Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Today 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

And there you have it! Cheaper than when I bought mine from Emico several years ago, too!

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/california-42..._10047=Yes
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I might add, if you do a search by car type and model year etc on the ARB site there are a bunch of different universal models from different manufacturers that come up under 1977. Most of those don't even fit in the area of the car alloted for the exhaust. That said, those don't come up under 1976 either so I suspect there is some kind of a flaw in the ARB process for a 1976 VW bus. They may be missing something in their records on it - keep in mind that there are actually 2 different 1976 VW bus emission systems. One is based on the 1975 model year system that is exempt and the other on the 1977 and later system. You may need to get a referee to put a sticker on it that says treat this bus as a 1977. The EO is for a truck and that is the main thing. The bus is treated as a truck and not a car. That is what brought this all about - ARB would not allow us to use the car catalytic converters except on a one by one visit to the referee. Some people were allowed to use car catalytic converters, and some were not.

* VW Buses and VW cars share many of the same systems but if you haven't owned a bus and maintained it for awhile, you really don't know how different it is.

Bus Engine Cooling Issues? https://kentcomputer.com/77VW/BusEngineCooling.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
I read the ARB EO a little more closely and certification begins for model year 1977. Does this mean I cannot use it to comply with a '76?

Tom - that is likely a clerical error but I can't speak for BAR or ARB. You would have to ask a smog guy how he would interpret it. I'd print the PDF and ask your smog guy what he would do. I suspect worst case is you could say you have a 1977 engine in your bus.

* VW Buses and VW cars share many of the same systems but if you haven't owned a bus and maintained it for awhile, you really don't know how different it is.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I read the ARB EO a little more closely and certification begins for model year 1977. Does this mean I cannot use it to comply with a '76?

'76 Bay
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Nice!

I am grateful for the effort you put in to make this work Steve.

Robbie - I need one please!

'76 Bay
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

came in today. Looks good. I'll test first chance I get and take some photos. Just from eyeballing it, it should fit as well or better than when we tested- and it looks like the catalyst cross section is larger so that should reduce back pressure, lower temps and make more power. Might have a more mellow sound too I am hoping.

Steve

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Pretty exciting stuff! Just hope they don’t screw something in the process from drawings to production. Kinda like KlokkerKrap...
asiab3
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Woohoo!!

I have two extra clamps I can list in the classifieds if anybody is searching...

Robbie

[quote=“sunnydog”]...the sliding door is the party entrance...[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Almost 3 years but it is done. Magnaflow contacted me this morning to let me know the part is now active and in production. I'll post the new corrected part number later today along with a photo of one mounted on my bus as soon as they send me the sample to test. Since Lyle and I already fitted these there should be no reason they would not fit.

The only caveat I can tell some of you who want one, better start looking for the factory exhaust clamp as they can be harder to locate these days.

edit: new part number is 3391449. It isn't in any of the online catalogs yet but maybe someone like BusDepot Bus Depot will be able to order it and have one shipped. I don't have a price but it is ARB certified as a direct fit for both Vanagon and Transporter air cooled stock exhausts that take a Federal one flange catalytic converter. Should perform better than many others too.

Here is the current late 2017 CARB II executive order showing that Transporters and air cooled vanagons are covered, and this is one can be legally sold and installed in California.

https://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-193-132.pdf

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:32 am; edited 7 times in total
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I suspect it would be a typo. Once I see the EO I could check the ARB site.

EO is D-193-132. It's all live on the ARB site. Doesn't look like a typo to me.

'76 Bay
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I suspect it would be a typo. Once I see the EO I could check the ARB site.

BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Let's hope It's a typo or an oversight. Pray
(sold - but not forgotten)
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

Well it looks like good news for some. Magnaflow's site shows that part number 339449 has now changed to 3391449 here: https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=3391449&searchterm=3391449

But it only shows compatibility with 1977-1979 'Transporters'. Nothing for '75 or '76

ARB shows these as approved for 1977-1979 too: https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts

A royal PITA that they didn't bother certifying it for '75 and '76 too when it's exactly the same part. Crying or Very sad

'76 Bay
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I am told the EO has been issued by CARB. Hope to have the first one to test within a few weeks.

That is fantastic news!

'76 Bay
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

I am told the EO has been issued by CARB. Hope to have the first one to test within a few weeks.

BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Have reason to believe that it may be approved. Will know more in 24 - 48 hours.

Any update?
(sold - but not forgotten)
BusjeCA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76 - 79 Buses & 80 - 82 Vana Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Did the bus or vanagon ever come with a three-way cat? And is that what Magnaflow is working with? Excuse my limited knowledge on the subject; just trying to fill some holes in my brain.

Robbie, all CA-spec busses and Vanagons from '79-'83 and all water-cooled Vanagons had 3-way cats and oxygen sensors and the "lambda" closed-loop feedback system to work with them. O2 sensors and 3-way cats are complementary technologies. Wikipedia has a fairly good article on the subject.

All of the available aftermarket cats for our vehicles are 3-way cats. If you inquire about a 2-way cat with one of the manufacturers, you'll get a rather huffy response that "2-way cats are only for diesel engines", which may be true for modern cars, but wasn't the case back in the mid-70's. It's like they've completely forgotten about the history of automotive catalytic converters.

Which brings to light something that I find a bit confusing. In other forums concerning more modern cars that I've read, there is considerable consternation about missing, failed or failing O2 sensors causing a cat to self-destruct or melt down within "seconds" due to an over-rich mixture. Yet here we have several members (Steve, Richard Atwell, and now BusjeCA) who have successfully bolted on a 3-way cat to their non-Lambda-equipped busses, tuned their AFR to 14.7, and obtained enviably low emissions numbers. Not just once with a fresh cat, but in the case of Steve and ratwell, repeatedly. So maybe modern 3-way cats are a lot more resilient than is commonly believed.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by BusjeCA's success with the RMW setup. Last spring when I was going through the exercise of getting my van smogged, I contacted RMW about the viability of using a CARB-compliant cat with their system, and was told unequivocally that the CARB-compliant cats were too large to fit in the space available. I wasn't about to drop $600 just to try and prove them wrong, so I went with a homebrew solution. Kudos to BusjeCA for taking that leap of faith and figuring out how to make it work. Nice to know that is an option when my crossover pipe finally rusts away to uselessness.

BusjeCA, how tight were the clearances for the 339004? I note that you're in Berkeley. Any chance we could meet up sometime somewhere in the East Bay to compare notes? I'm in little 'ol Livermore.

I’m happy to report that BusjeCA passed smog once again with the setup described. The NOX was a bit high but I had it running too lean it turned out. It would have been better with the AFR a bit lower. Nevertheless, it looks like the magnaflow/RMW setup is good for a long time.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Have reason to believe that it may be approved. Will know more in 24 - 48 hours.

Thank you for staying on top of this over the past few years. It would be great to finally see this come to market.

Join the IAC Facebook group here!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnaflow Orange Co. CA 76-79 Buses & 80-82 Vanagons CAT Reply with quote

nice to know. He never answers my inquires as to status. I have maybe $1500 of my own money trying to help them help the VW community. Maybe he is too busy enjoying the new house.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: