Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat Kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andersjohanssen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat K Reply with quote

thatvwbusguy wrote:
Sure. A normally open relay is just a switch that is triggered by an input voltage instead of you pushing it from off to on. Using a relay on the ground side is a "fail safe" solution since it takes no signal to do the job you want it to do.

Thank you all for this thread. I have been overwhelmed! Does my schematic below make sense?

-Anders

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat Kit Reply with quote

You can get blue seas fuse blocks with the ground blocks built in. But yeah looks good to me. You would be able to condition both battery separately by the use of the relay. Also if you plan to add solar it will not combine the batteries when solar charging.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat K Reply with quote

andersjohanssen wrote:
thatvwbusguy wrote:
Sure. A normally open relay is just a switch that is triggered by an input voltage instead of you pushing it from off to on. Using a relay on the ground side is a "fail safe" solution since it takes no signal to do the job you want it to do.

Thank you all for this thread. I have been overwhelmed! Does my schematic below make sense?

-Anders

Why the 30 amp relay? If you have the ACR you don't need it. You could still use one for powering a Dometic fridge while driving.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat Kit Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure he has that so his prosport will not combine the batteries when engine is off.
Cbkg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat K Reply with quote

andersjohanssen wrote:
thatvwbusguy wrote:

-Anders

How's the install going? Really like this set-up! I'm going to try and duplicate this (:

Where did you get and what brand is the 30 Amp AC Relay?

Will you be connecting the Aux battery to the starter?

Thanks,
Ken
andersjohanssen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat K Reply with quote

Quote:

How's the install going? Really like this set-up! I'm going to try and duplicate this (:

Where did you get and what brand is the 30 Amp AC Relay?

Will you be connecting the Aux battery to the starter?

Thanks,
Ken

The install is going well. I just laid everything out and hooked it all up to the relay. For some reason when I went to test it, the relay wasn't clicking from the alternator when the engine was on or off. I tested the relay and it works so I am confused. Is it because I need to rev the engine to get the alternator wheel moving? Is it because the ACR needs two minutes before it does it's thing? Any ideas? Will post pictures soon!

- Anders
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat Kit Reply with quote

I believe that data is in the technical data sheet but if I recall correctly the voltage of aux battery needs to be higher than like 10 volts.

Then, once the SI_ACR is on (grounded) and it detects a higher voltage above 13.3 (ish) for 30 seconds, then it combines the battery.

Yes you might need to rev the engine to excite the alternator wire to kick on the relay.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat K Reply with quote

You have 2 relays in your diagram so you should clarify which one you are referring to.
The small relay should click on whenever the charging led on the dash turns off, with engine running. Does it?

Mark

andersjohanssen wrote:

The install is going well. I just laid everything out and hooked it all up to the relay. For some reason when I went to test it, the relay wasn't clicking from the alternator when the engine was on or off. I tested the relay and it works so I am confused. Is it because I need to rev the engine to get the alternator wheel moving? Is it because the ACR needs two minutes before it does it's thing? Any ideas? Will post pictures soon!

- Anders
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat Kit Reply with quote

This weekend I ran the wire for my relay to control the ground on my SI_ACR. I found an alternator wire connected to a relay below the drivers seat.

Does anyone know the amperage needed for the relay to control the ground for the SI_ACR? I see some people are using like 30 amps - However I think the SI_ACR uses less than an amp tops when operating.
andersjohanssen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Blue Sea SI-ACR Charging Relay w/GoWesty Aux Bat K Reply with quote

I stupidly didn't drive or rev and so the battery light didn't go off. I will try again. Thanks.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
You have 2 relays in your diagram so you should clarify which one you are referring to.
The small relay should click on whenever the charging led on the dash turns off, with engine running. Does it?

Mark

andersjohanssen wrote:

- Anders
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: