Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Allowing threads that solicit donations for personal gain ?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Allow threads asking for personal donations ?
Yes - allow
22%
 22%  [ 7 ]
No - do not allow
77%
 77%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 31

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been lots of people begging for donations with the "Go Fund Me" website. I think all of them are tasteless when they involve personal gain. I don't mind fundraising projects for worthy causes such as medical problems like caner research, but repairing your custom car or planning your wedding is for personal gain.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes there great........Im in need of a lot of stuff I cant afford(rather my wife cant aford,but alwasy tells me to get what ever I want.....but I cant do that....usualy Wink ) I would love another flow bench....and another cnc mill bigenough to do head and cases.....and..all the tooling,(that i dont already have) and...somebody come buy all my v8 stuff&unfinished racecar so i cant domore on my vw stuff......and.....I would like some liposuction so I can eat what I want to...and I would like to be able to afford to eat like I want to also so....oh yes I would like a new car too........and soround sound installed in my almost finished house and....of so much more since your in the giving mode......and my bug needs quarters installed and some other body stuff too so......oh boy this could take a while,I also need/want/like/heard of/.......oh heck justy send a blank check or better yet send a few hundrad thou in cash (usa)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have an issue with it....but I think strict rules should be set for WHAT the cause is.

For instance....the only time I "might" ask for donations.....would be for instance. ...to cover the cost for making tooling for a mold to make parts that are NLA. .....for as many people in the community that want them and are willing to simply pay costs of raw materials for each run.

I do that all the time (make parts....not solicit donations).

In this way I could maybe afford to make the tooling ....that I could notxafgord on my o2n hook.....so I get MY needed parts......and when i do molding runs.....I would sell the parts at cost only to whoever needs them.

I would never solicit tooling money for a part i would later sell for profit as a business venture. Its more of a modified group buy.

Thats the type of solicitation I could get behind. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same reaction as those who stand in front of stores and accost shoppers. When it gets too frequent, I just go to another store. In this case there are specific laws about this act involving property rights, public spaces, etc... to ouch to debate here. But the feeling is the same. It makes me want to go elsewhere. Maybe that makes me selfish or insensitive, but at least in urban/suburban California, it gets to be too much fast.

That said, the occasional hard case isn't going to cause me any grief. I can just move on. I also sort of figure "off-topic" means it's pretty open for anything, and my expectations are adjusted accordingly.

Good luck and good fortune to those in need, maybe with some help from here.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ya out in front of stores, asking for a cigarette.
Look around here there is plenty of work but those folks do not want to.
glad i do not smoke.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: More than once Reply with quote

TrulyVintage wrote:
More than once I have seen the person holding the cardboard sign at the freeway exit ramp staying in the same budget motel that I do .... Idea

I look at the signers shoes..if they are in better shape than mine they dont stand a chance..we get crews out here,they work the same intersection in shifts like a union shop.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: More than once Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
TrulyVintage wrote:
More than once I have seen the person holding the cardboard sign at the freeway exit ramp staying in the same budget motel that I do .... Idea

I look at the signers shoes..if they are in better shape than mine they dont stand a chance..we get crews out here,they work the same intersection in shifts like a union shop.

While having lunch at a restaurant across the street from a busy highway off ramp, I watched a panhandler walk up the ramp, cut through the row of trees & jump into a brand new crew cab, diesel dually. That damn thing probably cost more than my townhouse.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: More than once Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
While having lunch at a restaurant across the street from a busy highway off ramp, I watched a panhandler walk up the ramp, cut through the row of trees & jump into a brand new crew cab, diesel dually. That damn thing probably cost more than my townhouse.

And he and his old lady probably have separate gofundme accounts accumulating too.....

Freeloaders suck....

We had a guy in a local town that was a known millionaire.. He would panhandle in other cities and counties daily.. and drive his Euro trash car home..

If someone is stupid enough to give their money away for a dirty face and ratty clothes and/or an internet sob story ..... then those who ask for it... are no doubt smart enough to take it...

The ones creeping around the parking lots are some of the worst.
"My car broke down just needing bus money to get home "... or gas money was the big one for a while....
Yeah right ....Try using those Shoebaru's for their intentions fella.. get to walking.

Pay attention to your surroundings people... :2gunfire: Be ready

Internet begging IMO.. I agree is very poor taste and even much lazier than out begging in person in the real world..

True pride is rare these days..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the parking lot vultures, one asked my wife for a donation & she said she didn't carry cash & only used a bank card, the POS actually told her where the ATM was Evil or Very Mad

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I forgot to add. i had cancer,got afu by the dr's.hurricane washed away thousands of $$$ of my tools&stuff,my dad just died last month, one of my kids is getteing married this week......hmm what else can i add, I should be a millionaire shortly when all this cash comes rolling in Rolling Eyes . it's gonna be great to have a new car !!! even if it is a new discounted vw diesel with "software&hard ware issues and recall on the horizon"...oops I forgot I also steped in some of the BP horizon oil spill and got spooge on my toes. and couldn't go to the beach for a year.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having cast my vote, I'll just leave a free opinion here, fwiw. we all need to work to support our lives. bad luck is there behind the corner but this should remain a car enthusiasts' website. There are other places where to ask for monetary help, as other have said, the forum is a place where whenever help is offered it takes form of work or knowledge.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a sticky or a special section that you can post in. That way of you are feeling a need to pay it forward there is a place for you to do so to a person in the VW world. If you are not feeling generous then you don't even have to go there.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody want to fund mark tucker's dieseling run on keyboard repair.. Laughing

Dont count on me to chip in..... but Im sure there's plenty in these forums that would.. Wink

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... lets either stay on topic or move on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... its dead Glenn...but keep beating it anyway.

Usually and often edited
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread is like the dead horse...dosent work....still no money showing up in my mail box, apparently it dosent work.......unless you are a real scammer. Shocked I aint.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok all crap aside. there are some instances where we can help someone.but not for their new car or shit&beer. Ive done many of the raffles that used to show up from time to time,not at all expecting to win the car or what ever.I donate to the real stuff not the scam stuff like orgnazations that give 7% of what they collect. these days it's hard to tell the scams from the fakes.hell some go as far as cutting all thier hair off & poring shit in thier eyes saying it's the chemo. I dont think there should be a ban. but no scams Shocked so whoo is gonna be the scam buster??? I vote glenn.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komissar wrote:
I would say these threads should be allowed, as a general rule, (considering the rise in all this crowdfunding phenomenon) but subjected to a high degree of moderation. In the end, the forum viewers should decide if the cause or reason is worthy of their money. Some things might be, some stories might be more interesting and inspiring than others, and some causes might be just the opposite.

johnnypan wrote:
If you have the gall to ask for something you can live without you better have the skin to deal with the reply..

raygreenwood wrote:
I dont have an issue with it....but I think strict rules should be set for WHAT the cause is.

For instance....the only time I "might" ask for donations.....would be for instance. ...to cover the cost for making tooling for a mold to make parts that are NLA. .....for as many people in the community that want them and are willing to simply pay costs of raw materials for each run.

I skimmed this thread quickly and I agree with all of the above.

Basically:
We allow them but if you are asking for something in your personal life and not benefitting others, it will probably get locked. It might be locked right away, it might be locked when and if there is backlash.

Locked or not, visitors can decide for themselves.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: