Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 & 65 Seat Material - Make it, Buy it!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EasternNotch wrote:
A couple years ago I was working with SMS on the 73 red cord pattern leatherette for my 64. It was a lot of back and forth and I sent him one of my original door pockets for a sample- he kept sending samples and saying it could be dyed to match but it seems like we were just getting further and further away from what I wanted. I feel like the distance made the project difficult and eventually I lacked the intestinal fortitude to continue on and i gave up and had TMI make me a custom set from red mesh.

Even after my second interior in 10 years, I would still be down if the correct 73 red cord pattern could be made/found. Problem is I don't think there is much demand for this material.

I too I'm down for some (73) when and if it becomes available

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we move forward on this - I envision it to be a group purchase. This is an opportunistic buy not a leisure one. Meaning pay up front and wait for a bulk. As others already explained and from past experience with the S&P - the bigger the order, the more $ put down the heavier the weight on getting it done faster.

Thats partly why I wanted to put the thread together. Give people plenty of time to get $ in and help get it done. Because after the first run you are either in or you are enjoying someone else's new car interior at the next show. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
As we move forward on this - I envision it to be a group purchase. This is an opportunistic buy not a leisure one. Meaning pay up front and wait for a bulk. As others already explained and from past experience with the S&P - the bigger the order, the more $ put down the heavier the weight on getting it done faster.

Thats partly why I wanted to put the thread together. Give people plenty of time to get $ in and help get it done. Because after the first run you are either in or you are enjoying someone else's new car interior at the next show. Wink

I think the harder part is going to be getting consensus on color and material. Might wind up being two or three events.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bob-on
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 64 & 65 Seat Material - Make it, Buy it! Reply with quote

I know this thread (no pun intended) is from a couple of years ago but did anything ever happen to get a bulk order put together?
I'm interested in grey cord vinyl if anyone else is?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 64 & 65 Seat Material - Make it, Buy it! Reply with quote

bob-on wrote:
I know this thread (no pun intended) is from a couple of years ago but did anything ever happen to get a bulk order put together?
I'm interested in grey cord vinyl if anyone else is?

Nope. It all takes massive time and $. Interest is not a problem. Finding a person to manage this is. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 & 65 Seat Material - Make it, Buy it! Reply with quote

If the order were to be put in would a harder to find and less popular olive cord pattern be available to be ordered for someone needs it?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 & 65 Seat Material - Make it, Buy it! Reply with quote

Kygrape999 wrote:
If the order were to be put in would a harder to find and less popular olive cord pattern be available to be ordered for someone needs it?

No. Any deviation from a select color now has minimum order requirements. Unless you are willing to spend 5k on a 20 yard roll of Olive Cord?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 & 65 Seat Material - Make it, Buy it! Reply with quote

pedro sainz wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Ok,

Lets get into what we know about reproduction of the seat materials for the 64-65 Type 3 Squareback and Notchback.

The original cord materials came in vinyl and cloth. Dependent on your year and exterior color and final M Code spec for what came in your car when new - the options will vary.

Scott, Pedro and Bob have the most to input on this. I think this reproduction and exploration of costs to do multiple vinyl, cloth and different colors should be popular enough to do.

Unlike the salt and pepper run that heavily catered to notchbacks - as there were more and are more in restoration or in need of new material - the 64-65 S range has a good number of notchback but way more squarebacks to throw in the pile.

What do we know so far? Who are all the companies that can do this (more than one)?

If we succeed at this do we then go for Door Panels - uppers and lowers?

What say you?

SMS will make any Fabric vinyl or Cloth
5 yards Min order and be patience might take up to 2 years
if you guys plan of getting more yards than there Min. order
No Worries they always make MORE than your 5 yards
I think over 100 yards for FUTURE STOCK and require Paid in Full amount

2 years is Better than not have any the rest of your life

I just bump this here's again update INFO
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 & 65 Seat Material - Make it, Buy it! Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1414559.jpg

this is the Closest in STOCK NOW $129 a yard

was NOT what I wanted but Not Bad at All

for a first Sample of the Grey Cord Cloth 64

but looks like More a 65 Silver Cord Cloth
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
bob-on
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 & 65 Seat Material - Make it, Buy it! Reply with quote

pedro sainz wrote:

How does this match up to the grey cord vinyl? Is it the same dimensions?

I don't suppose you have a contact at the company for me? Any help would be great, thanks
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 & 65 Seat Material - Make it, Buy it! Reply with quote

bob-on wrote:
pedro sainz wrote:

How does this match up to the grey cord vinyl? Is it the same dimensions?

I don't suppose you have a contact at the company for me? Any help would be great, thanks

1964 Grey or 1965 Silver cord cloth is Unique Pattern
1964 Grey Cord Vinyl is Unique Pattern
1965 Silver Cord Vinyl Don't Exist Never Did
1965 in Vinyl was Grey Mesh TMI have it in Stock

SMS Auto Fabrics
350 S Redwood St, Canby, OR 97013
Phone: (503) 263-3535

www.smsautofabrics.com
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
vmg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 64 & 65 Seat Material - Make it, Buy it! Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I found this thread and would like to ask if there is any progress being made anywhere for cloth material for Type 3s

I really would prefer to have my 1500S Notchback in cloth than in vynil.

Thanks!
Victor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: