Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Superior turtleback lugs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

flightofphx wrote:
I realize I am late to the party, but I just got turtlebacks for my fastback.
Does anyone know if these will work as wheelbolts?

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D70%2D2703

Annie referred to having to use Empi wheel locks with hers - I am not sure if these are the one she was referring to.

flightofphx,
I think your referring to member Anniehum and his post was about vintage EMPI locking lug bolts. Not the ones you posted.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll try to clarify.
Original Formula Vee Mag Wheels Lug Bolt Hole Diameter is 5/8" a Mag Lug Nut Hole Diameter is 11/16" ( see photo).
*MUST FIT IN HOLES SNUG. Due to proper mounting and centering.
TKT.CITY_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

looking for 1 original turtle back wheel bolt

I have my set of 4 wheels that have been in storage for to long, so i think it is time to buy an original set but there isn´t any one on the market Crying or Very sad .

I have the machines & equipment to reproduce the bolt, If someone could load me 1 bolt or send me the precise measurements (with a vernier caliper please).

i will appreciate.

thanks for reading.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

I have the solution and just installed them

Summit racing 21133etxl lugs
GOR-79915 adapter washers
12m 1.5 to 14M 1.5 adapter studs
Ground the lugs about 1/8" so they didnt bottom out.

The key to this is the diameter of the shank (.062") and having a flat surface to mate to the wheel....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

TKT.CITY_vw wrote:
looking for 1 original turtle back wheel bolt

I have my set of 4 wheels that have been in storage for to long, so i think it is time to buy an original set but there isn´t any one on the market Crying or Very sad .

I have the machines & equipment to reproduce the bolt, If someone could load me 1 bolt or send me the precise measurements (with a vernier caliper please).

i will appreciate.

thanks for reading.

Update and reviving this dead thread.

I have produced engineering drawings that match the original bolts. Looking to get them fabricated, but the custom bolt maker in IL wants $35 PER BOLT with a min order of 100. However this does mean I can produce these if needed.

If anyone has suggestions for a cheaper/better way to get these made, I love to hear it. I think it should be doable on nearly any lathe?

Wanted: Male computer diagnostic plug end
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

Did you not see my post just above? It works. Yeah - the set up time for machining anything like what you are proposing is where the cost is. You can try shopping around to another machine shop that may do a smaller batch. You are looking for a smaller specialty shop instead of a job shop. Like, I have a local guy that has a full CNC set up in his home shop that will make me some things, but it would still be expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

I saw your post. Those washers are too large diameter and the nuts no longer exist. I found some alternatives on summit racing that I just placed an order for.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-41137et
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-79916

However I still have a strong preference for originality, and I would like to get these manufactured if I can

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

Fortunately I don't have any more turtle backs coming in for work. Let me know how what you got works for you. Thanks. And yeah, IF you are able to get new ones made, that would be of interest. There are folks that love those and you may have a small market if you can get a few dozen sets made.
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

They just came in, some issues:

The shank diameter is 0.620 instead of 0.625. This may cause centering issues.

Also the shank protruding past the washer is 0.18 or so, and I think its supposed to be closer to 0.25-0.3.

I may still give these a shot but dont have high hopes.

TKT.CITY_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

talljordan wrote:
They just came in, some issues:

The shank diameter is 0.620 instead of 0.625. This may cause centering issues.

Also the shank protruding past the washer is 0.18 or so, and I think its supposed to be closer to 0.25-0.3.

I may still give these a shot but dont have high hopes.
Quote:

I Have seen those products from summit racing but not quite the good juice the wheels need, Im planing in geting some mag lug nuts with .68 shank and getting it machinned to .62, i thing it is the best way to go, have just acompliched 4 years withs my wheels maybe time to install this wheels in my 1971 squareback. all ready sandblasted just need a little polish.

when the sciens ends, the art begin!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

Francisco and I have been working on getting these made as original. I received the sample and have tested it as adequate and a perfect reproduction.

In the photos, the rusty one is stock, and next to it is our repro, and the aftermarket nut option.

This bolt is an exact replica of the stock bolts, and the washer included is slightly thicker to prevent pitting or bending like I saw with my stock bolts.

You can see at a glance how much superior these are to the aftermarket option. Not only is the shank the correct length so theyll center better and be firmer. The diameter is correct, so they fit snug in the wheels. You can see that the aftermarket has barely any shank protruding, and because they use lug studs, there is risk of them not gripping great.

I think we will be having a bunch of these made, and then will offer them for sale, with pricing TBD.

If you have interest, please reach out so I know how many to have made.

Scott H
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

I would be interested in a set, pending final pricing.

What material are they being made from?
TKT.CITY_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

@talljordan and I have discussed the price still working on it the material is M8 treated, strong as the specification.

This bolts are management by a mechanic engineer an test fitment in different formula vee wheels, in Jordan's wheels and my wheels.

Prices will be sell by bolt and for a 16 set, also can work on a locking bolt.

when the sciens ends, the art begin!
talljordan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Superior turtleback lugs Reply with quote

I double checked with the manufacturer by email.

The material is 4140 steel and is NOT heat treated after all. Heat treating adds so much cost that the cost for a set would exceed the value of a set of wheels.

4140 steel is rated at about 95000 PSI tensile strength which is roughly in line with grade 5 steel, and about 2/3 the strength of grade 8

That being said, I have tested the sample bolt to 125 ft-lbs with no damage. I wouldn't recommend rattle gunning the ever living shit out of them, but they should be more than adequate for our purposes. I would suggest only mounting using a torque wrench set to the correct torque setting for a VW. I didn't want to torque any harder for fear of damaging the rim itself. But my math is showing a theoretical maximum torque of over 600 ft-lbs before the threads fail, assuming a perfect bolt.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: