings and the resulting price tag.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Thanks, SGKent, for all your efforts in making this happen! We have had these on order from Magnaflow, and I am excited to say that today we received ... err... well, one. Two more are on the way and should be here in a few days. After that I'm not sure, it seems they're coming out in dribs and drabs for the time being. The format is exactly as SGKent said, of course, including the O2 sensor port even though not pictured on their site.

Our listing says they're shipping early next week but that refers to the two on their way; whoever orders first will get the one already in stock. Once all three are gone, orders will ship as soon as they arrive in the order that they were placed; we are checking with Magnaflow daily. Assuming you pay by credit card (we don't take Paypal on backorders) you will not be charged until yours actually ships. Also no sales tax charged on orders going to California. (PS Our pic is still of a 49-state one, although no appreciable difference besides the State of California's blessings and the resulting price tag.)

Order placed! Thank you Ron for conveying to Magnaflow that there actually is a demand. I'm fine to wait for a drib or a drab if I didn't get in line quick enough for one of the first three.
'72 Super Beetle

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Ron - thank you. Lyle you were a big part of this too so kudos to you.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:

Ron, one minor tweak you might want to consider making to the order page is to point out that this cat is for Federal-emissions air-cooled Vanagons and '79 Bus.

The ad copy does point out that this cat only has the one flange joint and that customers who have cats with a flange at each end should order another part number, but also calling out the difference between Federal- and California- emission vehicles might help to clarify the situation. Many customers might not even be aware that there was a difference back then.
'72 Super Beetle

BusjeCA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

BusjeCA wrote:
I failed NOx in my FEDERAL 79 Bus. I sprung for the Rockmountainwesty (http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/Vanagon_80_83_Air_Cooled_Parts_s/256.htm) exhaust ($600) and bolted the MagnaFlow 339004 ($183) in there. It fits like a glove. Set the AFR at 14.7 (2000 rpm 2nd and 3rd gear). Passed CA smog with flying colors.

Update on the 79 (aka BUSJE) Fed and CA smog. I'm happy to report that my setup (rockymountain westy exhaust + magnaflow CARB cat) now passed smog the third time (in 4 years), again with flying colors. AFR was 14.6, both at the LM-2 wideband, and at the test station. I really think I have this under control now. It's really been worth the investment. The exhaust is totally rust free, except the lap clamp bolts and nuts.

Henk

69 Ghia (GHIATJE)
79 Bus (BUSJE)
79 Beech Sundowner (SKYBUSJE)

My lovely wife drives a Subaru. We exclusively use boxers to pump CO2 into this world
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

those are really clean readings. Sweet. You are right where you want to be.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

So I'm Google searching for CA 1979 EO D-193-132, and this thread pops up!

I find that EO listed on every search for CA buses I find; that essentially means that we can run whichever 75-79 exhaust piping we want, as long as CAT matches that EO. I think that means my current '79 CA project just got a lot cheaper… Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
So I'm Google searching for CA 1979 EO D-193-132, and this thread pops up!

I find that EO listed on every search for CA buses I find; that essentially means that we can run whichever 75-79 exhaust piping we want, as long as CAT matches that EO. I think that means my current '79 CA project just got a lot cheaper… Razz

and you have f-pipes that match the heads. Meaning square port or oval port.
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Question:

I have a 79 CA-spec bus here in Utah, and am having trouble passing emissions

The current through process is that the cat is not working properly. Colin was here on Saturday and measured my exhaust tube on the driver side at 720f (compared to the 560f for NaranjaWesty). CHTs also regularly go above 400, too, which would tie in to the cat emitting too much heat, I guess.

I no longer have the Hall-effect distributor or electronic ignition pack (just a 205P distributor), so do I need the CA-spec catalytic converter at $712, or can I fit the Federal at $359. The rest of the CA-spec exhaust appears to be in place.

Hmm, and going on the comment before mine, I wonder if my f-pipes match the heads (engine was rebuilt in 2012 with new heads...).
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

think your AFM is adjusted too rich.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Your F pipes are likely fine; I don’t think it’s actually possible to instal and drive with the incorrect pipe/head combo.

SGKent wrote:

I don’t think so, looking at those hydrocarbon levels and exhaust temps. I would be almost tempted to think the incomplete combustion is from too lean of running. (That’s what CO measures- incomplete combustion.)

Do you have the O2 sensor connected?

Those numbers are EASILY obtained by a federal bus with no cat, so focus your efforts elsewhere for the time being. New air filter? Vacuum advance functioning and timing set to 32* max advance, hoses off? (28* at sea level, folks!)

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
Question:
do I need the CA-spec catalytic converter at $712, or can I fit the Federal at $359. The rest of the CA-spec exhaust appears to be in place.

Shocked When did CATs get that expensive? My Magnaflow was less than $300 in 2018.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Your F pipes are likely fine; I don’t think it’s actually possible to instal and drive with the incorrect pipe/head combo.

SGKent wrote:

I don’t think so, looking at those hydrocarbon levels and exhaust temps. I would be almost tempted to think the incomplete combustion is from too lean of running. (That’s what CO measures- incomplete combustion.)

Do you have the O2 sensor connected?

Those numbers are EASILY obtained by a federal bus with no cat, so focus your efforts elsewhere for the time being. New air filter? Vacuum advance functioning and timing set to 32* max advance, hoses off? (28* at sea level, folks!)

Good luck,
Robbie

and yes, a filthy air cleaner can be the cause too.

I don't see it as the cat either. I've been taught that HC would be much higher from a lean misfire if a car engine is so lean the HC's aren't being given a chance to burn. He needs an O2 gauge installed to set the mixture at RPM. Only California and NY and one other state require a California catalytic, and of the three only California tests. I think any other state could use this one: https://www.busdepot.com/22916 $129. That said, check the timing also to be sure it is advancing properly. Check for vacuum leaks also if nothing else has changed since the last test that passed. All that said, if the bus has been throwing unburned fuel and lots of CO at the cat for awhile it may have damaged it, but that is secondary.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: