Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverse lights question 1974 Westy Baywindow Bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedystar77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reverse lights question 1974 Westy Baywindow Bus Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are the wires attached to the reverse light switch in the above photo? What are the two empty terminals on the nose of the transmission? (For orientation, the empty terminals point to the front of the bus)

I'm holding the wires coming from the switch on the transmission. One should go to an inline fuse (currently missing for some reason) then to the coil and the other to the reverse light terminal hanging in the background?

Thanks for looking!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akscooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one goes to the spade terminal coming off the left taillight the one to the left in your picture, the other goes to the positive side of the coil, or a keyed power. there should also be a fuse inline also.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what that other thing is on the tranny nose.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Vacuum advance cutoff Reply with quote

72-74 Except 74 Manual Trans.

Last edited by Tcash on Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you don't want that vacuum advance cut-off switch hooked up.
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:

Why?
I ask b/c I'm in the process of gathering missing parts to hook up my 72' as stock.

Switch is item# 211905521 btw - very little info on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChipWrecked wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:

Why?
I ask b/c I'm in the process of gathering missing parts to hook up my 72' as stock.

Remarkably that system is one of the few things VW put on that really detracted from performance, it's a way to get around new emission laws that came down that year and it does marginally reduce some sort of combustion byproduct, but the extra gas used to overcome the loss of power likely cancels that out in the big picture. Put it in for decoration if you are building a museum peice, but it'll be a happier bus if it doesn't work.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Put it in for decoration if you are building a museum peice, but it'll be a happier bus if it doesn't work.

Thanks - you undoubtedly saved me several frustrations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Remarkably that system is one of the few things VW put on that really detracted from performance, it's a way to get around new emission laws that came down that year and it does marginally reduce some sort of combustion byproduct,

The vacuum advance cut-out helped to keep the air injection exhaust afterburners hot and active around town. You think I kid . . .

Remember, every VW under full throttle has no vacuum advance, so it wasn't that noticeable of a deterioration in poerformance.

When i think of how many FI buses-with-leaky-EEC-valves are out there with utterly no vacuum advance as a result . . .
Colin
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
When i think of how many FI buses-with-leaky-EEC-valves are out there with utterly no vacuum advance as a result . . .
Colin

Excellent point!

So if running the complete full meal deal smog system it's useful, aside from that not so much.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights question 1974 Westy Baywindow Bus Reply with quote

So doing some research on why my reverse switch wasn't working, I came across the issue of incorrect wiring.
Regardless I removed the original VW switch, cleaned it well, and hooked it up. As mentioned, one black wire (with inline fuse) goes to the (15) terminal on the ignition coil. The other black wire coming from the switch goes to the covered spade out of the left rear taillight housing.
Here it is in its 40 year old oily glory:

Here is the two wires coming from the engine bay:

Cleaned up and installed on the driver-side of the transaxle, you can see the part # of the VW reverse light switch. This is on a 74 manual Westfalia.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights question 1974 Westy Baywindow Bus Reply with quote

I love it when I’m doing research on a subject and come across my own answers from a post years ago.

Is this old age I am experiencing? Laughing

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
ChipWrecked wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:

Why?

Remarkably that system is one of the few things VW put on that really detracted from performance, it's a way to get around new emission laws that came down that year and it does marginally reduce some sort of combustion byproduct, but the extra gas used to overcome the loss of power likely cancels that out in the big picture. Put it in for decoration if you are building a museum peice, but it'll be a happier bus if it doesn't work.

I was searching old threads to see if I could find out why my reverse lights are on constantly and I ran across this info about not hooking up the vacuum advance cut off switch. My mileage is horrible ( 7 mpg) which I'm fairly crtain is primarily due to adjustments needed on my Weber Progressive Center Mount carb. The bus runs great as far as I can tell, but clearly somethings not right with that kind of mileage.. So I need to get something done to the carb to improve mileage, but if my 74 has a vacuum advance cut off switch and if it's hooked up, could disconnecting it at least gain me some extra mpg?

Oh, and the question I was originally trying to find an answer to, why are my backup lights on all the time?
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights question 1974 Westy Baywindow Bus Reply with quote

Your tranny backup light switch is either shorted internally or stuck. Remove and test with an ohmmeter.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:
My mileage is horrible ( 7 mpg) which I'm fairly crtain is primarily due to adjustments needed on my Weber Progressive Center Mount carb. The bus runs great as far as I can tell, but clearly somethings not right with that kind of mileage.. So I need to get something done to the carb to improve mileage, but if my 74 has a vacuum advance cut off switch and if it's hooked up, could disconnecting it at least gain me some extra mpg?

You need to verify that your timing is correct to start with. 7 mpg is so low that your engine should barely be running. Throw in new points and set them to a .018-.020" gap, and then time your engine to 28-30° BTDC @3800+ rpm, hoses off and plugged. If you have a dual vacuum can on the distributor you do not want to reconnect the retard side of it, only the advance.

You need to make sure your distributor is properly lubricated as well according to the manual and that both the vacuum advance and the mechanical advance both work.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
ChipWrecked wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:

Why?

I was searching old threads to see if I could find out why my reverse lights are on constantly and I ran across this info about not hooking up the vacuum advance cut off switch. My mileage is horrible ( 7 mpg) which I'm fairly crtain is primarily due to adjustments needed on my Weber Progressive Center Mount carb. The bus runs great as far as I can tell, but clearly somethings not right with that kind of mileage.. So I need to get something done to the carb to improve mileage, but if my 74 has a vacuum advance cut off switch and if it's hooked up, could disconnecting it at least gain me some extra mpg?

Oh, and the question I was originally trying to find an answer to, why are my backup lights on all the time?

No, the advance cut off won’t hurt mileage or performance. It’s much more likely your carb isn’t jetted right or the distributor isn’t matched.

Test the transmission switch to see if it’s passing the 12 volts through regardless of gear position, or use an ohmmeter to see if it closes in reverse, and open circuits otherwise. If you need the step by step on this, post back, please.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights question 1974 Westy Baywindow Bus Reply with quote

If not having a vacuum advance didn't hurt either performance or gas mileage, VW would not have spent the money to add it. Especially with a progressive carb the difference is apt to be very noticeable.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights question 1974 Westy Baywindow Bus Reply with quote

That kind of mileage, its amazing it runs..

I get 18 mpg (US) out of a progressive.

But if the fuel metering valve in the float chamber starts to leak , the carburettor drains excess fuel down the throat of the carburettor.

With the tune on my progressive, that stops the engine and it floods and it is time to buy a new valve.

And when the engine is stopped and the tank is full it would keep dripping into the oil too (why I have a shutoff solenoid in the line from the tank).

About every 15000 miles, it wears out the valve.

Back on topic.

If the reversing lights are on all the time then either the switch is faulty, the two wires to the switch are shorting or the wiring is wrong.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
dr8track
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights question 1974 Westy Baywindow Bus Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:

Back on topic.

If the reversing lights are on all the time then either the switch is faulty, the two wires to the switch are shorting or the wiring is wrong.

I'm thinking the switch is faulty since it worked fine previously, but for the life of me I can't locate that switch. I'm not certain how different the engine is between the posters 71 and my 74, but I can't find anything that looks like the switch in his photo. I've crawled around and looked, but can't spot anything with a couple wires attached.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse lights question 1974 Westy Baywindow Bus Reply with quote

When under the bus on the LH side of the transmission look for 2 black wires above the clutch cable, the switch is on the very front of the transmission near the shifter shaft.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: