Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding oil sump. Pros and cons..
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

To add or not to add!
Yes it's better to add oil sump.
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
No longer needed.
60%
 60%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 20

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benefits of a sump for a daily driver are to the manufacturers of oil and their profit margins.

VW designated an oil change interval so that the oil is changed before its lubricating properties are lost. If you add sump, you can extend that interval in proportion to the new oil capacity, but:

Cooling
Horsepower increases
Curing baldness
Longer engine life

None of these stand up to scrutiny of benchmark tests. I'll wager 99 percent of air cooled engines don't reach end of life cycle due to oil wear but some other reason.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1 1/2 qt on my 70 bus with 2110cc full flow can be tricky with the
'stashbar' & headers Rolling Eyes
no they don't cool the oil! maybe 1 or 2 degrees :shock:The aux cooler with fan does that!
off-road two-tracking is a bit tricky Crying or Very sad but I do it all the time Wink,I've bent the edge of the sump plate on sexStones up here but never broke a sump Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the oil sump this weekend. It was fun in the process and I really noticed the sudden drop in the temperature and how clean the oil stays. But the looks of the oil sump exposed underneath is pretty scary especially on off road situations. I guess that would be a challenge post in the future in the event that our camping venue will require us to travel light off road driving. I am driving the bus to work now and I can feel that the engine is benefiting from that upgrade. I guess, it's worth it.I will post the pics soon!

thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20

Last edited by DONGKG on Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I've bent the edge of the sump plate on sexStones up here but never broke a sump Laughing

Is this some kind of Freudian auto-correct??
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern michigan slang for big "F*&King Rock" Laughing Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONGKG wrote:
I installed the oil sump this weekend. It was fun in the process and I really noticed the sudden drop in the temperature and how clean the oil stays. But the looks of the oil sump exposed underneath is pretty scary especially on off road situations. I guess that would be a challenged post in the future in the event that our camping venue will require us to travel light off road driving. I am driving the bus to work now and I can feel that the engine is benefiting from that upgrade. I guess, it's worth it.I will post the pics soon!

thanks,

Dong

In my previous replies I've stated my opinion of a deep sump maintaining normal oil temperatures on long uphill climbs and the decreased road clearance hazard.

My comments and opinions on Dong's latest post:

As a driver I don't think you will notice a sudden drop in oil temperatures and the way to realistically measure the effect correctly would be with an oil temperature gauge or an IR thermometer. Oil that is too cool could be a problem on short drives in humid or cold weather.

The oil will appear to stay cleaner because of the increased capacity, but the the lubricating qualities of the oil depend on both the contaminants that it collects and the temperatures to which it has been heated.

The deep sump helps maintain normal operating temperatures on long uphill climbs and reduces the amount of horsepower lost due to overheating. The result is better uphill performance.

New equipment is fun to install and test, but the perceptions of change may be chimerical. Loss of ground clearance is real.

Manilla to Baguio with an oil temperature gauge might be a good test of oil temperatures with and without the sump and the results with data would be welcome here.

Aloha
tp
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
DONGKG wrote:
I installed the oil sump this weekend. It was fun in the process and I really noticed the sudden drop in the temperature and how clean the oil stays. But the looks of the oil sump exposed underneath is pretty scary especially on off road situations. I guess that would be a challenged post in the future in the event that our camping venue will require us to travel light off road driving. I am driving the bus to work now and I can feel that the engine is benefiting from that upgrade. I guess, it's worth it.I will post the pics soon!

thanks,

Dong

In my previous replies I've stated my opinion of a deep sump maintaining normal oil temperatures on long uphill climbs and the decreased road clearance hazard.

My comments and opinions on Dong's latest post:

As a driver I don't think you will notice a sudden drop in oil temperatures and the way to realistically measure the effect correctly would be with an oil temperature gauge or an IR thermometer. Oil that is too cool could be a problem on short drives in humid or cold weather.

The oil will appear to stay cleaner because of the increased capacity, but the the lubricating qualities of the oil depend on both the contaminants that it collects and the temperatures to which it has been heated.

The deep sump helps maintain normal operating temperatures on long uphill climbs and reduces the amount of horsepower lost due to overheating. The result is better uphill performance.

New equipment is fun to install and test, but the perceptions of change may be chimerical. Loss of ground clearance is real.

Manilla to Baguio with an oil temperature gauge might be a good test of oil temperatures with and without the sump and the results with data would be welcome here.

Aloha
tp

Yeah, thanks for that one. You are absolutely correct, buddy. The low oil temperature is quite apparent and so with the viscosity quality of the oil. And I can see that the additional volume of oil will be helpful on uphill road trip. So also long drive on the freeway. We'll be going to Baguio tomorrow, I was wondering if we will use the bay window or our so so so boring Toyota fortune......

Thanks.
'67 Splitty Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that is misleading on increasing oil volume is that it takes longer to settle on an operating temperature.

So a hill climb will not heat a larger volume of oil to such a high temperature but the heat is still there and it will run hotter on the down grade for longer to make up for it.

On my bus it does not reach peak oil temperature until it has been driven at 65-70mph for 10 miles. No deep sump as it was lowered by somebody a long time ago...only full flow and long hoses to the cooler adding another 1.5 quarts to the capacity.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that slow warm up is a major reason for engine wear so adding a deep sump if you don't really need it may actually shorten engine life. For myself i will stick with running a high viscosity index synthetic oil (usually a 5w40) and let it do its thing. I have long run enough extra oil so that the stock oil sump is full to overflowing and feel this has a positive effect on engine life.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the step by step I made in installing the oil sump.Although I have posted this already on my bay window thread, I hope this will not be considered as a re-post.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The vice grip came in handy in removing the original small stubs.

Checking on the removed oil strainer and other hardwares needed.

The silicon gasket maker was likewise essential during the installation and the surfaces of both the engine sump and that of the aftermarket oil sump
must be double checked for possible uneven surfaces; otherwise, the chances of the oil leaking is likely to happen.

Tightening each and every bolt required patience and the unnecessary force should not be applied.

The washers were replaced too considering that they were already flat like a sheet of paper.

The bolts of the oil strainer should be tightened equally and evenly and one at a time.

After installing the same, I drove test the bus and left it running of a few minutes.It turned out to be positive. The temperature was moderate and after a few days of driving, the oil stayed clean.

Thanks,

Dong
'67 Splitty Bus
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil sump. Pros and cons.. Reply with quote

I'm thinking about adding the sump only to solve a stripped drain plug.

I've tried a time insert and it did not hold. The drain plug holds well enough, but it does leak. I'd like to avoid the drill and tap method because where does it end? And these cases are rare as it is. If this thing gets stripped, its and easy fix.

Before you get after me for stripping it out in the first place. I've never over torqued the drain plug. I'm sure it has been over tighten over the years which caused the issue in the first place.

I've driving this thing across the country and never had an issue with cooling or thinking I need more oil for any reason. I've done plenty of long climbs and so forth.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding oil sump. Pros and cons.. Reply with quote

They make sumps for Type 4 engines?

Edit: that looks like a modified Type 1 sump. How does it attach? I took mine off a few months installing it because the oil took soooo long to warm up i got yogurt in my oil cap.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
The other thing that is misleading on increasing oil volume is that it takes longer to settle on an operating temperature.

So a hill climb will not heat a larger volume of oil to such a high temperature but the heat is still there and it will run hotter on the down grade for longer to make up for it.

This is... accurate... ish... Your oil temps will just be slower to respond to abuse (long high speeds, long uphills, etc). They may not get quite as hot as without a deep sump (people noting 1-3 degrees), but you wont see the oil temps shoot up on a long uphill, they will raise and to your point lower more gradually. So yeah, the heat is still in there... but heat is just energy, and now that energy is dispersed over a larger quantity of oil. So the oil is working less.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Adding oil sump. Pros and cons.. Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
the oil took soooo long to warm up i got yogurt in my oil cap.

Robbie

That's just another day for us northerners... Push it back in so that yogurt can warm up and become oil again. Because wasting yogurt when there are people starving is just wrong.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Adding oil sump. Pros and cons.. Reply with quote

lived in Los Angeles basin for years with a 1971 bus. Found that a low profile sump was the only way to control oil temps on hot days on long grades. That said, it had to come off every fall and back on every summer. Once outside temps drop below 80F the oil would never warm up if the sump was on.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Adding oil sump. Pros and cons.. Reply with quote

Sumps are for chumps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: