Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let me "WHINE"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
I guess that's my point. Would we, or should we, see these same failures on heavy 2WD van, or is this a Syncro Transmission specific problem?

One big difference is the Syncro has a granny gear, this can put much higher loads on R&P, pinion and carrier bearings. And at the forward end the low gear case might increase loads on the mainshaft bearing.

I cant imagine much difference on the other components. I've only seen inside a syncro tranny once, and never inside a 2WD tranny, so don't take my word. I'm just offering these talking points here for someone who actually KNOWS.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
gears wrote:

I'm contemplating trying out a newly available VERY inexpensive replacement 4.86 Syncro R&P in a stock Syncro van. ..

This will be very interesting to many of us! I'm sure this will warrant its own thread.
Looking forward to learning more. 8)

I've just learned (via another phone call) what I needed to know. These are now off the table as an option. The quality just isn't high enough. However another call earlier today (from the guy who purchased my gear business in 2009) revealed that my old gear cutter may be manufacturing R&Ps by the middle of next year.

Unfortunatley, you will not get 100K from the popular aftermarket R&P. These are heat-treated at a small nearby facility, rather than the world-class heat treater who's a bit further away and a bit more expensive .. so we consumers get an R&P (for around 1,400) that's worn out in 30K.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:

I've just learned (via another phone call) what I needed to know. These are now off the table as an option. The quality just isn't high enough. However another call earlier today (from the guy who purchased my gear business in 2009) revealed that my old gear cutter may be manufacturing R&Ps by the middle of next year.

Your business in Boulder? (Matt M.?) interesting!

gears wrote:
Unfortunately, you will not get 100K from the popular aftermarket R&P. These are heat-treated at a small nearby facility, rather than the world-class heat treater who's a bit further away and a bit more expensive .. so we consumers get an R&P (for around 1,400) that's worn out in 30K.

^^ that is an unfortunate bit of insight - booooo! Confused Might be better to 'gamble' with the used OEM set... Question

I wonder if there is any way to get the aftermarket R&P in an un-treated state and shop it to a better outfitted heat treat facility?

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gears wrote:
photogdave wrote:
gears wrote:

I'm contemplating trying out a newly available VERY inexpensive replacement 4.86 Syncro R&P in a stock Syncro van. ..

This will be very interesting to many of us! I'm sure this will warrant its own thread.
Looking forward to learning more. Cool

Unfortunatley, you will not get 100K from the popular aftermarket R&P. These are heat-treated at a small nearby facility, rather than the world-class heat treater who's a bit further away and a bit more expensive .. so we consumers get an R&P (for around 1,400) that's worn out in 30K.

Hmmm, is it safe to assume that the new 5:43 R&Ps (and other ratios) are in the same boat, or do we know?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Hmmm, is it safe to assume that the new 5:43 R&Ps (and other ratios) are in the same boat, or do we know?

I hope not, I am running the same ratio. Shocked
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news on a $1400 R&P. Shocked Only another 30k miles?

I plan to scope the R&P each time I drop the gear oil. Hopefully I can catch anything that is going awry early.

Please Mendeola, make us a strong transaxle for our Syncro, please... Boo hoo!

http://www.transworks.biz/mendeola.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that sucks! Gamble on the original or go for the 30,000 new unit from W.... Disappointing

gears wrote:
photogdave wrote:
gears wrote:

Looking forward to learning more. Cool

xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

I plan to scope the R&P each time I drop the gear oil. Hopefully I can catch anything that is going awry early.

CRIPES! It is threads like this that this that discourages me from wanting to drive my Syncro Westy, the one Syncro I have with the stock Syncro transmission. It adds a bit of stress just waiting for the gear box to start making noise or get hard to shift, then what the Hell are you supposed to do? Spend a small fortune for a rebuild and countdown the miles until you get to do it again? My Syncro with the Audi transmission on the other hand it fun, I can beat the Hell out of it off road and hit the highway at 75mph for hours without even thinking about what the transmission temps are up to. If it decides to go bad, a good used one can be had for a couple hundred bucks.
Does anyone else feel it takes the enjoyment out of driving their Syncro or am I the only one who can't be shelling out $6k+ for a transmission?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we KNOW that the aftermarket R&Ps are 30k units?

It certainly makes sense that the transmission should be big enough for the engine. The Subaru trans project would be a good one too.

How much are the parts alone, in a $6000 Syncro gearbox rebuild? Does anybody have a parts invoice they could publish?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stock tranny syncros are fine driving 75MPH for hours on end for years now but if this tranny with new R&P and AL case/gear carrier and upgrades craps out I will be a unhappy camper.

I wouldn't accept a replacement option that doesn't have a G gear or lower and a locker if Weddle made something though.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It disappoints me on so many levels. First, why sell a new R and P that will only last 30,000 miles? Why isn't there more disclosure from the rebuilders on the issues with used R and Ps. A lot of very confusing choices...

xoo00oox wrote:
Syncro Jael wrote:

CRIPES! It is threads like this that this that discourages me from wanting to drive my Syncro Westy, the one Syncro I have with the stock Syncro transmission. It adds a bit of stress just waiting for the gear box to start making noise or get hard to shift, then what the Hell are you supposed to do? Spend a small fortune for a rebuild and countdown the miles until you get to do it again? My Syncro with the Audi transmission on the other hand it fun, I can beat the Hell out of it off road and hit the highway at 75mph for hours without even thinking about what the transmission temps are up to. If it decides to go bad, a good used one can be had for a couple hundred bucks.
Does anyone else feel it takes the enjoyment out of driving their Syncro or am I the only one who can't be shelling out $6k+ for a transmission?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Syncro Jael wrote:

Dude, I'm in the process of (temporarily) converting a Syncro to 2WD, 'cause the owner can't stomach the $4k+ needed to make his trans w/dead R&P function. If you had a kit ready to convert a Quattro drivetrain with a reversed 1.8t/TDI, I'm about 92% sure he'd pull the trigger on that option. I'm also sure dozens of others would be falling all over themselves to give you their monies. Please help them to give you monies. Think of the children.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
I guess that's my point. Would we, or should we, see these same failures on heavy 2WD van, or is this a Syncro Transmission specific problem?

One big difference is the Syncro has a granny gear, this can put much higher loads on R&P, pinion and carrier bearings. And at the forward end the low gear case might increase loads on the mainshaft bearing.

Well, I do have a Syncro tranny set aside for my 2WD, so would I be in the same boat? Actually I would't be, because I doubt that I will be in granny gear often, but spinning the rear wheels more often is certainly a possibility.

gears wrote:
[. so we consumers get an R&P (for around 1,400) that's worn out in 30K.
"That sucks Exclamation " My out loud comment when I read this.

Farfrumwork wrote:

I wonder if there is any way to get the aftermarket R&P in an un-treated state and shop it to a better outfitted heat treat facility?

Not an entirely crazy idea, but the quality of the steel has an effect of the possible quality you can get out of the finished product, but I certainly know of places that could do a good job.

Syncro Jael wrote:

Not trolling here, but you can buy a competent Toyota 4WD for what you will have into that drivetrain. I know that van is a better camper without question-that why we own them. I know of at least 3 Syncro owners who moved to the Toyota platform because they wanted to venture to remote places, like Mexico and South America, that I have conversed with on other forums.
One had built his up, at professional shops, to do such. After tranny problems on a trip, he moved into a Toyota Tundra and 4WheelCamper. If he were to ever see this thread, he certainly would be glad he moved on, even though the truck camper is less convenient.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my old gear box is still here in the shop. I went out and took a video of the backlash. I don't have the tools to measure it.

Link

AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

If you had a kit ready to convert a Quattro drivetrain with a reversed 1.8t/TDI, I'm about 92% sure he'd pull the trigger on that option. I'm also sure dozens of others would be falling all over themselves to give you their monies. Please help them to give you monies. Think of the children.

If you were to put a poll thread together to determine the demand for the syncro quattro conversion kit, I bet you would find many like me (watching this thread) willing to put some money down. I have looked at buying a donor syncro to swap but realize that the expense is not the initial conversion....it is keeping the drivetrain running. I just can't afford to maintain the system. ie...this thread.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider a quattro conversion with the 01E 6 speed with low range. Check out page 39 http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_241.pdf. Found in the ROW allroads. I like and use my low range and locker too much. But I would consider a quattro conversion in a street car.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here Hans, I need the creeper gear, to go slow and careful off-road. I'd like a genuine 5-speed gear spacing though, but would not trade away my granny for it.

vanagonjr wrote:
Sodo wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
Would we, or should we, see these same failures on heavy 2WD van, or is this a Syncro Transmission specific problem?

Well, I do have a Syncro tranny set aside for my 2WD, so would I be in the same boat? Actually I would't be, because I doubt that I will be in granny gear often, but spinning the rear wheels more often is certainly a possibility.

If you just use the granny for the low-speed crawling (and seldom) you have the right answer.

It's reasonable that an increase in Syncro tranny problems are because of
---- 1) increasing miles
---- 2) big engines

and I can't be the only one who had….

---- 3) poor rebuilds showing early failure

Is Europe having the same problem with their Syncro trannies? What about their R&Ps, where do europeans get new R&Ps? I'm quite interested to hear about the internal health of Scott's two (healthy?) trannies, I hope he goes over them carefully, taking notes !

Not ready to throw this tranny under the bus! I think it should be analyzed with a fine-tooth comb. And maybe limit the HP you put thru it to about 130.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site seems to attract lots of rock crawler types, but I'm guessing that the vast majority of Syncro owners really just want a highly capable AWD van for inclement weather and light duty off-road activities. Flint has vids showing that his Quattro drive van is quite capable of off-roading without lockers or granny gear.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
This site seems to attract lots of rock crawler types, but I'm guessing that the vast majority of Syncro owners really just want a highly capable AWD van for inclement weather and light duty off-road activities. Flint has vids showing that his Quattro drive van is quite capable of off-roading without lockers or granny gear.

Most of the posters who make negative remarks about the Quattro Syncro have NO clue.
(Not the above quote)
They have not watched to progression live and been able to drive in each of the pre Quattro vans.

Andrew's van is very capable, more than a stock 14" USDM Syncro in my opinion.
It could easily tow, be loaded down and gets better MPGs than a WBX, plus traction control and ABS capabilities.

95%-98% of Syncro owners could benefit from his conversion.
The other percentage better save up plenty of thousands for trans rebuilds on a regular basis.

Extreme offroading in a Vanagon defines $yncro Exclamation
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many Syncro owners would be hesitant to give up the low gear and the locker, whether they have a true need for it or not, because it is a defining point on what makes a Syncro unique. In addition to having a decoupler, throwing the 2WD variable into the mix. Having a camper van, of all things, with these as options is what really sets these vehicles apart, regardless of how capable/comparable it is compared to other AWD offerings.

2WD
2WD + GRANNY
2WD + GRANNY + LOCKED REAR
4WD (ON THE FLY)
4WD + GRANNY
4WD + GRANNY + LOCKED REAR
4WD + GRANNY + LOCKED REAR + LOCKED FRONT

... is a strong selling point lol.

Last edited by Signalocity on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:04 am; edited 4 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: