Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

So With all the idle time because of the virus pandemic we’ve been staying home to flatten the curve. Now what to do with all this idle time? I’ve channeled it into finishing Bill the 67 bug. Made great progress installed new tranny mounts
Throw out bearing, repaired wiring harness, fender beads, taillights, turn signals, headlights, hood seal, wiper shaft seals,

So many small jobs and detail items and I’ve lost a brake drum somewhere, geez. I’ll also be doing seat covers carpet door panels full brake job and tires
Then there’s the motor install. Love it this is most work I’ve done in years but didn’t forget how😀
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Nice job!

After mechanically refreshing my 1967 bug, it's my favorite VW to drive. They are just super fun to drive.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

I don't know what those tires with the header behind them are for.
But they'd look great on that 67. If they are not too tall or too wide.

Keep up the pace while you have the time on your hands.
Sometime in the future. you'll be back to wrenching on airplanes again.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Those wheels came off another car and tires are 185-65-15 they seem plenty wide but not tall enough. The wheels are Mangles and are slightly wider than stock. My question is what would be a good size tire for this car using those wheels?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Those wheels came off another car and tires are 185-65-15 they seem plenty wide but not tall enough. The wheels are Mangles and are slightly wider than stock. My question is what would be a good size tire for this car using those wheels?

I put 205/70/15's on the rear of my 67. They are pretty tall and makes the cars a little squirrely.
Likely a factor of wanting some top speed at lower RPMs. But the tires do fill the rear fenders rather well.

EDIT: I entered the incorrect side wall aspect ratio. Embarassed Now corrected.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Today finished up trunk seal and repaired some wiring. When it came to doing the wiring I pulled out a stash that is all original VW. Back when the cars and busses were plentiful in salvage I found it easier and could make a better looking repair visiting salvage to take whole sections of harness. Here’s what I’ve got left.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Today I got after the transmission main shaft seal and the throw out bearing here’s how it all went.

Before you do anything I’m going to say something about these pivots. They ride on the cross shaft and never get a mention. I always lube these with tiny amount of grease, but before you do look for excessive wear. Wear can manifest itself as a bearing that falls off or doesn’t track straight. Later models 71 up had that nice guide tube.

Here’s parts and tools. I’m using genuine Elring German seal. I’m also using German T/O bearing that I’ve rebuilt these are by far superior to anything available today. The clips come in two varieties, you want the heavier duty ones near bottom of pic.

I’m using this seal remover to hook the old seal and get it out

Here’s the old seal, look close it’s OEM VW.

I’m pointing to those preferred clips they superseded the originals in a service bulletin back in the 60s but you still see the wimpy original ones in use.

I replaced the transmission mounts and German ones still available. I’ll also be installing a nice used Autostik starter, swing axel boots, axel seals but I’m going to be out of commission in a few days for rotator cuff surgery. Not sure on recovery but I’ll be wearing a sling 6 weeks minimum. Full recovery a year it’s tough getting older. This project will languish again I’m 😱

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Nice post as usual Jim. Thank you.

Good Luck with your recovery. I'm sure you'll be back in fighting form in no time.

Take care.

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Z, good luck w/the surgery! Your threads & posts are always super educational for me, and often entertaining. Look forward to your return!

Víctor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Here's hoping the surgery goes smoothly and the recovery is tolerable!
About to tear into a trans myself, just discovered it had been sitting with water in it for months! (my father watered the back area adjacent to the covered carport, he placed the sprinkler... poorly Rolling Eyes ) Upside, water came out clear/non-rusty! Downside, there was a very small amount of sediment composed of aluminum corrosion. Today I'll be back to removing the pounds of quarter-inch-thick oil/dirt coating that's scaling off in a few spots.
-Plus a wide assortment of various parts'n'junk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

The cutting was a week ago Friday, rotor cuff right side and I’m right handed so I’m really screwed. I was eating pills so some of my posts may be incomprehensible. Fair amount of pain first 3 days, now better but still one armed man. Arm will be immobilized 4-6 weeks then comes very fun PT. Back to 80% in 6-8 months. Gotta go slow.

This is a wear and tear injury from being mechanic all my life. Arthritis, bone spurs, calcium deposits and torn ligaments. They fixed it best they could we’ll see. Very Happy This might be the thing that pushes me into full retirement. That’s not a bad thing. I miss driving this car
Matheus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Very nice build.. I enjoyed a lot.. thank you for sharing this.

I also liked to see Brazilian made parts over there.. Smile
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
This is a wear and tear injury from being mechanic all my life. Arthritis, bone spurs, calcium deposits and torn ligaments. They fixed it best they could we’ll see. Very Happy This might be the thing that pushes me into full retirement. That’s not a bad thing. I miss driving this car

You've both seen some wear and tear but you've got plenty of road yet to travel together! Thanks for following through with this build! Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

This 67 VW isn’t far off from being back on the road needing just brakes, engine install and interior. However I’m into the the shoulder surgery 5 weeks and unbeknownst to me going in the recovery is very painful and slow. In retrospect I should have finished the car then had surgery Very Happy as they say “Life gets in the Way”.

So this is the engine as it sits. I have a test stand and want to run it up before putting it in the car.

And here is the car. I’m currently looking for a 68 type 1 oil bath air cleaner.

BTW I have been driving my 74 bug using left hand to shift, got it down to a science now.
VeeDubWolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Left-handed shifting?! Shocked
Impressive! Cool (note, not sarcastic, I really am impressed!)
My shifting is probably super rusty by now, been years since I drove a stick.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

How goes with the recovery?

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Adriel Rowley wrote:

Rotator cuff surgery takes months to recover from, actually they told me a year and I’m almost 9 months out. I did all the physical therapy as directed, the 28 visits with pretty young women putting me through the paces while doing extra exercises at home, it’s slow regaining range of motion. At one point they had me strung out on opioids, the cute therapists encouraged me to take those fucking pills and I did, but it’s my fault too I know better. After a serious consultation with my doctor I realized what was happening had a come to Jesus moment and got back on track.

So it was an interesting year with the creeping crud virus, several folks I know died from it. The cuff surgery, therapy and the drugs, a couple of back injuries. On top of that my blood pressure got out of wack heart rate went down to 35 beats a minute. I spent a few days in the hospital. So all the stuff around here has been on a back burner. Then I retired after 36 years, lots of adjustments. I’m gonna hafta buckle down and finish this stuff up and I’d like to but physical things have been a challenge 😀.
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Adriel Rowley wrote:

Rotator cuff surgery takes months to recover from, actually they told me a year and I’m almost 9 months out. I did all the physical therapy as directed, the 28 visits with pretty young women putting me through the paces while doing extra exercises at home, it’s slow regaining range of motion. At one point they had me strung out on opioids, the cute therapists encouraged me to take those fucking pills and I did, but it’s my fault too I know better. After a serious consultation with my doctor I realized what was happening had a come to Jesus moment and got back on track.

I did read this whole thread, stumbled upon it by accident and glad I did as lots of great information. So yes, understand a long recovery. It seems you are on track and progressing well? If so, great.

I too prefer women PT, not sure about OT as was at first a little uncomfortable having a female help and watch me shower, soon I forgot about it. She is very caring and understanding, where men don't have the same knack (I am a male so can say a known fact).

[quote="Zundfolge1432"]So it was an interesting year with the creeping crud virus, several folks I know died from it.

I have lost two family members to COVID, several family also have got it and recovered, and I got it myself despite only going out a few times and did everything and more.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
The cuff surgery, therapy and the drugs, a couple of back injuries. On top of that my blood pressure got out of wack heart rate went down to 35 beats a minute. I spent a few days in the hospital. So all the stuff around here has been on a back burner. Then I retired after 36 years, lots of adjustments. I’m gonna hafta buckle down and finish this stuff up and I’d like to but physical things have been a challenge 😀.

I am sorry to read about your back injuries and hospitalization. Good grief!

Take care of yourself before everything else, I am still struggling with that.

By the way, have you tried hemp oil? Amazing stuff, was not sure it work, however, recommended by a great friend, same one that recognized my oxycontin addiction years ago and understood I didn't want to take them again after my bowl surgery. Fair warning, tastes awful, though found a cracker with peanut butter after takes it away.

Feel better soon.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

On the Dansk mufflers - I found that the left side bubble adaptor for the fresh air is not shaped correctly and will not fit. I ended up buying used original left side bubbles and replacing the Dansk one. That worked.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine Reply with quote

Today progress resumed on this 67 bug. Engine has taken nearly 6 years and the car longer than that but the engine is just about ready to go into the car. Here’s a few pictures.

I’ve replaced all the normal wear items here, brakes,shocks,boots,trans mounts,T.O. Bearing, tranny seal, engine seal etc. the engine is 1776 single port.

Sitting on this lift table from harbor freight

All that 500mph tape on the back looks like shit doesn’t it? Who cares what the back of a DP engine looks like? It’s hard to see anyway. It is sealed better than new and if you look around you’ll see the thermostat and all the tins in place. That chrome intake I’ve been saving for decades is getting used, it is part of a dress up kit by empi as is the chrome pulley nut.

This is not the carb or distributor I’ll be using. The 019 was rebuilt by Glenn years ago but I’ve decided to use something closer to stock and a Solex 30-3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: