Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unable to find stock exhaust manifold needed to smog '79 Bay
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grateful Deadhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Unable to find stock exhaust manifold needed to smog '79 Bay Reply with quote

My daughter and I bought a '79 federal Bay bus as a project to work on together. We got it running and now are trying to register it (in California). We now see the PO replaced the stock exhaust with an aftermarket header (from the heater boxes rearward, including removal of the catalytic converter), so it won't pass a smog test. We've tried just about every salvage yard listed on the Samba and others listed online with no luck. Any thoughts on where can we find a stock federal manifold/crossover pipe would be greatly appreciated.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone just posted a solution to this problem over the last day or two. They used an available 4 into 1 header system and then connected that into a cat and muffler.

Here you go:

airkooledchris wrote:
don't be scared of the 79CA edition.

If the exhaust is too far gone, there is still an available smoggable solution.

Swap the drivers side heater box with a federal unit, then get an extractor for a 72-74 and have the cat and a short bodied muffler welded to the end of it.

Use the CAT's O2 port for the factory 02 connection.

Once you convert the heater box on the drivers side to a federal model, you will always be able to use the cheap and readily available 72-74 style systems.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BTW, Kyle did the full harness for my 79CA and I couldn't be happier with it. Spring for the extra kit to do your factory electronic ignition wiring as well.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Ken at thebusco.com as I thought I saw one sitting there on my last visit
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grateful Deadhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Thank you + EGR port Reply with quote

Thank you Wildthings, aircooledchris and Bleyseng for the information - very helpful!

I will check with thebusco.com for the original manifold. I will also ask aircooledchris on his post about how to address a needed EGR port, and a good source for the cat.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: