Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
it appears to be the same. I retire today and hope to be driving mine around and have it tested sometime soon.

We thank you for your service. Now drink deeply from the deep well of the Millenials W9 witholdings and savor the #timetogetmymoneyback
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Congrats on your retirement!
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Congrats! Now you'll have time to get your electronics bench set up (and all of the other put off projects...) Laughing

yep. Technically I come in on Nov 13 for a few hours to finish paperwork, and Nov 14th is the office party, turn in ID's etc.. But for all practical purposed 7 minutes from now Ö .

BTW Telford - you have no idea how much you have helped me and others here. Without your expertise this forum would not have accomplished as much as it has. There is no other car forum where the people get as much support from so many members as this forum. So many people have helped me too. Small things - I once had two small odd plastic pieces left over after a door rebuild - several folks recognized them as part of the vent window assembly.

*You can do it right the first time, or do it over, the choice is yours. It is a free country. As to brakes, steering, tires, axles etc. - you may only get one chance at doing those right.

* VW Buses and VW cars share many of the same systems but if you haven't owned a bus and maintained it for awhile, you really don't know how different it is.

1971 (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Congrats! Now you'll have time to get your electronics bench set up (and all of the other put off projects...) Laughing

'Experience' is the ability to recognize a mistake when you're making it again - Franklin P. Jones

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research - Steven Wright

In theory, theory works in practice; in practice, it doesn't - William T. Harbaugh

All models are wrong; some are useful - George Box

More VW electrical at http://flowcon.us/td/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Quote:
congrats. now you can travel and fix peoples buses for them Very Happy

nada. Going to let the sun wake me up each morning.

*You can do it right the first time, or do it over, the choice is yours. It is a free country. As to brakes, steering, tires, axles etc. - you may only get one chance at doing those right.

* VW Buses and VW cars share many of the same systems but if you haven't owned a bus and maintained it for awhile, you really don't know how different it is.

1971 (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I retire today....

Applause Dancing

did you leave a big steaming mud snake on your bosses computer?

congrats. now you can travel and fix peoples buses for them Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
it appears to be the same. I retire today and hope to be driving mine around and have it tested sometime soon.

congratulations on making it to your retirement! enjoy your fruits!

Thanks

1971 (sold)
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

congratulations on making it to your retirement! enjoy your fruits!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

1971 (sold)
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

A bit late to the game, but here are some photos of the test blank that Magnaflow sent to Steve fitted onto my '81 Vanagon.

You can see that there isn't a great deal of wiggle room between the cat and the crossover and the cat and the rear apron. Hopefully the diameter of the final product won't be any larger than the test blank.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A couple of shots of the O2 sensor mounting. I had requested that the sensor location be clocked a couple of degrees counter-clockwise, as it's pretty tight there.

A couple more shots showing how it looks from the rear.

And, oh yeah: that rusty crossover pipe? Believe it or not, I had it ceramic coated just after picking it up at CIP's warehouse in Delta BC way back when. The rusty spots started showing up just a couple of months after I mounted it. So much for space-age coatings... Rolling Eyes
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." Internet RFC 1925

Last edited by SlowLane on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Had a reply from Magnaflow telling me it's 6-8 weeks out.

Cat for Christmas?

double that number and add 10. Big biz is anything but quick. I would say mid March
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Had a reply from Magnaflow telling me it's 6-8 weeks out.

Cat for Christmas?

'76 Bay
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
We will offer this when available. I got my hopes up when Magnaflow showed two on hand, only to be told that they were early production that did not meet QC and weren't actually available, and that there is no firm ETA yet.

I believe you BusDepot. Maybe they made mine and shipped it to me so I would stop asking about it. Will be mounting it soon and will go smog it and send the results to them. I should have the time after Nov 1 when I retire.

1971 (sold)
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

We will offer this when available. I got my hopes up when Magnaflow showed two on hand, only to be told that they were early production that did not meet QC and weren't actually available, and that there is no firm ETA yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Not yet available from Magnaflow according to Planet Magnaflow. Apparently they have no date when it will be in production.

'76 Bay
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Oh hell! Laughing I fuggup all the time 🤪 !
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Right, I screwed up. I mis-read the part number in your thread. So I thought the OíReillyís site already had these. PN 3391004 is what they actually have... not 3391449.

I donít care for most CAD drawings, so I looked passed that. ivwshane asked about the CAD drawing, which prompted me to re-visit this. Thatís when I discovered my goof.

it's unlike you to make a mistake. See that as a friendly comment and NOT sarcastic.

1971 (sold)
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Right, I screwed up. I mis-read the part number in your thread. So I thought the OíReillyís site already had these. PN 3391004 is what they actually have... not 3391449.

I donít care for most CAD drawings, so I looked passed that. ivwshane asked about the CAD drawing, which prompted me to re-visit this. Thatís when I discovered my goof.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Yeah, it looks generic CAD-flavored crap... and I just read that this P/N has a note that ď Catalytic Converter Universal; 2 Inch; California Pre-OBDII; OE Specifications; Cutting And Welding Required During Installation; C.A.R.B. Executive Order Number: D-193-132 ď

Part No. 3391004

So... I goofed! Thatís still not the right one! We will have to wait a little more. I misread the updated Part Number. My apologies!

what are you referring to Steve? The cat they made which started this thread fits anything that bolts on with a 3 bolt flange and has the tube that the muffler slides into using the special donut clamp. Technically it would fit a catalytic Beetle BUT it is listed for TRUCKS which is how we are able to use it. Lyle and I test fitted several generations the prototype shells to both my bus and his Vanagon before we were satisfied with the fit. This will not work on the double flanged 1979 and later California bus and air cooled Vanagon. Those models can still be found elsewhere also, and aftermarket weld on solutions are available. This catalytic fits 95% of the buses that need a CARB II cat to smog.

The one in the O'Reily ad is a generic cat that does not have the offset needed. This is what the new on will look like when bolted on. The photos are of the prototype shell bolted in - I haven't had time to install the fully functional one. It is on my to-do list, probably when I replace the heads after retiring Nov 1.

SGKent wrote:
Magnaflow cat shell mounted in 1977 bay to see how it fits. I would think this should fit any 1976 - 1978 all; and 1979 - 1982 Federal air cooled. It is a little tighter fit OD but it does fit and bus owners can pass smog with it - then that is what is needed. I would speculate that the larger core will lower emissions, and reduce back pressure a little, letting the engine run cooler.

1971 (sold)
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks generic CAD-flavored crap... and I just read that this P/N has a note that ď Catalytic Converter Universal; 2 Inch; California Pre-OBDII; OE Specifications; Cutting And Welding Required During Installation; C.A.R.B. Executive Order Number: D-193-132 ď

Part No. 3391004

So... I goofed! Thatís still not the right one! We will have to wait a little more. I misread the updated Part Number. My apologies!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: