Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dumpy bus going 2.5L
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

don't work for free...ever. go walk your cat

Hey I resemble that comment......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol this thread got hilarious.

I'm so confused by a company pricing out and selling s product they don't have yet....

Can we go back to more videos of skills buses running?
Not a Priest.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...the thread would go sideways eventually

Yeah that's what seems to happen when you build buses whose rear ends can do the same...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reality is 150 man hours on a conversion is really 400 billable hours in service work/diag.

Sounds conservative if you include all the countless 5 minutes here to find a better looking clip or 10 minutes there to clean something that won't work better because it's clean but just drives you nuts if it's not, or removing a functional wire or hose and rerouting it just because it looked funny. And then there's the hours researching how some odd part works so you don't F it up, or even more hours laying awake at night pondering the best way to engineer some part or system. There's no bonus pay for OCD.

Been there done that, it looks so easy from afar, but then again I wouldn't want a customer hanging out every single minute getting in my way either.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guanella74 wrote:
Hey @Skillz - Travis with Modern Bay here. http://modernbay.co

Nothing available quite yet. Keep an eye out though - coming soon!

guanella74 wrote:

I didn't jump in here and plug MBC

I rest my case...

and let me make something clear as crystal...Subaru conversions are not the scope of my business

Skills, don't post any info or pics of you secrets. Dudes like this Travis guy will steel your ideas you've worked hard on and use/sell tham as their own. We all know the inter-web is a ruthless place. BTW, nice work!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
guanella74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@skills and @richparker, guys, what's your beef?

Just do your thing, and enjoy it. I'm not trying to cramp your style, steal ideas, or ninny-nanny with you - to the contrary, at every point I'm telling you that I dig what you're doing and am glad you're doing it.

Is it that I am building a company doing something I'm passionate about, like you?

That I have a website that I'm live-developing so it isn't fully functional or has products no one can buy yet?

I hate it when build threads I'm following turn sideways with pages of cruft like this. I vote that we all just move on; sound good? I removed my own references to MBC so as not to offend you, and will continue watching this thread and your builds progress. Nice work, keep it up, and please, lay down your arms.

I'd rather spend my time helping our community of Bay owners as a whole than get caught up in threads like this, and I'm sure you would too.

Cheers, and again, keep up the good work @skills

1974 Westy CampMobile - the OG!
1979 Transporter
1979 Transporter
1977 Transporter
1974 Transporter
1973 Transporter
1971 Westy
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:

don't work for free...ever. go walk your cat

Hey I resemble that comment......

^^^^^ that was eurocars 'code' to go out back and sit in a customer/inventory car and smoke a bowl.....eurocars plus, home of the work free drug place

busdaddy wrote:
the reality is 150 man hours on a conversion is really 400 billable hours in service work/diag.

Sounds conservative if you include all the countless 5 minutes here to find a better looking clip or 10 minutes there to clean something that won't work better because it's clean but just drives you nuts if it's not, or removing a functional wire or hose and rerouting it just because it looked funny. And then there's the hours researching how some odd part works so you don't F it up, or even more hours laying awake at night pondering the best way to engineer some part or system. There's no bonus pay for OCD.

Been there done that, it looks so easy from afar, but then again I wouldn't want a customer hanging out every single minute getting in my way either.

we really need to have a beer...

richparker wrote:

Skills, don't post any info or pics of you secrets. Dudes like this Travis guy will steel your ideas you've worked hard on and use/sell tham as their own. We all know the inter-web is a ruthless place. BTW, nice work!

thanks...I think... I never thought anyone was going to steal anything, and if they did, they would have no idea how to make it work. the reason I don't show much is because I just get flooded with p/m's on "how did you get such and such to work" or if i post it here all the internet rock stars chime in with their 0.02 on how "they would do it" well, fucking do it...I hate talkers/dreamers and applaud the do-er's

lately I have gotten a rash of "how much does it cost" inquires...pick up the mother*cking phone and call me...stop hiding behind texts/emails....I spent over an hour on the phone with a gent and went over everything...will he commit? don't know...but there is more emotion on a phone call, and often that "AHHH HAAA!!!" moment you don't get by sending emails... he seemed like an awesome cat and I hope to work with him someday....

can we now

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well....

was hoping to possibly start the bus today, however i hit a snag. a big, huge heart dropping, ass puckering hammer throwing, load the .357 snag

i went to torque the crank pulley on and turning the engine over by hand it stopped dead. back up, and stopped dead again Evil or Very Mad

the noise i heard was that of a flywheel grinding into a bell housing. now you may be thinking "jeez skillit, how the hell did you miss that?" well, i did, but i didn't...what?!?!

when sending the engine in, i turned it over to drop the splines in the clutch, SOP... and i grabbed the 2 lower nuts and moved on. it was not until i had the hanger and all 4 nuts socked down did i have the problem.

i felt my blood go on a slow simmer. why the fuck do i have these issues with customer builds? wanting to put my face into the bench grinder i sat back for a minute. i analyzed the situation. throwing a hammer, though would feel good wouldn't do anything productive. .357? too many holes to weld up.....

having heard that noise before, i went for it. just a little more pressure than normal on the breaker bar, i got the engine to turn....chhhaa....chhhhaa...chaaaa...

well, out comes the starter and my magic throttle body white out...

turns out the rivet heads on the pressure plate are a red one too long. out comes the vacuum, a load of rags and the grinder. after touching up all 6, no more issues. i bet they are .006-.010 too tall. just enough to induce a mild stroke. can't anyone build shit right? i mean come on...it's not like the KEP stuff is cheap.

so, i have a handful of thing left to make it run. making it run and making it to the finish line are 2 separate things, but i would like to hear what she sounds like..

the exhaust laid out WAY different than the early bays. it took some yankee ingenuity to make the hanger set up

almost there

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guanella74 wrote:
@richparker, what's your beef?

No beef with you, beef with people stealing ideas.

Exhaust looks awesome skills!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on the exhaust. Is that stainless? Looks real sweet. All this Subaru talk for me thinking of pulling the old 1.8 out of my bus.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XXX!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mild steel on the exhaust. stainless...meh, too many issues with cracking

craig, if you are happy with the I4, run it. but honestly these develop more power n/a than a 1.8 does. in reality, these weigh about what the air cooled boat anchors weigh, and with a shortened pan, they floor jack in and out too Very Happy

no issues getting it in/out like you would a beetle. actually, there is LOADS of room back there.

but this is just a fad, like lowering a bay

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the exhaust and the alternator bracket. No ugly power steering pump bracket in your bays. Nice work.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. i like to clean up as much as possible. i trimmed the nub off for the a/c tensioner, but other than that you can still retain the option for a/c.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turns out the rivet heads on the pressure plate are a red one too long. out comes the vacuum, a load of rags and the grinder. after touching up all 6, no more issues. i bet they are .006-.010 too tall. just enough to induce a mild stroke. can't anyone build shit right? i mean come on...it's not like the KEP stuff is cheap.

I would hope you get some kind of compensation from KEP for that F-up. It's not like they haven't been doing this for some time now.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, after some thought I am wondering if over the years the bell housing to engine surface just didn't get the death cleaned out of it removing too much material...

I had no choice but to clean off the paint on the mating surface from the rebuild....so I cleaned it, the rebuilder cleaned it and there is no telling how many times over the years it may have been dressed up when an engine was out or what have you

I mean, it was just enough to rub. I don't think that there should be any reason for compensation. besides, it's all custom shit and stuff happens.

if any of you out there in internet land think for 1 minute this stuff is plug and play you need to come back to reality. snag's happen and you have to work around them.

besides, I have given up complaining to vendors. they just don't care. I have come to terms with the fact that everything needs a tweek....it just adds up for the customer and frustrates the hell out of me, but there is nothing I can do except figure out a work around and keep the project moving forward.

so, people are not just paying for a swap, they are paying for experience and problem solving skillz. I bet most would have pulled the engine back out.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if any of you out there in internet land think for 1 minute this stuff is plug and play you need to come back to reality. snag's happen and you have to work around them.

^^^ THIS ^^^

The instructions for my adapter didn't mention whether the input shaft needed trimming on the '72-'75 002 transaxle. I called KEP for clarification,was told there wasn't trimming needed .. and had to pull the engine back to trim 3/8" off the input shaft because it was bottoming out in the crankshaft. Pain in the ass...
thebusandus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good skills. Tristessa, mine didn't need trimming, I'm surprised yours did, all the research I did said it wouldn't either.. 75 002, 97 ej22

Panamerican Highway - 2014-2017
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiVo wrote:
Looking good skills. Tristessa, mine didn't need trimming, I'm surprised yours did, all the research I did said it wouldn't either.. 75 002, 97 ej22

Different engine, I'm running a VW inline 4-banger (ABA 2.0L block, JH big-valve head)

While the details are different, the trials & tribulations of swapping a non-stock water-cooled engine into these vehicles are similar no matter what you install. Cooling system, building mounts, making everything fit ..
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super clean install Skillz! Awesome! And... same colour bus as ours... tempting! tempting!! More reliable? Quieter? You're killin' me... Smile
Keep up the great work!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: