Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

Magnaflow comments please
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

off-topic post deleted by me.

Last edited by Wasted youth on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
All you classic car owners in Cali can thank Governor "Moon Beam"

Bzzzzt, wrong. We have "The Gubernator" to thank for the fact that CA no longer has a "sliding window" for smog exemption. Use to be that there was one. Arnie put a stop to that in 2004 and fixed the cutoff year at 1975.

Sorry, Steve. On-topic Magnaflow comment: Personally I would prefer that they simply come up with a cat that would bolt in place of the stock cat, without also having to buy into their "performance" muffler to hang off the back of it. Not interested in making my Westy any louder than it is. But if that's what they decide to build, I guess I'm in, as it will still be a damn sight better than the mess I have back there now.
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
Hoody wrote:
All you classic car owners in Cali can thank Governor "Moon Beam"

Bzzzzt, wrong. We have "The Gubernator" to thank for the fact that CA no longer has a "sliding window" for smog exemption. Use to be that there was one. Arnie put a stop to that in 2004 and fixed the cutoff year at 1975.

Sorry, Steve. On-topic Magnaflow comment: Personally I would prefer that they simply come up with a cat that would bolt in place of the stock cat, without also having to buy into their "performance" muffler to hang off the back of it. Not interested in making my Westy any louder than it is. But if that's what they decide to build, I guess I'm in, as it will still be a damn sight better than the mess I have back there now.

I'd like a cat available too with a stock exhaust but based on what is rated T1 in their catalog it will be a challenge to get anything in that space unless they want to do like Emico or the original VW ones.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

Not Magnaflow but I thought this would add to the thread.

My welder returned from vacation so today I was able to get him to weld the flanges onto the universal CAT I bought for the 1979 California bus I've been working on. Still need to install it later today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Not Magnaflow but I thought this would add to the thread.

My welder returned from vacation so today I was able to get him to weld the flanges onto the universal CAT I bought for the 1979 California bus I've been working on. Still need to install it later today.

Good job, 1979 California bay, and later California Vanagon owners are lucky because they have room for a straight cat. Earlier bays and Federal Vanagons that solution won't work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
porky79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

Man those pics are awesome!!! Did the cat fit right in as planned? Those pics are exactly what Magnaflow needs to see since they obviously never looked at a Bus exhaust. I am still in the same boat with my PC-1 cat so I hope your Walker works out. I have been to three different smog shops since my original visit and every one of the shops said I had to have a T-1 cat. Even the referee told me I had to have a T-1. Make sure you point out the PC-1 cat to the smog tech before they smog it.
Magnaflow lied to CARB and to everyone that ever considered installing one of their cats in a Bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

porky79 wrote:
Man those pics are awesome!!! Did the cat fit right in as planned? Those pics are exactly what Magnaflow needs to see since they obviously never looked at a Bus exhaust. I am still in the same boat with my PC-1 cat so I hope your Walker works out. I have been to three different smog shops since my original visit and every one of the shops said I had to have a T-1 cat. Even the referee told me I had to have a T-1. Make sure you point out the PC-1 cat to the smog tech before they smog it.
Magnaflow lied to CARB and to everyone that ever considered installing one of their cats in a Bus.

have your ref look again. PC-1 was included recently on the CARB web page, at least for some bays. I suspect it was a result of my explaining the situation to CARB, and situations like yours. I had to use firefox on the CARB page.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

And finally. CAT is installed

1979 California

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
BusjeCA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

I failed NOx in my FEDERAL 79 Bus. I sprung for the Rockmountainwesty (http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/Vanagon_80_83_Air_Cooled_Parts_s/256.htm) exhaust ($600) and bolted the MagnaFlow 339004 ($183) in there. It fits like a glove. Set the AFR at 14.7 (2000 rpm 2nd and 3rd gear). Passed CA smog with flying colors.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I forgot that modern three-way cats also reduce NOx, so for a second I thought you spent a little more money than necessary. I'm glad that's an option for now; I just wish we could keep the sound, look, and economy of the stock setup for those that want it.

Did the bus or vanagon ever come with a three-way cat? And is that what Magnaflow is working with? Excuse my limited knowledge on the subject; just trying to fill some holes in my brain.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusjeCA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

The 79 fed bus did not have a three way cat, but an old style 2-way cat.
The crossover and muffler from rockymountainwesty came with a 49 state Cat, that had the Lambda probe bung so I could set the AFR with my LM-2. Then I bolted in this cat (http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-339004-Stainless-Universal-Catalytic/dp/B00BF2YUB2), the only one that is legal for my van, since it was classified as a truck when I moved it from Seattle.

All connections are 2 inch lap joints. Lost stock, but it looks pretty good, and sounds close to "normal". The old pipes are in my basement to be reinstalled when the van is finally grandfathered in....
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

just trying to fill some holes in my brain.

Need a big shovel for that job Rolling Eyes
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Did the bus or vanagon ever come with a three-way cat? And is that what Magnaflow is working with? Excuse my limited knowledge on the subject; just trying to fill some holes in my brain.

Robbie, all CA-spec busses and Vanagons from '79-'83 and all water-cooled Vanagons had 3-way cats and oxygen sensors and the "lambda" closed-loop feedback system to work with them. O2 sensors and 3-way cats are complementary technologies. Wikipedia has a fairly good article on the subject.

All of the available aftermarket cats for our vehicles are 3-way cats. If you inquire about a 2-way cat with one of the manufacturers, you'll get a rather huffy response that "2-way cats are only for diesel engines", which may be true for modern cars, but wasn't the case back in the mid-70's. It's like they've completely forgotten about the history of automotive catalytic converters.

Which brings to light something that I find a bit confusing. In other forums concerning more modern cars that I've read, there is considerable consternation about missing, failed or failing O2 sensors causing a cat to self-destruct or melt down within "seconds" due to an over-rich mixture. Yet here we have several members (Steve, Richard Atwell, and now BusjeCA) who have successfully bolted on a 3-way cat to their non-Lambda-equipped busses, tuned their AFR to 14.7, and obtained enviably low emissions numbers. Not just once with a fresh cat, but in the case of Steve and ratwell, repeatedly. So maybe modern 3-way cats are a lot more resilient than is commonly believed.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by BusjeCA's success with the RMW setup. Last spring when I was going through the exercise of getting my van smogged, I contacted RMW about the viability of using a CARB-compliant cat with their system, and was told unequivocally that the CARB-compliant cats were too large to fit in the space available. I wasn't about to drop $600 just to try and prove them wrong, so I went with a homebrew solution. Kudos to BusjeCA for taking that leap of faith and figuring out how to make it work. Nice to know that is an option when my crossover pipe finally rusts away to uselessness.

BusjeCA, how tight were the clearances for the 339004? I note that you're in Berkeley. Any chance we could meet up sometime somewhere in the East Bay to compare notes? I'm in little 'ol Livermore.
'72 Super Beetle

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusjeCA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

[quote="SlowLane"]
asiab3 wrote:

BusjeCA, how tight were the clearances for the 339004? I note that you're in Berkeley. Any chance we could meet up sometime somewhere in the East Bay to compare notes? I'm in little 'ol Livermore.

I'll post some images this weekend, but the 339004 is at a 40 degree upward angle, at the front just clearing the downward collector pipes going to the the crossover pipe. At this position the cat clears the metal skirt in the back by about a centimeter, and does not stick out. I have the heat shield over the cat/muffler in place, which is necessary I guess. The heat shield on the cat is still pointing largely towards the engine (and that meltable seal), so that is good. I thought about putting the smaller cat (that came with the pipes) in there until the next test, but I feel good about putting so little NOx into the air, so I'll see how it does in two years. Besides, it is so big it cannot add much back pressure to the exhaust and not robbing the engine of much power.

I welded the O2 bung onto the EGR pipe connector for the AFR. This pipe is for the vanagon, so useless for the bus. The EGR will never work again on my car anyway that was already gone before I moved to CA.

Let's meet up sometime. I spend time on KCCR with N6003C so there or Walnut Creek would be good.

Cheerio,

Henk

Last edited by BusjeCA on Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

On one occasion while cleaning carbon out of a friends 80's buick engine, the misfiring caused the cat to glow red. In another case a friend kept going thru catalytics every 300 to 400 miles and the shop got really pissed at her because they could not find the issue. To help her with the issue and the shop that started blaming her for their failures, I followed every wire in the engine bay around the system to see if something was broken and found a sensor that someone had replaced before she bought the car. They had cut, reversed and taped the wires like the factory loom, the reversing grounded the system and made the car think the engine was always cold, adding more fuel. Once the sensor wires were corrected the car stopped damaging catalytic converters. There is no doubt that too rich a mixture can cause them to overheat.

When I set my VW mixture up, I made sure that a little bit of oxygen remained in all tests. This insures that the catalytic is not being fed raw hydrocarbons which will way overheat it. The catalytic runs around 14.7 except on the freeway and WOT. As one might guess, 65 mph in a bus on the freeway is a heavy load so it is almost WOT. VW added an O2 sensor in 1979 to the California model. They also changed the exhaust flanges so there was more contact area, and the heat exchangers do a better job of carrying heat away from the heads thru those flanges. The 1979 models do a better job with cooling the heads although the leaner mixture makes more power and heat than the 1976-1978 models. By the early 1980's VW knew they could not meet smog requirements and the consumer's desires for more power with air cooled engines.
BusjeCA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

Here are the clearances for the RMW with the 339004. My apologies to expose you to my welding skills.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

BusjeCA wrote:
Here are the clearances for the RMW with the 339004. My apologies to expose you to my welding skills.

great job 1979 Federal with trapezoidal exchanger flanges.
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

Yes, very neat job. The view from the back looks particularly tidy.
'72 Super Beetle

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

Should have the prototype Magnaflow system sometime this week to do a trial fit and take photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: