Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

solar question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flattire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: solar question Reply with quote

Yes I have read everything about solar and I couldn't find the answer to my question. When I add accessories ( like fan etc) I know I put the positive into my fuse bar, but what happens to the negative wire? I run the + & - wire from the solar panels to my controller, then + & - to the battery.. I run wire from battery to fuse bar. I have mppt controller - 6 place fuse bar - 5 20w panels. Hope I am coming thru to you guys! ALL ANSWERS APPRECIATED. flattire
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a ground stud on your stand alone fuse panel. Once it is grounded, you can now use that side of the fuse bar to ground your accessories.

which panel do you have
flattire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: solar Reply with quote

Thanks Newfisher for the reply. I still not sure how to handle it. I have a 6 place fuse bar which is just used for positive connections . Most accessories come with 2 leads=== red & black. I connect the red to my fuse bar and where does the negative go? Do I need another bar for the grounds? I have 5-20 w panels from Solar Ink. Thanks
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body of the van is a ground. Use a ring connector and a self tapping screw (or a factory bolt and a toothed washer) and you have a good ground.

If you want to return wires to a common location, something like this should do the trick nicely: http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Power-Connector/dp/B000XBEPFC . Since it is a ground, you don't need the red rubber boot. Use a short piece of heavy wire to connect the large post to the chassis of the van and then connect the ground wires from your accessories to the smaller screws around the perimeter.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: solar Reply with quote

flattire wrote:
I have a 6 place fuse bar which is just used for positive connections . Most accessories come with 2 leads=== red & black. I connect the red to my fuse bar and where does the negative go? Do I need another bar for the grounds?

The simplest method, IMHO, is to use a Blue Seas-type of fuse panel, which has both + and - buses:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you don't want to go that route, the next simplest method is to, yes, get a ground bus if you have multiple ground connections. Otherwise, you'll attach the - wires to any convenient ground on/in the van (I, personally, prefer them all in one place so I don't have go fishing around should a problem arise... and I don't like piling them all up on one bolt).
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I ground most things locally to the chassis with a ring terminal and a toothed washer. This approach takes way less wire, reduces the spaghetti of wires near the fuse block and doesn't depend on a single ground connection to support all the others like a common bus ultimately does.

I have zero reservations about drilling holes in my van to hook things up though. Many people don't seem to share this point of view Wink

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kamz... I love the Blue Sea blocks with their own Ground bus.

Blue Sea Systems 5025:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000THQ0CQ/ref=as...4NMNFHWHZN

I had a major electrical issue when I bought the van and it took forever to figure it out. It all came down to a ground post that had too many grounds stacked on top of each other which made one ground not connect right.

Since then I switched over to Blue Sea blocks so each ground had its own terminal.

To combat wires everywhere I have 3 of these Fuse blocks in my van. One under the drivers seat. One in the middle westy cabinet and a third inside of a custom cabinet I built that sits behind my passenger seat. I supply power via 8awg wire to these blocks.

My install here:
http://texasvanagons.com/rear-power-distribution-block/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: