Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vintagespeed.com.tw/Exhaustsystem/Exhaustsystem-main.html
No type 4's but to the floor.

Link

Have fun
Tcash
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
...and the GE case would appear to be from '78

Ooops, s'cuse me...I gotta correct my own quote: just got home and looked at notes...it's a GD case, not a GE.

So that would suggest it's even more bastardized: '75 exhaust, etc.; 76-77 case; hydraulic lifters, which came in '78...can't WAIT to take this thing apart...who KNOWS what bore and stroke she's got? I assumed from the hydro lifters that it was 2L...anyone's guess now.

Wow Shocked

T: I'd be having a lot more fun if that dyno on the floor was in my shop Smile
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busstom,

The photos in my post were all taken prior to initial installation, so you will see no crack in these photos. I didn't take any photos after the repair. The first photo in my post shows the FACTORY weld (not the repair),

The crack happened along the factory weld about 180* around. It was making the typical VW exhaust leak sound all of a sudden. This happened in the first ~2000 miles. I decided to weld it instead of return it, because even though if you buy a from a US retailer like I did i.e. ACN.net the package is still sent from Taiwan (packed in Taiwanese news paper and all) and you still have to deal with customs and such.

I would still do it again, as the fit and finish is very good. The sound is just where I like it, as it really isn't loud at all IMO.

Best of luck!
Cheers!

Benjamin
-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 Ό million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years back I was looking for a new exhaust for my 2109. I was offered a VS system from a very respectable samba member and I turned it down. That was a bad decision on my part, which I had it today. Buy the VS if you can and don't look back.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
A couple of years back I was looking for a new exhaust for my 2109. I was offered a VS system from a very respectable samba member and I turned it down. That was a bad decision on my part, which I had it today. Buy the VS if you can and don't look back.

Want mine? 14k miles on, still has the gaskets and header pipes. $200 and come pick it up. It includes free beer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^you are the very respectable member! Smile. Yes, PM on its way!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm this thread definitely gives me some food for thought. It looks like my 1600 has a bug exhaust that is rusted and extremely loud. Driving down the highway at 60 made no difference in loudness with the windows open or not.

With that said I was looking into the most quiet vintage speed exhaust they make for my bus.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and what did you find?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
Hmm this thread definitely gives me some food for thought. It looks like my 1600 has a bug exhaust that is rusted and extremely loud. Driving down the highway at 60 made no difference in loudness with the windows open or not.

With that said I was looking into the most quiet vintage speed exhaust they make for my bus.

Yes, they can custom make anything your eart desires for a price. They have a "stock style" muffler now that nobody here has posted experience with yet. It has the smaller tailpipe and correct flow-style heat riser plumbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

Heard an unusual rattle from the engine bay of my bus while motoring down the highway a few days ago and lo and behold, one of the welds on the lower reinforcing pieces between the muffler can and the exhaust flange on my Vintage Speed high-flow muffler had failed...no other issues for now, and I know VS stands behind their product, but I'm loathe to remove the muffler for such a minor issue. I guess I'll wait for it to fail further, if it even will, before I file a customer service request with them. Oh well, up until then it was flawless (and it does still fully function)...still lasted longer than my BugPack single quiet pack.

- Doug :-/
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lhwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

Asiab3

Keep posting!! I love reading your posts just because they are so informative. You give so much detail it makes it easy for the newbies like me to understand better what is being discussed. We just bought our 72 Westy this summer so we are new to the Bus scene.

Plus I live in San Marcos and would love to meet you and AeroMech sometime!

Peace

LW
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
...one of the welds on the lower reinforcing pieces between the muffler can and the exhaust flange on my Vintage Speed high-flow muffler had failed...

Thanks for this status report. These mufflers have to endure substantial vibration compared to the vast majority mufflers in the rest of the automobile world. It's a miracle they last as long as they do. I'm tempted to R&D a personal system where the muffler is - somehow - separated from the extractors, and hence the engine vibration. And maybe not necessarily for my Bay, but for my '64 Bus, for starters. Where to put it is the big question, but somehow connected with flex and just lose that rigid connection to the engine. Certainly not for most people, I'm sure.
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

I like the look of the VS systems and was planning on adding one to my motor.
I was advised by JPM to fit the CSP python exhaust.
He was involved in the designing and testing of this exhaust so i guess he was naturally biased towards his own product.
So far after 5000km on my new motor the exhaust has been fine and its quiet too,im not sure of the comparisons with the VS but the Python might be another alternative?

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

Now if these guys could manufacture a quality stainless heat shield to go with the exhaust would be awesome. Or maybe rap the muffler with exhaust tape.

Also make the headers for the square port would be nice also.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

I have one... 71 Bus. Nice quality, a little louder but pleasant. 18 months running it no issues thus far.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

well, I have a few years of use on mine now and it has failed. the welds are all letting go at the tailpipe end, as well as with the little support bit that holds the tailpipe from below.

off to find a local shop that can put some decent SS welds on it.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

I have read other posts on this forum about the T4 VS mufflers breaking where yours did. I'm currently at work and don't have the time to search for them for you but they shouldn't be easy to find. From what I remember VS is aware of the problem and have made steps to correct the issue. I'd take some pics and email them to VS before having it welded, maybe they'll either fix it for you or warranty it for you.

Currently at 17,500 with my VS. 14,000 put on by Asiab3 and 3,500 by me. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

I believe this is relevant to the thread, so here goes.

I am currently deciding what to do with my exhaust leak in my 78 Westy. 1975-1978 has a different setup than early bays and 1979. I have a muffler, heat exchanger, elbow and exhaust manifold. All the pieces have a triangular flange as well. I have not called them but it seems the Vintage Speed is equipment is design for everyone besides 75-78. I have checked their website and nothing has the triangular fitting for me. I am debating repair the flange on the manifold and elbow. German supply sells the flanges for $18 a piece but then you need to pay someone to weld them on for who knows how much $$. I would need 6 flanges and to find someone to fit them. Over the years I have have all the parts apart a few times and the 78 is quite a pain to deal with.

The other option is to buy new early bay heat exchangers at somewhere around $350 per. that have the manifolds as a one piece unit with no elbows etc. They also have the two-tube fitting that all the VS exhausts bolt to.

Either would be quieter than I'm running right now but I do love the look of the stainless.

Just throwing this out for any discussion or previous experience. Thanks for any reponses!

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

Have you tried emailing vintage speed to ask? They can fab up anything you can dream up.

Frankly, if you sent them a crossover pipe and the elbow, they could EASILY make one up for you that matches perfectly, and they might not charge you any extra since they could then make them up for everyone. Who knows, they might even be able to make one to jive with Magnaflow's new Cat setup that's about to come out.

Robbie
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone using Vintage Speed's stainless headers/muffler? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I sent the pics over to VS, will wait to see what they suggest before acting.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: